Extremely minor aviation pet peeves...

Pilots who always begin their radio transmission with “aaannnd…”

Knew a few guys that referred to helicopters as “airplanes.” I never could understand why they did this other than confusing the term airplane with aircraft. Drove me nuts…but a very minor way.

"Chalks"

"Aircrafts"

And the "yoke" is completely wrong. "control wheel" is the right term. Unless there's some other OEM using "yoke" for that thing you grab to work the elevator and ailerons. Technically, a yoke joins two things together; in this case, two control wheels. It's that framework behind the panel that rocks back and forth when you push or pull the control wheels.

View attachment 100723

View attachment 100724

View attachment 100725
The “yoke” we are referring to is the one joining the two sticks in your “control wheel” together at the control shaft. Prior to yokes, there were single control sticks.

BC2049E5-6968-4D97-9643-72E184152CB2.jpeg

People who bake gigantic wedding cakes-- upside down ones no less-- then complain about others wandering in for a taste.

people who don't know the difference between the chute and the red handle

MV5BZGEwNTA5ZTAtY2E0Ni00MjVhLWEwMWUtY2IxYTQ0NTk5OWFlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE4MjgwMDU@._V1_.jpg

If you know the names of these characters and the name of the show we will see who the old folks really are...
It's Lucy's Show, Gale Gordon was just playing in it. :)

Knew a few guys that referred to helicopters as “airplanes.” I never could understand why they did this other than confusing the term airplane with aircraft. Drove me nuts…but a very minor way.

When I went through Helicopter Control Officer school at Chambers Field back in the day, I noticed that a lot of the Aircrew referred to the helicopters as ‘airplanes’. Thought that sounded weird.

My minor pet peeve is hearing Europeans say on ‘finals’ when referring to being on final approach.

Epaulets with loose threads hanging out I mean not a real big deal, but come on.
Student Pilots (who already owned the white epaulete shirt) who buy themselves a pair of four stripe epaulets... and put them on before leaving the airport after taking the test.

a C175-3? (Using propeller nomenclature.)
..says the user with an avatar that has the copilot's side wing strut but is missing the pilot's side (that might make my list of minor pet peeves)

maybe a military thing???
A while back I was binge watching the Coast Guard Rescue series on youtube.... Coast Guard Alaska, Coast Guard Florida, etc.... I'd say a mojority of the time those guys were calling them airplanes. Seemed weird to me too.

one of my pet peeves is wide traffic patterns.

For some reason it bugs when pilots only refer to themselves as "Cessna" on radio calls. There's all sorts of Cessnas - I'd like to know what kind. Maybe it's because when I owned a Skyhawk and later a Skylane, I used those monikers to identify myself.
I'm the opposite. It annoys me when someone in the pattern with a piston engine says Skyhawk, Skylane, Duchess, Baron, Debonair, Centurion, etc.

Most of the time all you need is the make and if it's a twin, add that. I got no time to learn every single model of airplane from every single manufacture. "Mooney 1234 midfield left downwind" gives me all I need. You got an Ovation? Good for you. But as far as I'm concerned, you're just a friggin' Mooney.

But then Cessna had to go out and buy Lancair/Columbia/Corvalis/350/400 and screw up what I'm looking for when some says "Cessna". So I guess it's okay for those guys to call it whatever they call it today. And the Cessna 337 screwed up the "Twin Cessna" callout so those guys can say "Skymaster".

Seems unlikely that when I'm on downwind and Archer calls short final that I would be able to tell that it's an Archer and not a Warrior so why bother?

So for everyone else, Cessna, Twin Cessna, Piper, Twin Piper, Bonanza, Twin Bonanza, etc. If we really want to get useful maybe we could go to just color, wing position and number of engines (if two).

But I'm not king of the world... yet. :D

Last edited:
When both a Vision Jet and an SR22 identify themselves to airport traffic as “Cirrus.”

(Actually, that one might exceed “extremely minor”....)

For some reason it bugs when pilots only refer to themselves as "Cessna" on radio calls. There's all sorts of Cessnas - I'd like to know what kind. Maybe it's because when I owned a Skyhawk and later a Skylane, I used those monikers to identify myself.
Blue and white Cessna…

ugh

When people say they have their "privates" when referring to their pilot certificate. The status of their genitalia is of no concern of mine.

Also, the multitude of posts complaining about how pilots operate in an uncontrolled airport traffic pattern. I've been flying 49 years & it's always been that way. I'm not condoning unsafe practices but it's a "see & avoid" environment.

maybe a military thing???
A while back I was binge watching the Coast Guard Rescue series on youtube.... Coast Guard Alaska, Coast Guard Florida, etc.... I'd say a mojority of the time those guys were calling them airplanes. Seemed weird to me too.

one of my pet peeves is wide traffic patterns.

Yep, gotta be a military thing. I remember my commander commenting one day about how he signed for “eight airplanes” on his property book. No, you signed for eight aircraft, helicopters, rotorcraft, or as @Warlock would prefer, helos, choppers, copters or my favorite, choppas. ;) I remember watching that CG series as well and hearing them say that.

Airplane sellers who think their little cream puff with 60 year old radios, a ragged out engine, flaking paint, and bare metal corrosion is a spectacular example of their type.

My pet peeve is people that describe something minor as extreme.

Pilots that use ‘repeat’ over the radio prior to conducting an initial call for fire mission.

