FPK1

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
FPK1
Headed to Medford, OR for the first time ever, from Sacramento. Planning:

KSAC KRBL 1O6 O46 KSIY S03 KMFR

Will be afternoon flight, VFR at 8500 feet, and in a 182J

Anyone with any experience in the area have any recommendations?

I've flown that route dozens of times, in everything from a Cherokee 140 to a DC-3, and that's exactly the way I plan it. Given the choice I prefer it in the morning when there's generally fewer bumps. Flight following is a very good idea, especially around the Redding area due to its intensive flight training and frequent firefighing activity.

Enjoy the trip.

Last edited:
Headed to Medford, OR for the first time ever, from Sacramento. Planning:

KSAC KRBL 1O6 O46 KSIY S03 KMFR

Will be afternoon flight, VFR at 8500 feet, and in a 182J

Anyone with any experience in the area have any recommendations?
I did it just about exactly like that about 6-8 years ago. Climbed to 10500 out of Red Bluff. It was mid/late afternoon. I had been thinking about just spending the night at RBL but was able to get some ‘local knowledge’ when gassing up and decided to do it and spent the night in Medford. Most of my google searches had come up with a don’t do it if the winds are greater than 25 knots or so. They were up in the low 20’s and I got jostled around a little but nothing I’d call Moderate. Hope the smoke isn’t to bad for you. There was a thread here awhile back about how it can sneak up on you and the visibility is not what you thought it would be.

Stay above the mountains surrounding Medford. It’s Rouge VALLEY for a reason. I was there a few weeks ago. VERY smoky. Like IFR , couldn’t see the airport till 1.5 miles out, smoky. Nice folks at Millionaire FBO.

Stay above the mountains surrounding Medford. It’s Rouge VALLEY for a reason. I was there a few weeks ago. VERY smoky. Like IFR , couldn’t see the airport till 1.5 miles out, smoky. Nice folks at Millionaire FBO.
@Scott Edson >>Glad to hear Millionaire is still a great FBO. They took care of me very well when I was there years ago.

I was also there years ago in November and Millionaire drove me in a crew car to my hotel in South Medford. Was stuck there 4 days waiting for a VFR weather window up I-5 to Seattle area. Weather was nice. Read a lot, smoked a couple cigars, and ate at Shari's.

I was also there years ago in November and Millionaire drove me in a crew car to my hotel in South Medford. Was stuck there 4 days waiting for a VFR weather window up I-5 to Seattle area. Weather was nice. Read a lot, smoked a couple cigars, and ate at Shari's.
Ah, Shari's. Was there a waitress there that you are still having impure thoughts about. This just rekindled mine:)

Back