Ribbon cutting with prop.

ksandrew

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ksandrew
Hi Folks.

I have just completed building a hangar out at the farm. the bi-fold door is 16 ft high by 70 feet wide. Planning on a ribbon cutting ceremony during our EAA breakfast, going to taxi into the hangar and cut a ribbon with the prop.
Any experience doing this and what kind of fabric to use for the ribbon. has to be 70 ft long because of the door size. I will be shutting down the engine moments after the cutting. I do not want this to be considered a prop strike of course. Paper would not stand the span needed unless I install fishing line behind it. Any ideas or thoughts.

Life is a barrel of fun.

Ken AndrewIMG_1915.jpg

If you want a video on youtube, try something with kittens. 'Idiot pilot crashes into back wall of hangar' is not the tag you want to be known for.

First that’s a beautiful hangar! I am very jealous!
Second cut the ribbon with anything but your aircraft. I assume there will be a bunch of people there. The last thing you need is a spinning prop.

If you just must do a prop cut, hang it from overhead in a U with the bottom of the U at just the right height.

Congratulations on the new hangar!

Would you normally taxi your plane into your hangar? If so, I don't see a problem. Crepe paper ribbons would work- these, at 82 feet long, would work*:
https://www.amazon.com/Coceca-Streamers-Ceremony,-Festivals-Decoration/dp/B06ZXZ9FWC
You would need to work out some sort of method to keep them at the right height- that stuff usually sags in a short while as the weight of the paper removes the "crepes" that differentiate crepe paper from a plain role of paper. People holding and stretching the ribbon well away from the propeller would work. Do a practice run to make sure it works and nothing unexpected happens, like the plane getting hung on a step.

If you won't normally taxi into the hangar, I'd think twice; the concern is not stopping in time and damaging both the plane and the hangar. An alternative is to taxi the plane out while cutting the ribbon.

* Engine teardown and inspection required after driving through the ribbon since the ribbon will slow the prop :p:p:p

Any ideas or thoughts.
FYI: Even the pros don't use the prop to cut ribbons as most use the vertical fin. But have seen in the past people stretch the ribbon across the door open and when the plane is pushed in via tug the ribbon gets dropped when the rudder/elevator hits it.

The only thing missing from this plan is adding on a gratuitous gender reveal stunt. Maybe the OP could arrive on a straight-in short approach to enter the hangar on the rollout from a STOL competition type landing? I’d watch that video. Twice. Will there be pancakes?

The only thing missing from this plan is adding on a gratuitous gender reveal stunt. Maybe the OP could arrive on a straight-in short approach to enter the hangar on the rollout from a STOL competition type landing? I’d watch that video. Twice. Will there be pancakes?

Like the opposite of the Maule taking off from inside a hangar!

Duct tape a pair of scissors to the end of your prop to make everybody happy.

Toilet paper? Proven in the air

I mean, I get it, but I think it’s stupid. So much could go wrong.

Surveyor flagging tape, the stuff that's used to mark property boundaries. Tied to trees/posts/etc... Its very easy to tear, stronger that paper. Won't hurt anything if cut by a prop.

Surveyor flagging tape, the stuff that's used to mark property boundaries. Tied to trees/posts/etc... Its very easy to tear, stronger that paper. Won't hurt anything if cut by a prop.

OTOH, when it breaks at the far end instead of being sliced by the prop, so that 70' of surveyor tape gets wrapped around the prop hub and melts into plastic goo, you might wish you'd tried a different stunt. :)

Have you considered having someone dressed as an airline stewardess pick up a giant scissors and do the ribbon cutting for you?

upload_2021-10-13_11-15-1.png

OTOH, when it breaks at the far end instead of being sliced by the prop, so that 70' of surveyor tape gets wrapped around the prop hub and melts into plastic goo, you might wish you'd tried a different stunt. :)

Have you considered having someone dressed as an airline stewardess pick up a giant scissors and do the ribbon cutting for you?

View attachment 100905
Halloween is right around the corner...if you needed to find an excuse to ask someone to wear that

And yet no one has a problem yanking and banking to cut a trail of toilet paper in the air.
Any activity you name is as dangerous as you make it.

And yet no one has a problem yanking and banking to cut a trail of toilet paper in the air.

Cutting a ribbon with a prop is not an issue for me, it's doing it while taxing into an hanger with people around that bothers me.

I'd string it across the opening, and push the plane back into its new home, cutting the ribbon with the tail. That's just me, gets the point across, and fewer chances for something to go sideways.

Back