Urban Meyer [NA]

I wasn’t even aware of who he was or that anything happened until seeing this post.

Can someone please explain to me why anywhere cares that urban Meyer Jacksonville jaguars had coach had a lap dance and possibility touched a woman who wasn't his wife? Who cares.

His wife and kids care. His owner cares.

Besides, he's largely regarded as an routinely unethical guy and a jackass.

Better, he's an NFL coach now, not a CFB coach who can control who attends his press conferences.

So the folks in the media he used to treat poorly are turning the screws because he can't shut them down like he could when he was the head coach at Florida or Utah or Ohio State.

That's all.

I personally could not care less about Urban Meyer or the Jacksonville Jaguars. That said, I can see that some may take a dim view of his actions or inactions that could defame the team he represents. A head coach in the NFL has responsibilities, particularly when it comes to behavior in public...

Times have sure changed. I remember a Barry Switzer quote from an interview about his college coaching days when he moved to Texas. It was nearly word for word "The University of Oklahoma football program wasn't bad, except for the felonies." What a d*&k. I think the NCAA suspended the team for about 20 minutes. They should've banned the program at the school. Let THEM play in Texas.

To the OP - no idea why anybody cares about anyone getting a lap dance, unless they're related to one of the people involved, or you walk into your living room and wonder why you weren't invited to the party...

"I kissed a girl and I liked it"

Channeling my inner Katy Perry

At the NFL level, he's just a coach. Even in college, for the most part, they're just coaches. Before college, they are mentors and help teach morals to their team. At least this is how it was with me. My high school coach would sit you on the bench if he didn't like something you did on or off the field. A teacher could come to him and he would address the problem... more like a second father. I still miss him. If he had been caught doing anything the school thought was not setting a good example for us, he would have been gone, no question.

If I were a Jaguar fan, I would be more upset that they've lost 19 games in a row, including the last four where this supposedly amazing coach has led the team. This is just going to be the excuse they use to fire him, they don't really care.

What I can't figure out is what he was doing in Columbus Ohio. He hasn't been the coach here for some time (seems to have taken the defense with him). And he retired for "health reasons" that have mysteriously vanished sufficiently for him to coach pro ball.

Lap dance? I'm surprised anyone would call what was on the video a lap dance.

What I can't figure out is what he was doing in Columbus Ohio. He hasn't been the coach here for some time (seems to have taken the defense with him). And he retired for "health reasons" that have mysteriously vanished sufficiently for him to coach pro ball.

The Jags had played the Bengals and he overnighted there. The video may have been taken in a restaurant he still owns in the area.

The first round of "health/family reasons" excuse was after his tenure at Florida. Then he took an ESPN analyst job and then the tOSU job, which he then left again for "health reasons". Dude must not be able to get his health in-check and was using holistic health via lap dances to cure his ills, lol.

Times have sure changed. I remember a Barry Switzer quote from an interview about his college coaching days when he moved to Texas. It was nearly word for word "The University of Oklahoma football program wasn't bad, except for the felonies." What a d*&k. I think the NCAA suspended the team for about 20 minutes. They should've banned the program at the school. Let THEM play in Texas.

To the OP - no idea why anybody cares about anyone getting a lap dance, unless they're related to one of the people involved, or you walk into your living room and wonder why you weren't invited to the party...

lol. Nothing like a death sentence for a college program to really set those coaches (who are no longer employed by the university) straight. Worked great for SMU. For the record, it was a 3-yr probation, 2-year bowl ban, and the biggest hit being a TV-ban. The television ban was a big deal in the 80's as it was a huge recruiting advantage. Not to mention the loss of 7 scholarships during that period (18 vs 25).

Last edited:
I knew there'd be an Oklahoma fan out there... :)
The point of course not being to punish the coaches, but to adjust the risk calculations for every other college. And it didn't work, or wasn't very effective, given Penn State.

Power corrupts, so there will always be problems. I used to like following college football, but it's more commercial than most professional sports these days.

I knew there'd be an Oklahoma fan out there... :)
The point of course not being to punish the coaches, but to adjust the risk calculations for every other college. And it didn't work, or wasn't very effective, given Penn State.

Power corrupts, so there will always be problems. I used to like following college football, but it's more commercial than most professional sports these days.
No argument there. Especially with the NIL being passed this year, they are essentially professional players now. The "amateur" part of the sport was what made it a bit more pure, at least the illusion of amateurism anyway. Now it's just about the player's individual brands and what deals they can sign.

There is a tenuous aviation connection... the Jags owner owns the FBO at my home drome, and hangars his Global 7500 there.
50422805863_8ca29848a0_b.jpg

Still has family in area he said he was visiting. And he owns the place where he got the lapdance.

So in addition to lewd conduct he is also guilty of sexual harassment.

Possible. Depends on if she worked there or not, I would think. Either way, I'm surprised he still has a job. I give it 2 more weeks tops and he's gone. They will play it smart and wait until they get to their bye week and kick him out the door. But I also won't be surprised if it happens sooner.

The sign of success in America: Rich enough to own your own strip club. Who knew?

...Before college, they are mentors and help teach morals to their team...
I completely agree. That was my experience. I keep quite on most matters but recently felt compelled reach out to my son's HS athletic director after the way his teammates addressed the referees and their poor sportsmanship after a loss. "In my day", I would have been benched for a fraction of that behavior.

