Need CogSceeen AE defer letter

G

The one doctor in town that has access to give the cog screen AE test is unwilling to schedule an appointment with me until I send them my specific FAA letter. I am wanting to see if I can pass the relevant ADHD tests.

Would someone be willing to share the relevant letter for adhd deferral? I am not wishing to be deferred as I am flying under sport pilot privileges. So I need some sort of official looking letter with the right wording to get them to schedule an appointment with me.

I'm confused... does your doctor want to see a "sample/typical/example" such letter? Or does he/she want to see one specifically addressed to you?
Your phrasing "my specific FAA letter" suggests the latter. In which case, I don't understand this question... It sounds like you're wanting to compose a fraudulent letter?

Would someone be willing to share the relevant letter for adhd deferral? I am not wishing to be deferred as I am flying under sport pilot privileges. So I need some sort of official looking letter with the right wording to get them to schedule an appointment with me.

Sounds like the deferral is already a done deal. I believe Kath is correct in guessing that you're looking to perpetrate a fraud. You stated the doc wants to see "my (your) specific FAA letter."

Sounds like you're in a tough situation. You're about to make it worse. My $00.02 & worth the cost.

The one doctor in town that has access to give the cog screen AE test is unwilling to schedule an appointment with me until I send them my specific FAA letter. I am wanting to see if I can pass the relevant ADHD tests.

Assuming you haven’t because you’re asking this question, but highly suggest you reach out to Bruce Chien online and be 100% honest with him, before you do something you can’t reverse (i.e. submit a medical without knowing you’ll pass it and lose your sport pilot privileges)

Last edited:
You realize ADHD is a disorder marked by high impulsivity (amongst a number of issues), and you're demonstrating that right now. If you've been diagnosed with ADHD, your course of action is to prove that you do not have ADHD and that the original diagnosis was in error. You need a HIMS AME to guide you through the process of doing this.

If you try to do this yourself, your most likely best outcome will be wasting a lot of money and the worst outcome being you've provided more evidence of a psychological issue.

You're on a public forum asking strangers to share their medical documentation with a stranger so that you can dupe a provider into giving you a test they've already refused, which you may not require, which may be worthless if you take it, and which may hinder your ability to participate in a future neuropsychological examination.

You're attempting to take a neuropsychological test without a demand to do so which will generate a medical record, and the visit will be reportable on any future medical application. This could turn up other issues which would not have been identified if the test isn't truly required. If you end up with a diagnosis from the visit now you have to report that on future medicals. Additionally, many psychological tests specifically prohibit repeat attempts at the test within a time frame. Prior knowledge of the test and "practice runs" mess up the scoring and make the results worthless.

Due to your ADHD history the test will probably also require some form of drug screen to prove that you're not currently utilizing medication to gain normal functioning. Without the drug screen the result will be worthless.

The Cogscreen AE is a screening test that is designed to detect deficiencies in a number of cognitive abilities. It's not the clinical test used to diagnose ADHD, although good performance on the test can be used as a point of evidence of "normal" cognitive function.

To directly answer you question, if you complete a medical and the FAA requests the "core battery", your AME will have to refer you to a neuropsychologist with HIMS training and your records need to be sent directly to the evaluator for their review. They don't want you doctor shopping and they don't want you messing with the records in transit.

Once that's setup you're going to be in for a fun filled day of:

CogScreen - Aeromedical Edition
Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scales
Trail Making Test Part A and B (Reitan Trails)
Category Test or Wisconsin Card Sorting Test
Stroop Color-Word Test
Paced Auditory Serial Addition Test
Continuous performance test such as: TOVA, CPT-II, IVA+
Verbal memory: WMS-IV subsets, Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test, or California Verbal Learning Test-II
Visual memory: WMS-IV substests, Brief Visuosptaial Memory Test-Revised, or Rey Complex Figure Test
Test of language including Boston Naming Test and Verbal Fluency (COWAT and a semantic fluency test)
Psychomotor testing including Finger Tapping and Grooved PEgboard or Purdue Pegboard
Personality testing including the complete MMPI-2
Anything else the evaluator determines necessary to write the evaluation

After the testing is complete the neuropsychologist scores all the testing and writes up a report that provide an overall picture of your neuropsychological functioning and sends it direct back to the FAA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back