Do you ever sacrifice the quantity of life for...

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
The quality of life?

Drinking? Smoking? Womanizing? Manizing? What vice are you willing to indulge in that will result in a shorter life?

Flying is a good one. And I have obviously partaken in that. But that is not what we are talking about.

I guess my question is, what is worth giving up your life for having enjoyment right now?

I never felt that any of those improved my quality of life.

Correct answer young man. But my post was not intended for those like yourself that are well grounded. Well, actually it was. I want to hear from all perspectives.

not sure how 'womanizing' would shorten one's lifespan, short of your peter falling off.

I smoked when I was younger, greatest thing I ever done did, giving those nasty lil fokkers up.

booze? yes, I like my booze.

also not sure how flying would shorten one's life unless, well, u know.

so I guess my answer is, imma have fun until the fat lady sings.

not sure how 'womanizing' would shorten one's lifespan, short of your peter falling off.

I smoked when I was younger, greatest thing I ever done did, giving those nasty lil fokkers up.

booze? yes, I like my booze.

also not sure how flying would shorten one's life unless, well, u know.

so I guess my answer is, imma have fun until the fat lady sings.

I feel like I'm talking to myself.

I keep hearing a lot of good things about crack. Might try that sometime...

I feel like it’s all about balance. Would you rather live a long life but a boring one, or would you rather live an exciting life to an average life expectancy? As great as it would be to live a long, long time, I think most of us would choose the latter.

None of us ever know when our last day will be, so I’m a firm believer of not feeling too guilty for participating in some of life’s simple pleasures from time to time.

I take holidays in places like Yemen, Sudan, Iran, North Korea. Some people think that’s crazy.

There's no right answer. Jimmy Valvano summed it up better than I could in his ESPY award speech. Short version, it's not about the length, it's about the quality. I fly, statistically that increases my risk. About twenty years ago I did some volunteer work, turns out that statistically increases my risk. I do try to avoid soy products, that decreases my risk a bit. I probably work too much, that's a risk increase.

The quality of life?

Drinking? Smoking? Womanizing? Manizing? What vice are you willing to indulge in that will result in a shorter life?

Flying is a good one. And I have obviously partaken in that. But that is not what we are talking about.

I guess my question is, what is worth giving up your life for having enjoyment right now?
Can't think of much I'd give my life up for. But as far as doing things that might shorten it, that would be just about anything that is fun. The code I live by is:

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving
safely in a well-preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out,
and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

And when I gotta go I want it to be in the sack by a single shot to the back of the head by a jealous husband

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

~George Best

Some folks say that I've got the perfect life
Three swell kids, lots of toys and a lovely wife
I fly, I sail, I throw caution to the wind
Drift like a stratus cloud above the Carribean
But every now and then, the dragons come to call
Just when you least expect it you'll be dodgin' cannon balls

Birthdays.
Birthdays really limit the quantity of life.
No one on either side of my family has ever made it to 73.
I'm 72.

Research has proven that the more birthdays you have, the longer you live. :)

We deal with this in the Steinholme. Mrs. Steingar has the metabolism of an obese alcoholic. She is neither of those things, nonetheless her metabolism is badly out of whack. The only things I can think of she could give up to ameliorate things are the whole grain sourdough breads I turn out every other week and her little bit of chocolate she has for desert. The former isn't that big a deal, but the latter certainly is, and gets into quality of life issues.

Gotta keep moving as you get older.
2021090320210903DSCN5666-L.jpg

I'm retired, but I'm working my A** off. The job certainly shortened my life. My class mates are dropping like flys in their 60's. Now trying to clean up stuff so I can really retire, its also stressful and a lot of work. So work till you die. I also like to ride my murdercycle, and I drive our horrible highways and hunting and shooting sports. Never was handsome enough to womenize so I'm still with the first one. Never smoked, but I like food and drink. Work life balance always eluded me.

If I saw folks that eat only tofu and chicken breast live to 100 healthy I’d be all over it… but I don’t… so I’m going to have cake, vitamin D milk, rib-eye steak, fly planes, a cocktail, I should quit smoking but honestly I enjoy it still…

my brother was picture of health, passed a physical for a promotion to the state police department and dropped dead a Saturday after that walking into the outfield playing softball at 23… I was 8, I’m 41 now.

eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die!

I told my oldest son if the chips fall that I don’t get a long run because of my indulgences know that I chose quality over quantity…

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy cow, what a ride!

I agree but no one would believe I would say “holy cow” lol

The only thing I can say about womanizing is I plead guilty, show no remorse and wish I’d done more.

amen amen I say to you!

I taught my boys everyone ya miss or turn down you’re one behind the rest of your life that ya can’t make up… and remember even a moped is fun to ride if you’re buddies don’t see ya! :)

…what is worth giving up your life for having enjoyment right now?
A lot of things, but your question presents a binary choice which is not how life works for the most part. QoL is very subjective and none of us know when our time will be up, so I believe in the philosophy of living my fullest life given the risks I’m willing to manage.

A lot of things, but your question presents a binary choice which is not how life works for the most part. QoL is very subjective and none of us know when our time will be up, so I believe in the philosophy of living my fullest life given the risks I’m willing to manage.

well put!

Many folks I know over 80 seem to average 3 doctor appts per week, mobility issues and the dreaded dementia/Alzheimer’s. Aging is not easy, so there’s a plus side to not outliving your body. Probably not a popular view, but it’s just the way I see it. I am not endorsing euthanasia, but just know that once you’re into your 80’s it’s usually all down hill. Medical science can keep you going, but are you really enjoying life?

Ride motorcycles
Fly airplanes
Crew on foredecks of sailboats
Commute by bicycle
Used to hang glide, may take that up again
Paragliding interests me
Like my beer
Like my brown liquor
Like a big juicy burger and good fries

Other than that, I don't do anything dangerous or bad.

Back