What to include? (Jump Pilot)

Fly4Fun!

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fly4Fun!
Low time commercial pilot here...

Currently, I am looking for a jump pilot gig to build time. I was planning on shooting an email to all jump operations within ~120 mile range.

What should that email look like? A resume? What should be included?

Thanks a bunch!

For starters, don't say you will fly for free. That just cheapens the profession.

Including a resume would be good along with a letter of introduction stating what you are looking for and why.

Better yet, deliver it in person.

Might try looking into being a lineman at a busy airport. Being in the right place at the right time has netted a lot of folks their first jobs.

Good luck. That first flying job can be very elusive.

It's been a loooong time since I've been in that game, but I agree with @Zeldman that rolling up in person and shaking a few hands would be the best way to get your resume out there.

Being available right now seems to have more value to employers than having the best qualifications, at least where I live in the Midwest. All the entry level jobs I got either came from showing up and talking with the employer or from working at the local FBO. It would probably be a good idea to have a resume written up and ready to hand out but I never needed one.

Second the hanging out.

You may want to pick up on “ customs”.

Initiation here included last jumper out shuts off ignition AND takes key!

Carrying a spare is important.

I’ve hired a couple that simply showed up, never checked a logbook initially.

High turn over with jump outfits, and not much of a HR department to handle resumes and such. Show up and introduce yourself.

Low time commercial pilot here...

Currently, I am looking for a jump pilot gig to build time. I was planning on shooting an email to all jump operations within ~120 mile range.

What should that email look like? A resume? What should be included?

Thanks a bunch!

I suggest trying to get a pipeline patrol job.

Second the pipeline patrol. Less of one hour, hundreds of times that you have in skydiving. Pipe line is demanding of navigational skills, precision low level maneuvering, and constant head swiveling. You must get accurate views of the terrain, without hitting anything, and recording what you see, with exact location information.

You may traverse half a dozen states in the course of your monthly patrol cycle, and make many real weather decisions, distant from your dispatch location. You are distinctly pilot in command, and future potential employers recognize this.

Patrol has no passengers who have variable mental capacity, which can cause adventure with skydiving.

I have not done this personally, but have had several friends who did, and they were outstanding pilots. I also have had friends who were sky diving pilots, and they learned terrible habits.

Don't email, show up in person with resume. But remember that you'll likely be the forth pilot with a resume in hand they met that day. Make yourself stand out by talking more about what you're willing to do for them (i.e. non-flying value add stuff like keeping the grass mowed and cleaning toilets) than asking about what they can do for you (i.e. how flight time will I get?).

Many folks that work at a DZ get their job because they hang out there all the time...
If you can afford to get your skydiving A-license, that would go a long way.
Many of the jump pilots where i used to jump where skydivers as well.
Those that where not skydivers, usually where not good jump pilots....

Look up what they fly in advance, if you are talking to a king air only DZ with a fresh CSEL you won't make it very far.

Also a general word of unsolicited advice. If you get offered a gig, take it and enjoy the snot out of it. But make sure you go into it with a solid plan to move on before your 24 month anniversary. I've known very happy jump pilots and I've known lifer jump pilots. I've never known one who was both. Not saying they don't exist, but if they do, they're certainly rare.

Totally hijacking... but my dad told a nitwit he was getting a BFR from actually tricked him into SHUTTING DOWN his ONLY engine inflight...

WHA???!!!!!

He thought it was good training. I thought he should lighten the load by throwing him out first!

Back