Flying over the Huntington Beach oil spill: VIDEO

mr_happyland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mr_happyland
I haven't been posting many videos here lately but I thought this might be one that may interest some of you. As you probably know, there was an oil spill off the coast of Huntington Beach on Saturday. Last reported at around 3,000 barrels. They ended up cancelling the last day of the Pacific airshow b/c of this spill. I flew over part of the spill at 1,000 AGL.

Dropped anchor from a container ship damaged the pipeline

Dropped anchor from a container ship damaged the pipeline
True and confirmed?
Sounds logical the way the Coast Guard described a bowed out section of pipe. With GPS tracking of all those ships I bet they could pinpoint which one to blame.

True and confirmed?
Sounds logical the way the Coast Guard described a bowed out section of pipe. With GPS tracking of all those ships I bet they could pinpoint which one to blame.
They know which ship did it, just hope it's not one that has some of my containers on it.

Law of the sea means anybody that has cargo on a ship shares the liability of the ship. My insurance agent sent me a message saying they were looking into it as we speak.

True and confirmed?

Yep. Confirmed. My brother works for the company that cleans these spills up. He also said that what he saw in the OP video (I shared with him) didn't look like any oil spill he's seen or worked on in his 22+ years of experience. He said the video just looked like dirt/silt/sand in the water. Oil spills float on the water and are contained with oil boom/floating bouy containment system.

Yep. Confirmed. My brother works for the company that cleans these spills up. He also said that what he saw in the OP video (I shared with him) didn't look like any oil spill he's seen or worked on in his 22+ years of experience. He said the video just looked like dirt/silt/sand in the water. Oil spills float on the water and are contained with oil boom/floating bouy containment system.

Interesting observation from your brother regarding the dirt/silt. I sincerely hope he's right about that. For what it's worth, I have read that oil deposits don't always float and can indeed collect to sediment near shorelines. The section I flew over was the area being reported as having been affected. (this was on Sunday afternoon). From 1000 AGL, I saw some oil washed up on the sand and assumed that was from those dark accumulations offshore. As far as oil booms/containment systems, I only saw two from my position, but they were a little further south from where I flew over.

Last edited:
I think we all know it wasn't an anchor. The broken pipeline and resulting mess was all because of FRACKING.
Don't you people know anything!!!!!!!!!!! And, excuse me, the carbon footprint left by all these airplanes you rich people fly is not helping either!!!:incazzato::mad2::cheers:

Nah, fracking is just what poisons freshwater aquifers, that pressure fluid stuff is way worse than crude, but it does let you drink the neighbors milkshake.

Just saw the local news, Coast Guard is saying "suspected." So im positively convinced:)

I think we all know it wasn't an anchor. The broken pipeline and resulting mess was all because of FRACKING.
Don't you people know anything!!!!!!!!!!! And, excuse me, the carbon footprint left by all these airplanes you rich people fly is not helping either!!!:incazzato::mad2::cheers:

Here is the thing….they literally laid the pipeline along the edge of a designated anchorage.

And guess what? The survey showed that the pipeline is now 150 feet away from where it was laid.

This disaster was self induced.

Here is the thing….they literally laid the pipeline along the edge of a designated anchorage.

And guess what? The survey showed that the pipeline is now 150 feet away from where it was laid.

This disaster was self induced.

its important to remember that this “designated anchorage” isn’t normally a place where ships have anchored in the past. Up until the global supply chain crisis, there was typically no more than one or two ships waiting for a spot to open up at the port. These days there are about 70. It’s unprecedented times for the port and the “parking lot” of ships waiting to get in. This spill is looking more and more to be an unfortunate byproduct of that.

Back