Fun trip to Astoria - Goonies Filming Locations!

I love going to Astoria and dragging my kids to all of the film locations. We go a couple time a year and drive to the house every time.

Astoria is a great place, my wife keeps looking at houses there. Never bothered with the Goonies or Short Circuit spots, though. Fort Stevens is a real interesting visit, too...the only place on the American mainland shelled by the Japanese during WWII. They have several of the batteries restored.

The house we live in now was built by a family which included one of the future stars of the first "Twilight" movie. Even have his name written on the concrete floor of our garage. Certainly didn't advertise that when the movie came out! Told my boss, though. He had a teenage daughter, and she and her friends came by and scoped out the house.

Ron Wanttaja

I did find the history of Astoria very interesting. The information about the Columbia river boat pilots was interesting- apparently it is very challenging to go up the river to Portland so they have special crews that get helicoptered onto the boats to drive them up the river.

The movie choices are interesting…. Especially the second one.

We had a great time flying the LPV approach into Astoria from Bend to visit some Goonies filming locations. GA is awesome. :)
That was a trip down memory lane for me. Not so much Astoria and the Goonies. Seen the movie and have been to Astoria countess times, I was raised in Portland and live nearby about half the year nowadays. It was a flight over the Cascades about 10 years ago that got me back into flying after have taken about 25 years away from it. Sisters 6K5 to Pearson(vancouver) KVUO. Gorgeous day, visibility about unlimited, mountains still covered in snow, it was Springtime. Could see Rainier to the North and Crater Lake to South. I was on the phone the next day scheduling a plane and an Instructor to knock the rust off and get a Flight Review. Thanks for sharing your flight

Fun video without a click-bait title, the way I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Fun video without a click-bait title, the way I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Exactly. Thanks for sharing! Always enjoy your work. Especially the way you capture the family aspect of flying. Thanks again!

(side note - my 11 year old loves Goonies. We have been introducing her to all the 80s classics - Back to the Future, ET, Goonies, Ferris Bueller.. she loves 'em)

The smile on your wife's face as the kids were discussing the facets of the movie and inside baseball of film brought a smile to my face. Proud momma!

Exactly. Thanks for sharing! Always enjoy your work. Especially the way you capture the family aspect of flying. Thanks again!

(side note - my 11 year old loves Goonies. We have been introducing her to all the 80s classics - Back to the Future, ET, Goonies, Ferris Bueller.. she loves 'em)
We did the same. The only time I have ever lied to my kids is when I told them there are only 3 Indiana Jones movies. LOL

We did the same. The only time I have ever lied to my kids is when I told them there are only 3 Indiana Jones movies. LOL
That's not even a lie. There was a piece of high-budget fan fiction produced a few years back, but it's not exactly an Indiana Jones movie in any meaningful sense.

My wife is the Goonies fan in the family, but I just wanted to thank you for the descriptive and non-clickbait description.

Haven't seen it but I'll sing along with the Cindy Lauper song unashamedly:)
Love your family time Vids, so jealous. Does your wife have a single sister? ive struck out on making a redheaded baby so far.

Last edited:
Astoria was the long x-c I flew when I was training for PPC. Chosen for my own quest of One-Eyed Willie's treasures. That sort of adventure is exactly why I bought a plane. Great share @FlyingMonkey !!

Back