Vaping in the cockpit.

Is there anything besides health, societal pressure and rug burns or smell in rentals that makes smoking in a plane a big No-No?

When the club forbid smoking in the planes, the gyro's quit needing regular rebuilds. We went from a gyro a year to several years between any rebuilds. Prior to the change, a moderately lazy gyro was tolerated, and resetting the DG every 10 minutes was fine. After, we sent the gyro's out as soon as symptoms occurred, as the log showed it had been many years since last service.

The difference was far greater than we had anticipated. Vaping will have the same effect of gumming the bearings, and killing the gyro.

Don't vape. Don't smoke either, but smoke if you must. Vaping will trash lungs much quicker.

My BFR this weekend in south Texas included some no-boldface Smoke In The Cockpit. SO effing worth it.

My ashtrays got removed and replaced with intercom jacks!

I took out all the ashtrays and installed GoPros.

:stirpot:

I mean this in the kindest possible way, but I'm kind of baffled. I didn't think that many people that vaped actually had jobs, let alone one decent enough to let them fly an airplane. I get why old people smoked...my parents smoked. But they picked it up when they were about 12, and most of the country was addicted back then. To me, vaping is someone that has a weekly car payment, drinks fireball, and wears glitter as part of their work outfit.

Last edited:
This talk about ashtrays reminds me of the 2018 crash of Bangla Airlines 221. It was a Dash-8 landing at Kathmandu Nepal, fatal for most aboard. Part of the accident chain was the captain dropping his cigarette while on approach. Instead of paying attention to flying the plane, he looked for his cigarette, and things went sour after that. Season 21, Episode 6 Oddly, the investigators did not seem to recommend that De Havilland install ashtrays in the cockpit to avoid this problem.

Everybody put up with it; smoking was the norm. You might not be old enough to remember requesting to sit in the non-smoking section of airliners or restaurants (if they even had one).

And US airlines were kinda ahead of the curve on no smoking on flights. I was on a flight on Olympic Airways in the 90's and the left side of the plane was smoking and right non-smoking. The flight attendant came up the aisle smoking. :eek:

And US airlines were kinda ahead of the curve on no smoking on flights. I was on a flight on Olympic Airways in the 90's and the left side of the plane was smoking and right non-smoking. The flight attendant came up the aisle smoking. :eek:
Was there applause upon landing?

I mean this in the kindest possible way, but I'm kind of baffled. I didn't think that many people that vaped actually had jobs, let alone one decent enough to let them fly an airplane. I get why old people smoked...my parents smoked. But they picked it up when they were about 12, and most of the country was addicted back then. To me, vaping is someone that has a weekly car payment, drinks fireball, and wears glitter as part of their work outfit.

While O don’t disagree with the group description, there are many plane owners who enjoy a cigar now an and then.

To me, vaping is someone that has a weekly car payment, drinks fireball, and wears glitter as part of their work outfit.

Would that include those that know how to control their alcohol and their weapons? :popcorn:

I'll put this in the kindest possible way, you are an bigot if you believe that. You should get out more.

True, Ive seen it most in the Hipster Doofi crowd. That's the plural of doofus, right? Many well paid IT geeks.

Guess not everyone can be upper-class enough to not smoke or vape.

I know many people from all fields and income levels that smoke or vape.

Don't vape. Don't smoke either, but smoke if you must. Vaping will trash lungs much quicker.

I thought vaping was supposed to be less harmful than smoking?

I mean this in the kindest possible way, but I'm kind of baffled. I didn't think that many people that vaped actually had jobs, let alone one decent enough to let them fly an airplane.

Granted that it's more common among younger people and so is unemployment, but so are a lot of other things us old geezers don't cotton to. But I have a friend, he's 45, has a good job, a technical degree and an MBA, he took up vaping in a [successful] attempt to quit smoking. It allowed him to taper off the nicotine, down to zero, while still going through the habitual motions.

Although, and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this, I suspect a significant percentage of vapers aren't vaping tobacco products...

While O don’t disagree with the group description, there are many plane owners who enjoy a cigar now an and then.
I know several pilots that enjoy a good cigar. But I don't know any that enjoy a good cigar in the airplane. It is usually after a flight, on the porch with a good stiff drink in hand.

Please explain.
Apparently depends on what is in the vapor... Vitamin E acetate seems to have been the bad actor and cases have declined significantly since last fall.
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html

I'm no expert. Maybe that is the cause of it. I have had a few friends that have trashed their lungs from vaping. As far as I know, it probably depends on what is in the vapor mixture. Tobacco is slow and insidious. Vaping is well, it could be really bad or not a big deal. That is my unprofessional observation.

I can deal with smoking or vaping. The one thing that I can't handle is the Red Man stains in the cockpit that somebody else flew yesterday. The "Mac Daddy" is the dip cups that the previous crew left behind. I can even (to a degree) tolerate the fried chicken bones left under the seat. But the spit cups!
I accept that its a thing down here south of the Smith & Wesson line, but I had a sheltered life back in Maine.

I can deal with smoking or vaping. The one thing that I can't handle is the Red Man stains in the cockpit that somebody else flew yesterday. The "Mac Daddy" is the dip cups that the previous crew left behind. I can even (to a degree) tolerate the fried chicken bones left under the seat. But the spit cups!
I accept that its a thing down here south of the Smith & Wesson line, but I had a sheltered life back in Maine.
I was raised in South Georgia, and that disgusts me too.
But I like the "Smith and Wesson line" comment! :)

I'll put this in the kindest possible way, you are an bigot if you believe that. You should get out more.

I'm sorry. I'm sure there are some dancers that are good with money and don't drink cheap whiskey.

Guess not everyone can be upper-class enough to not smoke or vape.

I know many people from all fields and income levels that smoke or vape.

It's not meant as a class statement, it's more of an intelligence statement. I really don't get it from someone able to hold down a decent job and fly an airplane.

With some of the puffs I've seen folks exhale, you couldn't maintain cloud clearance inside the cabin.
Definitely eyes outside on that one..

Yeah, depending on the the temperature and humidity, you might go from VFR to IFR when you exhale.

I'm not old but some of you must be kids... I remember the bean bag ashtrays well and nearly everyone smoked when I was a kid. I did but don't now and I won't judge someone that does.....

Cleaning out my parents house of 60 years and I found my elementary school art project.... an ash tray. When I was stationed in Germany the McDonalds had a smoking section. I would order the American meal (a real menu item) and sit smoking a Marlboro while they brought me a McRib sandwich and a Miller Lite in a bottle. Yes, a beer at MCD.

Good times!

My neighbor vaped a lot..it looked like his house was on fire when he exhaled.

I would not vape and fly. Even when I was a smoker, I did not smoke and fly.

I would consider a 5280 club initiation during a flight :)

If there’s an accident, the FAA will find your vaping device and it will be noted in a public investigation record. Then everyone will know you vape.

is it really worth the risk?

Last edited:
Back