Ordered new Tecnam P2010

KCGZ, KAVQ, KRYN, man those take me back ages.
If you need food i would not go to KCGZ, unless they build a restaurant in the last 10 years there isn't much food apart for some cinnamon rolls from time to time.
The only places i got food in the Phoenix/Tucson area are KRYN and KIWA. Didn't have spare time during the flight training to stop and have lunch.

I have about 60 hours on the P2010 and its nice plane.
Sometimes a bit fragile, could have done with better usefull load and better flaps. At our base 600m grass you can't take off at MTOW.
The io360 with vp and ap was nose heavy so we needed 20kg of ballast in the hold when just flying around for fun to keep the cg inside the forward limit. Think the io390 will need more ballast.

Good to know, thank you!

Marana had a good restaurant on the field.

If you have to reach back 6 years for the incident that scares you I think it really isn't that big a concern.

so you're saying people shouldn't freak out over extremely low percentage issues? isn't that interesting...........

Congratulations….
I have some time in a 2008 and a P92. I was seriously looking at the 2008 Tecnam had at Oshkosh, just not sure I could make the numbers work out.

Congratulations on the new plane. Looks like you're going to love it. Your routing looks good to me. I've done that route from Atlanta once and many times from Houston. Some key things I've learned - Use flight following. Bring a cooler with drinks and snacks. Sometimes it's hard to find an airport with food at the time and location in your flight that you need it. You can expect weather to be interesting. Have a Plan "B", "C" and "D" and be ready to add a day or two. If you're doing this in November or December, you should expect to have to plan around some storms and possibly icing conditions. Start your day early - at dawn if possible. The cooler weather is nicer for flying and the storms tend to grow as the day warms up.

I'm also based at KFUL. Just moved over to the hangars on the North side of the field. I'd love to get a close look when you bring her home. If you want to chat about the cross country plan in detail, my hangar door is open. Send me a PM.

Thank you all for your comments and advice, especially on the DAY 1 plan. Here is my DAY 2 plan, a longer flight day...

Day 2

Leg 1 0800 KBTR 5R8 KGTU 339nm 40g 2h52m

Fuel Food Bathroom https://www.gtujet.com/fbo

Leg 2 1300 KGTU KPEQ 304nm 35g 2h31m

Fuel Snack Bathroom https://www.crosbyflying.com/

Leg 3 1530(-1) KPEQ KELP 149nm 19g 1h14m DAY 2 total = 792nm

Hanger at MILLION AIR https://www.millionair.com/locations/elp/
GTU usually has good prices on gas. That jet center is down the taxiway and around the back if I recall. The tower and self serve, along with city tie downs, are right off the runway. Tower has always been super helpful when I have been there, though.

Hundreds of hours in the Tecnam, mostly the P92.
I hope you have years of fun in the plane.

Thanks again for all the comments! Here is day 3, the last day! Your thoughts?

Day 3

Leg 1 - Depart 0800 KELP to KTUS (2643msl) 234nm 26g 1h51m
Fuel Food Bathroom @ Million Air

Leg 2 - Depart 1200 KTUS GBN KBLH KBNG KFUL 376nm 40g 2h55m DAY = 610nm

Arrive KFUL at approximately 1400 local (-1 from AZ)

END DAY 3/TRIP Total = 1996nm

Thanks again for all the comments! Here is day 3, the last day! Your thoughts?

Day 3

Leg 1 - Depart 0800 KELP to KTUS (2643msl) 234nm 26g 1h51m
Fuel Food Bathroom @ Million Air

Leg 2 - Depart 1200 KTUS GBN KBLH KBNG KFUL 376nm 40g 2h55m DAY = 610nm

Arrive KFUL at approximately 1400 local (-1 from AZ)

END DAY 3/TRIP Total = 1996nm
Freeway route, more or less? Easy peasy.

Have a Plan "B" as an alternative to the Banning pass. Check information for KPSP and KRIR or KRAL. Look at the Altimeter setting. As the delta between the two grows, your odds of an "Exciting" ride in the pass increases.

