USPS Fail

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
Well, I heard from the lab I sent a filter element and oil sample to that they received the small Priority Mail box but all it had in it was the paperwork, no samples. The box apparently had been opened en route since it was wrapped with clear tape that I did not use prior to mailing. Oh, the "two day priority mail" actually took six too. Lesson learned.

Well, I heard from the lab I sent a filter element and oil sample to that they received the small Priority Mail box but all it had in it was the paperwork, no samples. The box apparently had been opened en route since it was wrapped with clear tape that I did not use prior to mailing. Oh, the "two day priority mail" actually took six too. Lesson learned.

So I have been lucky because I have only used the black plastic containers and they have all made it there in a few days. I had about 17 of them sent in the last 3 years. I fly almost 300 hours a year and do all my own oil changes every 50-60 hours.

Yes, "two day" priority mail isn't really "two day". Postmaster at the local office explained to me once that it's just a marketing term. There's no guarantee it'll get there in two days.

Pretty bad choice of a marketing term in my opinion.

Yes, "two day" priority mail isn't really "two day". Postmaster at the local office explained to me once that it's just a marketing term. There's no guarantee it'll get there in two days.

Pretty bad choice of a marketing term in my opinion.

So, my engine... Certified to run on 73 octane ran on 80/87 with 0.14 g/l of TEL until it became "environmental" and went to 100LL...

The LL standing for Low Lead because it "ONLY" has a fraction* of 80/87's (0.14) TEL. It has 0.56...

That fraction is... lets see 0.56 / 0.14... That would be 4/1... Uh... That's 4/1... Not 1/4...

"Modern Truth" like "New Math."

My guess: the box was x-rayed, found to be suspicious, opened, and found to contain hazardous material. Both flammable liquids (oil) and flammable solids (oil filter) are prohibited by air. The interpretation of the actual USPS regs are likely left to the interpretation of the inspector.
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_010.htm

I have never had my Blackstone round sample containers intercepted, but then I've always sent them first class (stamps) and not priority.

"So, my engine... Certified to run on 73 octane ran on 80/87 with 0.14 g/l of TEL until it became "environmental" and went to 100LL...

The LL standing for Low Lead because it "ONLY" has a fraction* of 80/87's (0.14) TEL. It has 0.56...

That fraction is... lets see 0.56 / 0.14... That would be 4/1... Uh... That's 4/1... Not 1/4...

"Modern Truth" like "New Math.""

100 LL is not intended to be lower lead than 80/87, but rather the 100 octane that it replaced, which had much more TEL in it.

The 100 LL is not intended to replace the lower octane product, but as the use of 80/87 decreases, fewer airports sell it, and the low octane engines, by default, burn 100 LL.

For those with homebuilt, or engines approved for MO gas, there is a no lead alternative, but with a possible downside. MO gas has dissolved volatile hydrocarbons to increase its evaporation in a cold engine, producing an elevated possibility of vapor lock. High wing planes are generally not subject to this problem, Cessna 177 Cardinal is an example of an exception, part of the reason they have an electric boost pump. The presence of ethanol and other ingredients results in relatively rapid deterioration of MO gas, which becomes a safety factor if the plane is parked too long.

MO gas went bad in my lawn mower over the winter, so I drain it in the fall, rather than deal with cleaning the carburetor in the spring. My emergency generator has only had AV gas since I bought it, and this year, I have been depleting it by using it in the lawn mower. The 4 year old gas in the generator is still just fine, but when it is empty, I will refill with fresh, stable AV gas again.

Aviation gas is a superior fuel in many respects, and to me, well worth the additional cost in flying, and uses where long term storage is a normal condition.

but as the use of 80/87 decreases, fewer airports sell it, and the low octane engines, by default, burn 100 LL.

Interesting use of tenses. Can you actually still buy 80/87 anywhere? I thought that 80/87 was completely phased out and unavailable many years ago. I've been flying for almost 30 years, and can't remember seeing it available anywhere, at least in the U.S., in that time. Granted, I haven't particularly been looking, either.

MO gas went bad in my lawn mower over the winter, so I drain it in the fall, rather than deal with cleaning the carburetor in the spring...
What about adding fuel stabilizer to the mower gas instead of burning avgas?

