Dassault Falcon crash

Whoa! And no fire?

Says they ‘clipped trees while landing? How was the weather? What approach?

METARs reported a thunderstorm in the area about 30 minutes before the crash, but at 5:50 am local (5-6 minutes after the reported time of the accident) conditions were calm with 7 sm viz under scattered layers at 1200' and 3600' AGL and 9000' overcast with haze.

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KHQU.html

Not sure of the specific approach, but FlightAware indicates they were landing Runway 10.

Looking at the local elevations, you'd need to come in very flat to do that, or else come in steeply at the wrong place.

I'm sorry but I'm in my early 40's and I'd be on the struggle bus with flying at that time of day. I think the youngest member of the crew was in their late 60's.

Even before the accident, components of the ILS to 10 was notam’d down. Not saying it was a factor, runway looks great.

I'm sorry but I'm in my early 40's and I'd be on the struggle bus with flying at that time of day. I think the youngest member of the crew was in their late 60's.
Certainly you could adjust your schedule to go to bed earlier; that time isn't particularly early.

FlightAware shows some interesting course corrections on final. I wonder what that was about?

Groundpounder, I fully agree with your comment on their working conditions.

The airport weather may have cleared, but to the west may have still had thunderstorms, and they deviated through it.

As someone who has had many, many, long days followed by all nights, I sympathize with their possible condition. Old guys? I did a 17 hour 'day' in a power plant, dealing with high voltage at close, exposed distances. I drove an hour and a half to get back home, arriving at 5 AM. On my 70th birthday. I fully understand that the level of competency and alertness can degrade rapidly under those conditions.

Young guys get caught in the same trap, a co worker died at 6 AM, on his way home. He had been working since 7
:30 the previous day.

If those guys had not slept well during the previous day, they were in a fatigue hole that is hard to dig out of.

Their day started at 9pm the previous night. They are on demand charter. There is no way to prepare for that, trust me.

But but but they had their 10 hours of rest! They didn't *have* to be contactable that day!

(Boy do I have that t-shirt)

Back