Is it loud enough?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Has anyone ever been in a restaurant and complained that the music wasn't loud enough? When I go to a restaurant, I am rarely alone. Instead, I am usually with someone I want to talk to. But restaurants are usually so loud I can't hear what anyone is saying until there is a break in the music.

There are several places we like the food, but will not go there any more due to the noise levels. When you have to nearly shout to be heard by the wait staff, it's not an enjoyable meal time.
One place removed all the carpet, installed a huge rock wall and fireplace and now it echos like crazy. Another place has exposed concrete floors, absolutely flat walls and music played at a level that it creates ripples in a drink sitting on a steady table.

If I can't hold a conversation without raising my voice to above what I need at the table at home, I'm done with the restaurant.

Has anyone ever been in a restaurant and complained that the music wasn't loud enough? When I go to a restaurant, I am rarely alone. Instead, I am usually with someone I want to talk to. But restaurants are usually so loud I can't hear what anyone is saying until there is a break in the music.
Yea I want to be able to talk at a low level while I eat somewhere with my wife.

We were in Holland Mi about a month ago and we went to a place called Crazy Horse Steakhouse.

That place was awesome!! Great atmosphere, really good food, really good service and what I liked a lot was the quiet, perfect sound inside. They had what appeared to be 2 separate sound absorbing systems hanging from the open ceiling all over the place. Maybe it was one system? I don't know for sure but it sure worked.

We went back for second time for lunch the next day, food both times was outstanding.

It had a bar joist construction with round air vents with 15-20 ceilings. I wish I would have taken a picture but I don't do that in restaurants. It really made a difference was really enjoyable place to dine. Definitely going back. The place was packed and we all could talk down low and hear each other. It was a very effective solution to noise.

Crazy Horse Steakhouse, check it out.

Last edited:
We left dollar bills pinned to the wall also before we left.
Here is a link to it.
https://www.crazyhorsesteakhouse.com/

Last edited:
Typically restaurants, when busy, play music loud in an attempt to get people out as fast as they can. The quicker you leave after eating the more customers that get pushed through. It's all about making sales....how many people can we get in and push out. Music helps with that, just another tool in the bag for them.

The big problem with restaurants today is the open ceilings creating a very noisy environment just from the patrons talking. Then they crank up the music thinking that some how makes it better.

Back