I have never had my Blackstone round sample containers intercepted, but then I've always sent them first class (stamps) and not priority.
I've seen folks report it as a problem and Blackstone even had a letter on their website that you could take w/ you to the Post Office if they gave you guff about the bottle containing liquid. I had a Postal employee baulk at me when trying to mail a sample once. Blackstone remedied the whole situation by now providing mailing envelopes you put the Blackstone black bottle in when mailing....o_O

I've seen folks report it as a problem and Blackstone even had a letter on their website that you could take w/ you to the Post Office if they gave you guff about the bottle containing liquid. I had a Postal employee baulk at me when trying to mail a sample once. Blackstone remedied the whole situation by now providing mailing envelopes you put the Blackstone black bottle in when mailing....o_O
Blackstone sends me 6 at time black plastic containers with pre paid postage on them. I have always put the black plastic containers in the drive by mailbox near my work. All of them made it there in the last 3.5 years. Takes about 10-12 days until I get the email with the report. I print it out and it gets filed in my engine log book.

About 800 hours worth so far.

I've been using Blackstone and their pre-paid containers for the oil analysis. The mail takes 7-10 days to deliver then it's up to the lab time for a report. I have been taking a backup sample in case the mail looses the first shipment. This last oil change had elevated aluminum in the analysis and there were metal bits in the filter. I sent the second sample bottle and the filter element to Aviation Laboratories via Priority Mail with the above results. I got the following response to my inquiry with them about a refund since they took more than 2 days to deliver:
"After researching you package, it has since been delivered. Unfortunately priority mail does not provide a money back guarantee. We apologize for the delay of the package.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at the number below."

I did call the number and the supervisor confirmed that the package was opened but could not say where since it was never scanned into the system after it left my post office and arrived at the final destination. Next up trying to make a claim for the included $50 valuation. I'm not holding my breath for a successful outcome.

Last edited:
I now buy the prepaid kits, six at a time. That way, the black container is postage-paid, which helps me avoid the suspicious looks I used to get at the counter when buying postage for this odd-ball item.

None of my samples have been lost yet, after 9 years, knock on wood.

Love the Blackstone reports.

I just bought a prepaid 6 pack from Blackstone as their prices are going up. They now come with bags to ship the black containers back in.
I have been lucky and never had a sample lost in 14 or so years. Now I've jinxed myself...

I've been using Blackstone and their pre-paid containers for the oil analysis. The mail takes 7-10 days to deliver then it's up to the lab time for a report. I have been taking a backup sample in case the mail looses the first shipment. This last oil change had elevated aluminum in the analysis and there were metal bits in the filter. I sent the second sample bottle and the filter element to Aviation Laboratories via Priority Mail with the above results. I got the following response to my inquiry with them about a refund since they took more than 2 days to deliver:
"After researching you package, it has since been delivered. Unfortunately priority mail does not provide a money back guarantee. We apologize for the delay of the package.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at the number below."

I did call the number and the supervisor confirmed that the package was opened but could not say where since it was never scanned into the system after it left my post office and arrived at the final destination. Next up trying to make a claim for the included $50 valuation. I'm not holding my breath for a successful outcome.

Ah sorry to hear that, Yes I would be very concerned also and wanting an opinion from Blackstone pretty quickly if I were in your shoes.

Taking a back up sample is smart, I have never thought about that.

Do they have "express" service if you next day aired it to them?

If you are finding metal in the filter I think you should stop flying it if you haven't already. Such a bummer, so sorry.

Yes it seems everything is going up in price?

If I remember right it used to be $28 bucks, then 30 and now $38? Makes it hard to send that sample off when you have a fresh 300 hour engine that has 5 clean reports so far.

Asizer: I am burning AV gas in the mower to use up really old gas from the generator tank. When spring comes, that gas will be 5 years old, and I will finish draining into the two small cans i use for chainsaw and mowing, and refill the completely empty Generator tank with fresh AV gas. No mix of old with new.

When I am not using up AV gas from the generator, I do use Stabil, and have a quart of it for the normal MO gas that I use for 4 years in between.

I have found that Stabil is a less than perfect product for long term storage, after 3 years, my chainsaw can was un useable when the neighbors tree came down, had to dump it and buy fresh, plus flush out the fuel system. Starting fluid would get it started, but it would not keep running. A slow mess when you need to be making noise and saw dust.

I would not use Stabil in aircraft fuel.

Back