Vaping in the cockpit.

I was apprentice for a guy who smoked 3 packs of cigs a day in the late 1970s. I spent a lot time in break rooms watching him smoke. My father in law was a heavy smoker also. I was at both of their bedsides before they died early from smoking.
I was a Local #697 apprentice in the late 70’s. The smokers without exception do not draw much out our pension…

If there’s an accident, the FAA will find your baking device and it will be noted in a public investigation record. Then everyone will know you vape.

is it really worth the risk?
Please, for the love of God. Clear my browser history!

We had a gorgeous little Cessna 150 in our club 30 years ago. One of the founding member/ instructors lit up in the cockpit. Pitching in on maintenance, I found myself with a bottle of fantastik spray cleaner attempting to dissolve the orange goo from the nice white headliner. It was a nasty chore. My mechanic impressed on me the vast amount of air intake through the vac system. The smoke would have to gum up a gyro.

Is there anything besides health, societal pressure and rug burns or smell in rentals that makes smoking in a plane a big No-No?
I don’t think so. I have a couple thousand hours logged smoking in an airplane.

but it was an airplane with no gyros or vacuum system. I think that would be the most harmed aircraft components.

I would order the American meal (a real menu item) and sit smoking a Marlboro while they brought me a McRib sandwich and a Miller Lite in a bottle. Yes, a beer at MCD.

Ya know...they have good beer in Germany. I'll let you slide on the Marlboro, as times were different then, but a ordering a Miller Lite, in Deutschland?

Ya know...they have good beer in Germany. I'll let you slide on the Marlboro, as times were different then, but a ordering a Miller Lite, in Deutschland?

it came as part of the meal. Definitely not my normal choice but it was a fun thing to do at McD.

It's not meant as a class statement, it's more of an intelligence statement. I really don't get it from someone able to hold down a decent job and fly an airplane.
Yeah. I don’t hold down a job. But I do employ about 70 people that do

FYI, there are published studies (including one conducted by undergraduate researchers at Bucknell) that show that vaping, especially a higher power settings and with flavored vaping liquids, produce significant concentrations of carbon monoxide, aldehydes, and acrolein. It is still a practice best to be avoided for optimal health.

What @chemgeek said. That and it's addictive as all get out. Why anyone would want that kind of addiction is beyond me.

If you vape or smoke in the cockpit of either of my planes on the ground or in the air, I will be very polite about it, but I will invite you to leave my airplane. I will, however, offer enough respect to wait until we are on the ground and until it is safe for you to exit.

In the late 80s the Army decided to ban smoking in Aircraft…and since the ban did not really work the Army Safety Center had units rivet the ashtrays shut in all the UH-1s and AH-1s…UH-60s and OH-58 had no ashtrays and neither did the AH-64 coming on line…everyone switched to empty coke cans or out the window depending on airplane…

The time savings and the ability to to smoke a plane are the main reasons my boss has our two airplanes. Surprisingly it has not been an extra maintence problem. I admit the smokers are on the plane less then 50% of the time now. In the past 7 years we have sold close to 1B dollars of property that I know of.

What @chemgeek said. That and it's addictive as all get out. Why anyone would want that kind of addiction is beyond me.

Vaping is not addictive as all get out. You can't throw a blanket over the subject like that.

More myth. More bull..... from those that don't know, yet who are willing to spread untruth.

The cigarettes and cigars I used to crave are addictive.

Today, I honestly have the ability to put down, or pick up my e-cig anytime I choose.

Experience speaking here......

Way too much bull smoke being blown here.....

I vape in my airplane regularly, and have done so for probably a decade. I have a bubble canopy, and vacuum gyro instruments.

I have zero film on the glass, and there's nothing on the regulator filter.

Including some you are blowing. Vape juice with nicotine is every bit as addictive as cigarettes were/are. Less harmful in some ways, but we are discovering risky in others.

There is an epidemic of vaping among college kids. Most are using nicotine. They are getting just as addicted as you were.

Vaping was indeed a huge health breakthrough for former smokers. I'm happy for you and all the other people whose lives were improved as a result. But as former smokers die off, what's left is a generation of kids being screwed by the same predatory industry in a whole new way. You can tell by the crazy graphics in all those vape shops they aren't targeting 40 year old former smokers.

Yeah. I don’t hold down a job. But I do employ about 70 people that do

And I find that baffling. I'm sure there are exceptions, but these days you can't really be a dummy and be in business. Not for more than a couple of years anyway, unless you're related to the owner. Likewise, flying a plane requires enough common sense that Darwin weeds out the weaker ones after a while. So what makes a full sized adult look at the smoking/vaping hobby and think "yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Let's try that." Putting it another way, we have a tragic heroin problem today, and back in the 80's there was a cocaine problem...there were otherwise intelligent business people who were caught up in cocaine. But it's 2021, and it's a plastic toy that looks like a kazoo marketed to children. I just don't get it from adults that otherwise seem to have their lives together.

Reading this entire thread I feel the need to say this....

