Goodyear AZ (KGYR) Airport

Pilot101

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot101
For those who are in the know at Goodyear AZ Airport, is there a way to drop in to the airport and just pick up a passenger without incurring a facility fee? Is there a remote 100LL fueling pad?

Local intel is greatly appreciated...THANKS!!!

What's a "remote fueling pad"? Self-serve?

I'm in a city-owned T-hangar at GYR. There is only one FBO on the field, Lux-Air. They're good people, and though they cater to a lot of executive and corporate aircraft, they treat us bugsmashers just fine.

As far as I know there is no ramp fee. There is no remote or self-service fuel; all fuel on the airport is from Lux-Air's trucks. Also, there is no maintenance facility for light piston aircraft on the field.

If they're not busy and you're just coming in for a few minutes for fuel, you can often park right in front of Lux-Air's door. If they're busy or they expect a large aircraft in soon, they may point you to park a few hundred feet away on the transient line in front of the airport admin building, and someone will come out to you.

If you don't need fuel, just park on the transient line in front of the admin building.

GYR is the closest airport to the raceway, so if you arrive on NASCAR weekend (first weekend in November this year), all bets are off. The ramps will be crammed with Billy-Bob jets, you'll have to park two zipcodes away, and Lux-Air's staff will be swamped, so service will be delayed.

Last edited:
THANKS all for the local intel!!!

Yes I am quite friendly with Airnav but it does not provide any information (that I have found) about a self serve fuel verses if the FBO has a truck (more expensive) nor does it offer any information about ramp fees.

>If you don't need fuel, just park on the transient line in front of the admin building.

This is where I was going with the original post...is there city transient parking or do I have to go to the FBO (I will not need fuel).

Often times where the FBO charges a facility fee...and there is not city transient parking...I would taxi to a remote ramp or near the row of T hangars where there is a pedestrian gate where I can have my friend meet me there at the gate and I would open up the gate from the airside instead of parking at the FBO and paying 50 bucks just to have one person walk through the FBO lobby.

I wanted to ask here from the collective knowledge before calling the FBO.

This is where I was going with the original post...is there city transient parking or do I have to go to the FBO (I will not need fuel).
Lux-Air is the big white-roofed building at bottom. The airport admin building is the angular, reddish roof just north of the vehicle access gate, and the airplanes in the photo are parked in the city transient parking area.

If you want to avoid the FBO altogether, park in the transient line and meet your pax at the airport admin building.

8E96477D-AA12-4C66-8715-7E86A339775C.jpeg

Trivia: The city involved here is Phoenix, even though the airport is entirely in the City of Goodyear. The Navy sold the old NAS Litchfield Park (once the Navy's "boneyard") to the City of Phoenix in 1968. Goodyear Tire & Rubber was a major landowner in the area since the early 20th Century, growing Egyptian cotton, ideal for tire cords. Paul Litchfield was Goodyear's CEO and lived a few miles up the road.

Pilawt,

This is SUPER helpful information...exactly what I was looking for. THANKS so much for your kind help!!!

Yes I am quite friendly with Airnav but it does not provide any information (that I have found) about a self serve fuel verses if the FBO has a truck (more expensive) nor does it offer any information about ramp fees.

Info for self serve fuel on airnav is there. If it doesn't say SS but rather FS, there's no self serve fuel. Some have both, but Airnav tells you.

>Info for self serve fuel on airnav is there. If it doesn't say SS but rather FS, there's no self serve fuel. Some have both, but Airnav tells you.

THANKS appreciate the info!!!

Back