No argument there. Especially with the NIL being passed this year, they are essentially professional players now. The "amateur" part of the sport was what made it a bit more pure, at least the illusion of amateurism anyway. Now it's just about the player's individual brands and what deals they can sign.
Naw. Fifty years ago my dad said that they should pay college players, as they weren't really students anyway, and were making a lot of bucks for the schools and coaches, whist risking their bodies. It took that long fir it to happen, with the NCAA checking out every free Uber ride or any other possible perquisite.

Naw. Fifty years ago my dad said that they should pay college players, as they weren't really students anyway, and were making a lot of bucks for the schools and coaches, whist risking their bodies. It took that long fir it to happen, with the NCAA checking out every free Uber ride or any other possible perquisite.

The ones on scholarship already get paid-in the form of free college and a stage to showcase their talents to the NFL. The money coming in to schools from the program should go to giving actual students help. I had the “privilege” of having class with one of our first-team skill position football players. He did absolutely nothing in class and then filed a racial bias complaint against a professor for having the audacity to fail him for (gasp) not doing any required coursework. It cost that professor his dream job at a different university. That entitled punk’s punishment? A prosperous NFL career.

I know this is one datapoint…but over the years I’ve conversed with several former players, coaches, etc and all basically have the same message. If you are a star athlete in D1 football, you can get away with just about anything if holding you accountable would be bad for booster and/or TV $$$.

Last edited:

They get 4 years of room and board, which is six-figures at just about any school. They also get access to trainers and equipment that the common Joe does not, which is worth something for those looking to go to the NFL. They get perks and free clothing/shoes/etc. with whatever company the school has a contract with (Nike/Jordan in OU's case). They get national exposure for the NFL, not to mention the job opportunities it opens up for non-football-related careers when you mention you were a D1 athlete. They were compensated plenty for "sacrificing their bodies". Now, there's just a huge disparity in who gets paid and who doesn't. Star QB's and RBs get branding deals, the starting Center or DB generally does not. So one guy is making hundreds of thousands per year, in the guy protecting him is making no more than he was before. Should work out great for the locker room/team unity, lol.

What the NIL did was essentially move college sports (mainly just football and basketball) to an outright Minor League system. Why even have college sports at all now if there's no amateurism component to it? Just have minor leagues like baseball does and skip the academic requirements.

They get 4 years of room and board, which is six-figures at just about any school. They also get access to trainers and equipment that the common Joe does not, which is worth something for those looking to go to the NFL. They get perks and free clothing/shoes/etc. with whatever company the school has a contract with (Nike/Jordan in OU's case). They get national exposure for the NFL, not to mention the job opportunities it opens up for non-football-related careers when you mention you were a D1 athlete. They were compensated plenty for "sacrificing their bodies". Now, there's just a huge disparity in who gets paid and who doesn't. Star QB's and RBs get branding deals, the starting Center or DB generally does not. So one guy is making hundreds of thousands per year, in the guy protecting him is making no more than he was before. Should work out great for the locker room/team unity, lol.

What the NIL did was essentially move college sports (mainly just football and basketball) to an outright Minor League system. Why even have college sports at all now if there's no amateurism component to it? Just have minor leagues like baseball does and skip the academic requirements.
I got everything you mention and two degrees... I don't remember hearing anyone complain that we weren't getting paid! I had a free ride and that meant the world to me.

At the NFL level, he's just a coach. Even in college, for the most part, they're just coaches. Before college, they are mentors and help teach morals to their team. At least this is how it was with me. My high school coach would sit you on the bench if he didn't like something you did on or off the field. A teacher could come to him and he would address the problem... more like a second father. I still miss him. If he had been caught doing anything the school thought was not setting a good example for us, he would have been gone, no question.

If I were a Jaguar fan, I would be more upset that they've lost 19 games in a row, including the last four where this supposedly amazing coach has led the team. This is just going to be the excuse they use to fire him, they don't really care.

Agree 100%.

My high school coach was and is a fine man. To this day (25+ years removed) I cannot bring myself to call him by his first name out of respect. It’s still “coach”.

Now, if you want to get me started about the pitfalls of a coach who can run marathons being in charge of conditioning during August two-a-days…

My high school coach was and is a fine man. To this day (25+ years removed) I cannot bring myself to call him by his first name out of respect. It’s still “coach”.
My coach was Coach Gibson. I heard his friends call him Hoot once so I tried it. Didn't end well for me!

Possible. Depends on if she worked there or not, I would think. Either way, I'm surprised he still has a job. I give it 2 more weeks tops and he's gone. They will play it smart and wait until they get to their bye week and kick him out the door. But I also won't be surprised if it happens sooner.
Hard to believe a young attractive woman would have such intimate contact without it being part of her job. Urban Meyer isn't a dream boat for your average 20 something.

His status and bank accounts are.
Perhaps. I'm aware I exist at rarified altitudes. I still can't fathom a young woman acting like that to a complete stranger unless she was paid to do it.

It is amazing how prudish America still is, despite so many groups saying we're about the same as Sodom and Gomorrah.

Perhaps. I'm aware I exist at rarified altitudes. I still can't fathom a young woman acting like that to a complete stranger unless she was paid to do it.

If many think you’re rich and/or famous, and/or that their video with you will go viral and lead to fame, they’ll do a lot more than you saw in that video…sad but true.

Back