Extremely minor aviation pet peeves...

I always want to make a t shirt with a stick figure of someone holding a roll of toilet paper in one hand and a bottle of mouth wash in the other with the caption "ATM Machine" just to see what percentage of the population gets it.

A greater percent than will admit to knowing... you know, whatever you are talking about there... means.

"I could care less" implies that the writer cares to some degree, so in that sense, you're right, but the statement does not rule out the possibility that they might actually care a lot. I don't think that's what people are trying to convey when they say it.

When I was young, no one ever said "I could care less." It was always "I couldn't care less," which conveys the idea that they care so little that it would not be possible to care less.
Well I could give a rats ass, but I won't. Do you know their value in a Somali prison? :happydance:

Referring to paved aircraft ramps as “tarmac”; “tarmac” is a material, not a place.

The official FAA term is Apron. The Webster dictionary doesn’t include part of an airport under its definition of Apron.

I suspect Tarmac is a term left over from the days of grass runways and the area planes were parked were paved pads so you weren’t in the mud to load and unload.

..says the user with an avatar that has the copilot's side wing strut but is missing the pilot's side (that might make my list of minor pet peeves)
That is a drawing of a rare-- and outrageously valuble--1968 1/2 Cessna 150I, the "eye" waa built as the ultimate patrol craft and had a special cantilevered left wing to give the pilot a better view :)

Commercial grade certificate as a “rating”.

Instructors who can’t just answer a simple question. Instead it’s 45 minutes of them proving how good they are at flipping through and of the FAA pubs.

Any aircraft announcing a long final to a busy airport with planes in the pattern.

Pilots who at the hold short line, do all their GPS programming. I had an instructor in the way back who was actually encouraging this.

“It was the first time I ever got drunk”

A minor annoying situation is when my local AWOS phone number periodically goes off the air because the FBO uses some kluged up internet phone system that only one person in the universe can operate and he’s “unavailable”.

Cheers

Any aircraft announcing a long final to a busy airport with planes in the pattern.

Slow movers doing repetitive laps who believe even faster cross country full stop aircraft should have to go to the end of the line rather than mesh a straight in with existing traffic. This is especially aggravating when the slow movers pattern speed is below the stall speed of the inbound full stop aircraft yet the slow repetitive lapper still thinks the faster traffic should somehow have to merge in behind them.

fast movers who think.... oh wait. This thread about "extremely minor..."

never mind.

I rent and it pains me to fly behind someone who left finger prints on the screens of a G1000. They’re clearly NOT touchscreen displays and its not the easiest to clean because you can’t use just anything to wipe them off.

People who fart in the airplane then lock it up tight for the next person...

Loose belts in a Cessna tend to get between the seat rollers and the rail, and they get torn up. That gets expensive. We taught the students to clip the lap belts together to prevent that.

We also taught them to never put the headset on the glareshield. They scratch the windshield, and the magnets in the earcup speakers can trash the compass after a while.

Fastening the seat belts is a safety function from both the military and 135 ops. As a passenger, you have to demonstrate at a bare minimum that you can operate the seatbelt by unfastening it, in order to fasten your seat belt initially. Having the seatbelts fastened from from the get-go is just a simple forcing function.

5 out of the 6 seatbelts are fastened like that in my aircraft. Nobody but me sits in my seat ;)

I learned to fly at a Navy flying club, and my instructor taught me to always leave the plane w/ the seatbelt buckled and pulled tight. I still do that today, unless I know I no else has the plane next, like when I take it on a trip. But when I get back home, that is the way I leave it. It rankles me that one of my partners leaves the seatbelts in disarray every single time. I'll never saying anything to him, but you'd think he would find it convenient to always find the seatbelts in an orderly manner, and pick up on it.

Perhaps that should be added to the post flight checklist, just like turning off the fuel and installing the control lock.

Using the term airplane or aircraft for helicopters is very much US Army vernacular…with four subgroups…Gun/Attack…Scouts…Lift or Medivac rare to even use the term helicopter in operational order or in daily speaking unless your talking outside of aviation. Then again things change in the CAV when you start tasking Red…White…Pink and Heavy Pink…but when your flying with spurs on your different already.

Roger that…I spent a little over half a century in Army Aviation as a pilot, engineer. or both at the same time. It’s always been common practice in the profession to call a flying machine an airplane or aircraft. Jargon of the trade, as it were. Plus it’s only two syllables versus four. Less work to say it.

Ttthat. Rrooooger (insert record scratching sounds and heavy bass) that (wikiwikiwiki)

Rodger dodger, over under and out…

Tower: Tower’s radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That’s Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?

Lou: I don't know!
Bud: Third base...

Dropping aviation-themed yoootooobe videos on an forum for aviation-enthusiasts with a click-bait-y title and no description or summary of the video.

Oh, and the lack of rant threads recently... I miss those.

In Canada we carry licenses, not certificates. The airplane carries a certificate.

(1)
Evey variation of PA-28 is just blanket referred to as a 'Cherokee' by ATC

Fine, an Archer/Warrior aren't super different, but a PA-28-140 and PA-28R-201 are.

(2)
Someone stopping in the run-up area in such a manner that what was once able to hold three airplanes is now hogged by one

(3)
Every self serve pump everywhere. The UI to get the thing to work must have been designed by a sadist's first year as a developer. It's as if it was intentionally designed to be as poor and pathetic as possible

Back