Avionics

cherokeeflyboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokeeflyboy
Looking at a PA28-180 to buy that has the following. opinions please!

• King KA-134 Audio Panel
  • Magellan Skynav 5000 VFR GPS
  • Narco 121 & 122 Navs
  • Apollo SL-40 Comms
  • Garmin GTX-320A Transponder
  • King KR-86 ADF
  • BFG WX-900 Stormscope
  • Troll Avionics Hypervox Intercom
  • Avionics Master Switch

Sounds OK to me overall, but I'm not sure you will be able to get support for that GPS. Don't have any idea what a "Troll" intercom is. Are those Narcos the newer ones like I think they are? If so, probably won't be any worries. I hear that once the selectors wear out on the older models, repairing them (if you can) is a $$$ proposition. I've flown an older Cherokee with the older Narco nav units, and they worked fine. I actually prefer the frequency selector with the nav head.

This panel must have been designed by a conservative financial advisor -- "diversify"! The Magellan GPS is probably the weakest link -- I'd be looking to replace it with a more up-to-date IFR GPS and dump the ADF.

Actually, Narco 122/121 are ancient.

Consider that this one has a Transponder and one comm, the SL40. The Audiopanel is a piece of junk. No amplifiers, no resistive isolation, just switches.
Check to see that the Stormscope has the updated cable to match the software upgrade. The upgrade without the new cable is a disaster. BTDT.

Last edited:
If its not by chance the D(igital) model as in 122D, they certainly are.

Nav 122's are still supported. The 122D is the new digital replacement.

I've got a nearly ancient Narco Nav-12/GS in my panel. It still works good, knock on wood - well royalite anyway.

cherokeeflyboy said:
Looking at a PA28-180 to buy that has the following. opinions please!
  • King KA-134 Audio Panel
  • Magellan Skynav 5000 VFR GPS
  • Narco 121 & 122 Navs
  • Apollo SL-40 Comms
  • Garmin GTX-320A Transponder
  • King KR-86 ADF
  • BFG WX-900 Stormscope
  • Troll Avionics Hypervox Intercom
  • Avionics Master Switch

Have an avionics shop verify that the avionics are working properly. At least if they were functioning properly, you could delay buying upgrades for awhile.

Eeeee. That reminds me of my panel. Run away, run away. Unless its priced so you can justify ripping it out and starting over, run away fast.

Don't have any idea what a "Troll" intercom is.

I thought it was a two short guys who sit in the footwells and repeat what the guy in the other seat said.

With the asking price and "old" avionics I am going to pass on this one, thanks guys for your input...........KD

cherokeeflyboy said:
  • Avionics Master Switch

OH MY GOD! Somebody actually found a Cherokee with an AVIONICS MASTER SWITCH!!! :rofl:

Sorry, I found it funny that the seller actually listed this as a "feature" or "installed avionics". Made me think he was desperate to make the list look "longer".

Of course, maybe it is of a vintage where they didn't come standard, and he had it added after the fact--I guess in that case it would make sense to list it. Still, it struck me as funny.

Back