Engine monitor benefits

If you don’t read Mike Busch, at least watch his YouTube seminars on the subject. Prolly answer any questions for you!

I have an JPI830. I would do it again, no hesitation.

Fuel savings is possible by running more accurately on the lean side -- IF you want to run the LOP slower power settings -- on a Lyc 360, I have no idea if there are tangible savings to be had. Someone with experience in one will need to chime in. I ran my Lycs ROP generally, even on the IO360 Super Mouse that we installed an Insight G3 in, so no savings resulted there.

I had a CGR30P combo installed in my bird last December. I like it a lot. There were a few things that made I up my mind. I took the advanced engine monitor class and learned a lot, so I put in a used JPI EDM800. It worked OK but was not that user friendly to me. Then my gauge cluster started to fail and my AI and I came up with a good update plan. Now that it is finished I really like it, and it is much more user friendly to me.

I know you are not interested in LOP operations and I respect that. I strongly suggest you consider taking the advanced engine management class anyway. If you own your own airplane engine operation decisions you make affect longevity and economy of flight. The information in the class is based on advanced dynamometer testing and is rooted in science. When I took the class the 1st segment was free, and all 5 segments were $500. I have more than paid for it in fuel savings, but the real benefit to me is the knowledge I gained. When I operate my bird I know I am using procedures that do not harm and perhaps prolong engine life. I know this. The guess work is out of the picture. So instead of spending money on the monitor, why not spend a little money on knowledge first? Then you'll know if getting an engine monitor is right for you.

Where did you find this engine management class?

Sadly no, as I do not have a million dollars, at least not liquid. But easily my favorite movie line ever. My wife does not think it is nearly as funny.

Funny how wives are about that one...

OP follow up: I installed an EDM 830 during recent engine overhaul. Wondering how I lived without it. Huge asset during break in. And added peace of mind during night XC.

If I had a do-over, I would have gone with the 900 or 930 to free up panel space. I had the notion that I wanted to keep my analog primary gauges, but I never look at them.

I installed my 830 a few weeks ago just before a 14 hour XC round trip.

My compressions, oil analysis, and borescopes have looked fine for the 6 years and 400 hours prior. I decided I’m going to continue my “analog procedures” while using the JPI to see “digitally” where I have been operating the mill.

So rather than leaning right off the bat to some CHT and EGT that is supposed to be right, I’m operating as I have been because my engine is happy. As I begin to learn what happy looks like digitally, I’ll simply move to the digital display and use the analog as backup.

What have I learned in 14 hours? My analog MP and FF were off by about 1” high and 1 gph high. So I conservatively pulled out a bit of power, and also leaned out a tad. Fuel usage seems to now agree. CHTs and EGTs are nowhere near “limits”. It all makes sense.

My favorites are oil temp, oil pressure, and voltage. I like to have them visible and if problematic they will flash letting me know I’m about to have issues. Eye opening how oil temp comes up around the right time for the run up.

61136FB5-CA71-4393-BC7C-4F833F6C3B0E.jpeg893C4D75-5B52-4714-8199-307F97B980B9.jpeg

Back