I hated smoking and smokers as a kid. My aunt would feel creeped out when she rode in the backseat with me and cracked the window to blow smoke out. I did my best to make her feel uncomfortable.

She died of emphysema almost 30 years ago.

I started smoking in 1996 while on guard duty. I was standing in the snow while guarding a motorpool in Germany and my NCO offered me a smoke. He said that it would make me feel better and it did. I was so cold... the gear I was issued wasn't as good as my hunting gear in Washington.

I stopped smoking in 2009 when I promised my 2nd wife that I would before returning from Iraq. My 2nd tour over there wasn't nearly as rough as the first and I smoked half a pack while standing in the line for the bus to our plane. I have had a puff here and there over the years but it wasn't a big deal to walk away.

Vaping as I understand it has oils and things that are more dangerous in the short term while smoking is a long term risk.

And I find that baffling. I'm sure there are exceptions, but these days you can't really be a dummy and be in business. Not for more than a couple of years anyway, unless you're related to the owner. Likewise, flying a plane requires enough common sense that Darwin weeds out the weaker ones after a while. So what makes a full sized adult look at the smoking/vaping hobby and think "yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Let's try that." Putting it another way, we have a tragic heroin problem today, and back in the 80's there was a cocaine problem...there were otherwise intelligent business people who were caught up in cocaine. But it's 2021, and it's a plastic toy that looks like a kazoo marketed to children. I just don't get it from adults that otherwise seem to have their lives together.

You should get out more often is all I can say. Your first comment was fairly classist in every sense of the term. Smoking is bad, no one is disputing that. it’s also a personal choice. You do you, let others do their thing.

Absolutely a personal choice. I just don't get it. Classist? No. Insulting of the less intelligent? I was, and I apologize for that...and no joke, I've known a couple of members of team glitter that were pretty damn smart. Self destructive maybe, but smart.

I have my own bad habits, and like that I have the right to entertain them. The smoking one is one I don't get. It's interesting, the post above, most everyone I've known either picked up smoking as a kid, or as deployed military - sometimes both. From what I gather, South Korea in particular used to be 90% smoking after learning to walk. I have met a couple of people who picked up smoking from hanging out in bars, but they were always the "follower" type personality. I don't associate that with either pilots or business people.

Including some you are blowing. Vape juice with nicotine is every bit as addictive as cigarettes were/are. Less harmful in some ways, but we are discovering risky in others.

There is an epidemic of vaping among college kids. Most are using nicotine. They are getting just as addicted as you were.

Vaping was indeed a huge health breakthrough for former smokers. I'm happy for you and all the other people whose lives were improved as a result. But as former smokers die off, what's left is a generation of kids being screwed by the same predatory industry in a whole new way. You can tell by the crazy graphics in all those vape shops they aren't targeting 40 year old former smokers.

What I said was twisted...again...

I said......Vaping is not addictive as all get out. You can't throw a blanket over the subject like that.........

I weaned myself off nicotine using the e-cig.

I'm glad to see the youngsters vaping today, because it's a much better choice, with multitudes more of options, than what we had to choose from back in the day.

Would you rather see all those young people smoking cigarettes today?

Or, (they are going to puff on something) would you rather they puff on an e-cig with which they can control what they are inhaling?

I know I'm wasting my breath here, so, you win.

What I said was twisted...again...

I said......Vaping is not addictive as all get out. You can't throw a blanket over the subject like that.........

I weaned myself off nicotine using the e-cig.

I'm glad to see the youngsters vaping today, because it's a much better choice, with multitudes more of options, than what we had to choose from back in the day.

Would you rather see all those young people smoking cigarettes today?

Or, (they are going to puff on something) would you rather they puff on an e-cig with which they can control what they are inhaling?

I know I'm wasting my breath here, so, you win.

I took part of his post to mean that there are many younger folks getting into vaping who likely wouldn’t have started smoking or chewing, rather than either/or. I would guess that there are many folks who saw a stigma and/or known hazards in traditional nicotine sources that saw no harm in the “safe” alternative known as vaping. As a result the problem is worse, not better since a new group is hooked. The fact that you could stop anytime is but one data point, and in my experience with friends who vape, the exception to the rule.

Vaping is not addictive as all get out. You can't throw a blanket over the subject like that.

More myth. More bull..... from those that don't know, yet who are willing to spread untruth.

The cigarettes and cigars I used to crave are addictive.

Today, I honestly have the ability to put down, or pick up my e-cig anytime I choose.

Experience speaking here......

I vape in my airplane regularly, and have done so for probably a decade. I have a bubble canopy, and vacuum gyro instruments.

I have zero film on the glass, and there's nothing on the regulator filter.

it’s wonderful that you have overcome the craving, but since you have been successful with that accomplishment, why would you even dream of again picking up a vape, or whatever you call it?

Taking a slightly different point of view; I’ve been smoking in planes for 35+ years ( when possible with window open) and had zero maintenance issues ( headliner does turn a disgusting shade of yellow though..). As what comes out when you vape is mostly water vapor, I’d guess that vaping would have zero effect.

Back