King KX155 display out after intermittent operation

hish747

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hish747
My kx155 display had an issue where the display would flicker out when I pressed the transmit button. After that the display was intermittent and now it's dead. The radio works but there are no numbers displayed. Does this mean the display needs to be replaced or is there another issue that people are aware that may address the issue?

The display on the 155 has a bunch of contacts that get dirty over time. They can be easily cleaned and might fix your issue.

The display on the 155 has a bunch of contacts that get dirty over time. They can be easily cleaned and might fix your issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ray, do you mean in the connectors in the back of the radio that slide into the tray or the ones that connect the screen to the radio?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ray, do you mean in the connectors in the back of the radio that slide into the tray or the ones that connect the screen to the radio?

No. The display, behind the front panel/cover can be popped out (carefully), cleaned and reinstalled very easily. Also, there was a 155 for sale on VAF for parts. It might have a good display but would not power up.

if the display is bad you are SOL. they are not available. king does offer a LCD refit, but its 2k and you still have an old radio that is getting harder and harder to find anybody to work on them. also the driver for the gas display is no longer available. the only place to get one is from one pinball supply house (yes, early digital pinball machines used the same driver chip).
I have two at the shop right now that need to be fixed and I may have to bite the bullet and just replace both radios. I was talking to TKM today as a matter of fact about their slide in replacement. it should be available the first part of the year. cost will be about 4200 bucks. not cheap, but no install cost as it slides right in the king tray and works with the 208 and 209 heads.

bob

I’m having a similar problem with the display on our 12v KX-155 also..
It’s currently in the shop and I’ll post the outcome. ‘Craig

I think it’s TKM, so maybe it’s not coming. Many of us can’t hold out much longer, I have a late model KX-155.

No monitor mode, no playback, no Morse code identifier decoder, no database, no GPS interface, no built-in CDI, no DVOR... but I guess slide-in is pretty important.

does the kx-155 have any of that?

Again, see post # 3. If the display is bad, they can replace it quick, and their prices are fair. We've used them to refurb multiple King items, they know their stuff.

Again, see post # 3. If the display is bad, they can replace it quick, and their prices are fair. We've used them to refurb multiple King items, they know their stuff.

I’m curious, did they fix the specific problem the OP is talking about? Because that is a common issue with the kx-155 and from what I understand is NOT repairable. But if you’re saying it is, that’s news to me and would be good to know.

does the kx-155 have any of that?
No, but aside from databases the SL30 has all of that. It's well before my time, but according to the install manual all those features are from the 1990's. The MX155 is so new that TKM is still working on certification, yet its most advanced feature is the flip-flop button.

No, but aside from databases the SL30 has all of that. It's well before my time, but according to the install manual all those features are from the 1990's. The MX155 is so new that TKM is still working on certification, yet its most advanced feature is the flip-flop button.

Well, I do enjoy just saying ‘flip-flop’, so there that. FLIP-FLOP! Flippity floppity.

I’m curious, did they fix the specific problem the OP is talking about? Because that is a common issue with the kx-155 and from what I understand is NOT repairable. But if you’re saying it is, that’s news to me and would be good to know.

Not specifically the 155, they replaced the display on our 197, and it worked great after that. I'd at least give them a call, can't hurt.

I wouldn’t care about 2nd frequency monitoring, and recording, or similar features. A simple flip-flop & working radio is enough.

Other than cost, isn't it kind of a good thing if your king radios die and you have to replace them?

Mid Continent can repair them (last I checked). Don't waste your time/$ on TKM. Really, it may be time for a GNC 255.

Back