Extremely minor aviation pet peeves...

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
A very minor pet peeve of mine is when people refer to the Beechcraft Barron. It's _Baron_, with one "R". Barron's is the magazine and the name. I saw it again today in a FB post.

But I don't hate them or anything for spelling it that way. I'm not going to get in an argument about it. I can't even be bothered to say anything. It just stands out to me every single time.

What are your extremely minor aviation pet peeves? Nothing that's going to cause you to get all bent out of shape or anything, just the really small stuff you notice that you wish people wouldn't do, or whatever, but you don't find it worth the effort to even correct them or advise differently.

So, if you can honestly say "I hate it when...", well that's too strong for this thread. Make your own thread about less minor pet peeves. This one is for Extremely Minor ones!

I thought of another one of mine:

When somebody calls it a "172 Cessna" instead of "Cessna 172". It just sounds wrong and backwards to me.

Hangar-hanger
Yoke-yolk
T182-182T-T182T
172RG-R172-172R

I learned to fly at a Navy flying club, and my instructor taught me to always leave the plane w/ the seatbelt buckled and pulled tight. I still do that today, unless I know I no else has the plane next, like when I take it on a trip. But when I get back home, that is the way I leave it. It rankles me that one of my partners leaves the seatbelts in disarray every single time. I'll never saying anything to him, but you'd think he would find it convenient to always find the seatbelts in an orderly manner, and pick up on it.

Poor radio work is my biggest one.

Oh, and over reliance on autopilots.

For some reason it bugs when pilots only refer to themselves as "Cessna" on radio calls. There's all sorts of Cessnas - I'd like to know what kind. Maybe it's because when I owned a Skyhawk and later a Skylane, I used those monikers to identify myself.

I learned to fly at a Navy flying club, and my instructor taught me to always leave the plane w/ the seatbelt buckled and pulled tight. I still do that today, unless I know I no else has the plane next, like when I take it on a trip. But when I get back home, that is the way I leave it. It rankles me that one of my partners leaves the seatbelts in disarray every single time. I'll never saying anything to him, but you'd think he would find it convenient to always find the seatbelts in an orderly manner, and pick up on it.

That's funny, because that's one of my minor pet peeves, but the opposite. I mean, I get that it looks neat and tidy. But if the seatbelt is buckled and pulled tight when I get in, I have to first unbuckle it to even sit down. Then I know I'm going to have to lengthen it, buckle it, then probably shorten it again to fit right.

Whereas if it's unbuckled when I get in, I save at least one step (unbuckling it), and likely two (lengthening it) if the previous person is similar or larger than me.

So, one man's neat and tidy cabin is another man's inefficient cabin!

Maybe your partner is hoping you'll get the hint to leave it unbuckled! :D

I fly planes with inertial reels. I suppose not being used to belts that don't retract, I might be a potential offender.

T182-182T-T182T
172RG-R172-172R

The one that always annoys me is when people call an R182 a 182RG. Of course, Cessna didn't help with the confusion since the 172RG was a 172RG. Same with the Cardinal.

The one that always annoys me is when people call an R182 a 182RG. Of course, Cessna didn't help with the confusion since the 172RG was a 172RG. Same with the Cardinal.
Looking for consistency in Cessna's model number protocol will drive you nuts.

A retractable 172 is a Model 172RG. A retractable Cardinal is a Model 177RG. So of course a retractable 182 is a ... nope, it's a Model R182. But a Model R172 is a fixed-gear 172 with a bigger engine. And don't confuse the Model R182 with the Model 182R (or an R172 with a 172R). Or the Model 182T, or a turbocharged Model T182. You could also have a fixed gear Model T182R, but the turbo'ed retractable is the Model TR182. Still with me?

A Model P172 was a 172 with more horsepower, but a Model P206 had the same engine as the other 206's but with nicer seats and no cargo door. And a Model P210 was a 210 with pressurization.

Put an 'A' in front of a Model 150 or 152 (A150/A152) and you've made it aerobatic. Put an 'A' in front of a 185 Skywagon (A185) or 188 Agwagon (A188) and you've made it with a bigger engine. Put an 'A' in front of a 182 (A182) and you've made it ... in Argentina!

There's also no such thing as a "172XP". It was the Model R172K "Hawk XP". There's no such thing as a "172SP". It's the Model 172S "Skyhawk SP".

So there.

For my other minor pet peeve, see avatar. :p

it's not combing thru the channel guide and seeing that a show called 'Bonanza' is on and for a split second getting all excited only to realize it's not what I think it is.............it's doing that every single time I see it.

"Chalks"

"Aircrafts"

And the "yoke" is completely wrong. "control wheel" is the right term. Unless there's some other OEM using "yoke" for that thing you grab to work the elevator and ailerons. Technically, a yoke joins two things together; in this case, two control wheels. It's that framework behind the panel that rocks back and forth when you push or pull the control wheels.

upload_2021-10-6_16-44-44.png

upload_2021-10-6_16-45-57.png

upload_2021-10-6_16-47-34.png

How come there are no shows called "Mooney"?

MV5BZGEwNTA5ZTAtY2E0Ni00MjVhLWEwMWUtY2IxYTQ0NTk5OWFlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE4MjgwMDU@._V1_.jpg

If you know the names of these characters and the name of the show we will see who the old folks really are...

The moment a Cirrus is mentioned, someone makes a lame joke about the chute.

That's funny, because that's one of my minor pet peeves, but the opposite. I mean, I get that it looks neat and tidy. But if the seatbelt is buckled and pulled tight when I get in, I have to first unbuckle it to even sit down. Then I know I'm going to have to lengthen it, buckle it, then probably shorten it again to fit right.

Whereas if it's unbuckled when I get in, I save at least one step (unbuckling it), and likely two (lengthening it) if the previous person is similar or larger than me.

So, one man's neat and tidy cabin is another man's inefficient cabin!

Maybe your partner is hoping you'll get the hint to leave it unbuckled! :D

Agreed, I never understood that practice. Imagine if people did this with their cars every time.

Back