Sorry :(
I really do try not to do it....
I'm the opposite. It annoys me when someone in the pattern with a piston engine says Skyhawk, Skylane, Duchess, Baron, Debonair, Centurion, etc.

Most of the time all you need is the make and if it's a twin, add that. I got no time to learn every single model of airplane from every single manufacture. "Mooney 1234 midfield left downwind" gives me all I need. You got an Ovation? Good for you. But as far as I'm concerned, you're just a friggin' Mooney.

But then Cessna had to go out and buy Lancair/Columbia/Corvalis/350/400 and screw up what I'm looking for when some says "Cessna". So I guess it's okay for those guys to call it whatever they call it today. And the Cessna 337 screwed up the "Twin Cessna" callout so those guys can say "Skymaster".

Seems unlikely that when I'm on downwind and Archer calls short final that I would be able to tell that it's an Archer and not a Warrior so why bother?

So for everyone else, Cessna, Twin Cessna, Piper, Twin Piper, Bonanza, Twin Bonanza, etc. If we really want to get useful maybe we could go to just color, wing position and number of engines (if two).

But I'm not king of the world... yet. :D
I hear you, but a 210 is a lot faster than a 172, and a Lance is a lot faster than warrior. They are common as dirt and I think most pilots have some idea where they stack up perhaps wise.

What irks me a bit is when people with really obscure airplanes use their specific name. I was on a 2 mile final on a practice approach and heard "Interstate 29y turning final" for the same runway (of course that was his first and only call). I couldn't see him so I made a 360 and not long after he reported clear of the runway. I pulled up to the fuel pump to find what looks like a cub. Apparently there was like 300 of these things built and maybe 50 still flying.

Talked to him a bit, pulled his chocks for him after he hand propped it. Nice enough guy, nice plane. In the end I guess I either see him or I don't, it doesn't really matter what he calls it so much as I know where he is. What else would he call it? I'd likely do the same thing if it was mine.

What irks me a bit is when people with really obscure airplanes use their specific name. I was on a 2 mile final on a practice approach and heard "Interstate 29y turning final..." In the end I guess I either see him or I don't, it doesn't really matter what he calls it so much as I know What else would he call it?

"Airplane 29Y turning final..."

:) Unless he's a helicopter :)

I don’t have many. I guess if someone blocks the fuel pump for no good reason, that kinda bugs me. It’s all the more so at a low fuel price airport, another will be there soon.

I thought of another one.

When (U.S.) pilots refer to anything lower than 18,000 as a "Flight Level". I just saw it again, someone said they were "cruising at FL30" when they did clearly mean 3,000, and it wasn't being used ironically.

Using the term airplane or aircraft for helicopters is very much US Army vernacular…with four subgroups…Gun/Attack…Scouts…Lift or Medivac rare to even use the term helicopter in operational order or in daily speaking unless your talking outside of aviation. Then again things change in the CAV when you start tasking Red…White…Pink and Heavy Pink…but when your flying with spurs on your different already.

Last edited:

That and people who announce on the UNICOM "Last Call." I always want to respond "You promise?"

Or those ones that put "With You" on their initial ATC callup. I would respond "and with your spirit" if I was ATC.

Referring to paved aircraft ramps as “tarmac”; “tarmac” is a material, not a place.

For some reason it bugs when pilots only refer to themselves as "Cessna" on radio calls. There's all sorts of Cessnas - I'd like to know what kind.
There's three kinds, no more: Cessna, Twin Cessna, and Citation. You're welcome.

typical of us pilots, mines the opposite :) … I fly a Cessna with no moniker the ol’ 140, I chuckle when someone says “skylane NWTF123” as unless we’re about to middair there’s no way of seeing the difference… I figure if we line up my 140, a 120, a 150, 152, 172,175, 177, 170, 180, 182, 185, etc I think they all look like siblings… Cessna didn’t get overly creative with different lines and proportions… even the 337 looks like a Cessna…. Ya gotta get to Cessna twins or a caravan before ya really get a really different look..

Funny how for no truly in depth reason our peeves are opposite on the same issue.

On the ATIS at our local airport - "Please do not park aircraft in red box on north end of ramp". THE red box. THE ramp.

That's funny, because that's one of my minor pet peeves, but the opposite. I mean, I get that it looks neat and tidy. But if the seatbelt is buckled and pulled tight when I get in, I have to first unbuckle it to even sit down. Then I know I'm going to have to lengthen it, buckle it, then probably shorten it again to fit right.

Whereas if it's unbuckled when I get in, I save at least one step (unbuckling it), and likely two (lengthening it) if the previous person is similar or larger than me.

So, one man's neat and tidy cabin is another man's inefficient cabin!

Maybe your partner is hoping you'll get the hint to leave it unbuckled! :D

Fair enough. You made me think. I guess my real extremely minor peeve is the unpredictability. Sometimes it is laying on the seat. Sometimes it has fallen on the floor to the front. Sometimes it has fallen on the floor to the back. You have to stick your hand all down in the crevice between the seat and fuselage to fish it out. And then there's the shoulder belt, whose attach point is back behind the back seat. Last time out I had to climb all the way in the back seat to fish it back out. So that's what I think my approach offers ... doesn't make the next guy have to go look for the belt.

Plus, I've been in the partnership longer...

Back