Checkride without Foreflight?

If I were the DPE I would be suspicious of a student who could not plan and fly without ForeFlight, but that’s just me. A watch, a plotter and an E6B are just not complicated. Even if you’re never going to fly without ForeFlight ever again after your checkride I believe that a prospective pilot should understand the bare fundamentals of flight planning and navigation. It gives you a good perspective about what’s going on in in your EFB.

My $0.02,

FF's Aeronautical map mode is heaven-sent. Its ability to declutter complex airspace is pretty incredible. Add to that the fact that the airspace is color coded based on whether it'll be a factor at your current altitude.....very handy as a check & balance when you're dealing with Deltas, under Charlies near a Bravo!

Yes I used it for check ride. My DPE said he was suspicious of someone who would not use available aids. You still have to fly by pilotage, landmarks, etc. And have a paper sectional handy as a back up.

M2C - stop all training of the E6b, plotters, etc. Let it go - it’s time has come and gone, like the slide rule, etc.

Back