3 miles, mist.

@Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe thanks for posting. How cool, strange, and unusual.

Love to have seen the METAR. Weather station likely sits 12-16 feet in the air. Yeah, no way to report a 4’ ceiling.

That's pretty cool. It was fog and an eighth of a mile, with tops at 3,000' at my home field until 11:00 this morning. Someone in a CTLS (soon followed by a Bonanza) departed in it. They both disappeared at 100' AGL. The CTLS was waay off of CL when he passed my hangar.

We see it frequently at KTTA because the airport is right next to a swamp. As the temps drop, the fog forms over the swamp and spills onto the runway. The only time it caught me, the visibility dropped to 1/2 mile just as the wheels touched down. The only thing you can really see from above is that the lights are a little hazy.

I have been told that a low pass will cause the air to mix, but I don't know if that's true.

"...the ONZ airport is IFR, state intentions..."

Radiation fog?
Dunno.
The south end of ONZ is right against Lake Erie (or the very end of the Detroit River, depending on exactly where you draw the line), so fog could have drifted in from the lake - when I first got there (15-20 minutes before the picture) everything south of the hangars was covered.

Suburban airport, now closed, is next to some very low swampy steam bottom.

One evening, I took off for some practice of instrument maneuvers, with a safety pilot.

Returning, the runway was completely obscured for half its length (There is a significant up grade to the north).

We clicked the lights on, they were clearly visible, and I did the normal pattern and landed. The runway ahead mostly disappeared, but the lights remained visible for at least one light, but the center line was not visible over the nose. The depth reduced as we went up the runway, and the runway ahead appeared before the runway to the side did, and we turned off at the midpoint, which was merely fuzzy. My co pilot was observing other directions than I, and commented on the disturbance to the surface as our prop wash and wing lift changed the surface of the "milk" we were landing into.

I guess that the depth of fog at the touchdown point might have been 10 feet. I did not drive home on the road that went down and over the creek!

Back