I like this routing better than flying the Banning Pass. It's actually 1 mile shorter too!
BLH BALDI HAPPE KFUL

Banning funnels a lot of air through that pass and the turbulence can be... pretty rough. Looks like JEB's route would work, and there's a nice cafe at KHMT (and some older warbirds at the tie-downs) to take a break if the air is rough.

Looking forward to seeing your new bird at KFUL!

Last edited:
OP here - Thanks for all the tips and advice!

Engine was to arrive Italy on Oct 20 and I'm awaiting an update. I'm estimating (with fingers crossed) plane fully built in Italy by the end of this month and certified there. Then disassembled, crated and shipped to Florida.

In Florida, trucked to Sebring, uncrated, reassembled and U.S. certification the end of November. So hopefully I pick up the plane the first week of December (fingers still crossed).

Once I have the update, I will post it here.

Safe flying!

No still in Italy. They build it in Italy, obtain certification, then break it down and container it. They then cargo ship it to Florida, truck it to Sebring, and reassemble. They then obtain US certification and after that I'm able to pick it up...

No still in Italy. They build it in Italy, obtain certification, then break it down and container it. They then cargo ship it to Florida, truck it to Sebring, and reassemble. They then obtain US certification and after that I'm able to pick it up...
Any chance you will get your plane soon enough to make a New Years eve flight? Congrats, have fun

Exciting that’s it’s coming together. I suppose a ferry flight would be bit long LOL. But- it’s not headed to the LA ports, so it won’t sit on a cargo ship for 2 months off shore!

Any chance you will get your plane soon enough to make a New Years eve flight? Congrats, have fun
At the time of purchase in August delivery date was to be in November. I'm certainly hoping for sooner than later but realistically it will probably be late November or first week of December.

I hope to have an updated timeline from Tecnam any day now...

I still have no update from Tecnam, irritating, to say the least. The Chief Sales Officer (Italy) and Director of Sales (US) have both promised me an update, but neither has come through. Having never purchased an airplane before, perhaps this is normal, but I don't like it and not a good start to a long relationship.

On the good news side, Tecnam has a new dealer less than 20 miles from my home airport KFUL so that will be very beneficial.

Based on what I know today, or perhaps what I don't know is more accurate, I'm guessing I will take delivery in January 2022.

I will continue to post my experiences here.

Great looking bird !! I'm sure it will be worth the wait.... no matter how long and grueling the wait is....

The FAA has now certified the Tecnam P2010 TDI (diesel). I'm sticking with the IO390 215 HP engine as ordered.

It's my understanding that since the diesel engine is heavier, Tecnam is now working to increase the max take off weight by about 89 pounds (like Diamond did with the DA40 diesel.)

This will be a welcomed increase to my useful load!

It's my understanding that since the diesel engine is heavier, Tecnam is now working to increase the max take off weight by about 89 pounds (like Diamond did with the DA40 diesel.)

This will be a welcomed increase to my useful load!

Interesting, will this apply to your airframe as well? Are you able to switch engines with a TDI in the future?

Interesting, will this apply to your airframe as well? Are you able to switch engines with a TDI in the future?
I'm told that is the intent since it's the same airframe. Don't know if I can switch later or not... Best I can tell the diesel is about $16k more.

I was just informed by Tecnam that they upgraded my premium leather seats to the two tone premium leather (from all black) to better match my interior.

And plane is now done and ready to ship from Italy!!!
13c3e5584d6b9ab85d7a831483a9e912.jpg

Getting close. Can't wait to see how you like it.

BTW Sebring is a pretty cool airfield. The racetrack is directly adjacent to the airfield. Downwind on 01 and 32 takes you right over the track, and from the FBO you can walk across the street and watch cars coming out of a 90 degree turn and hammering down a straightaway.

I've done the Panhandle E/W transit a dozen times. The beach VFR corridor south of the restricted area is cool, but the north corridor over Crestview is fine too, and perhaps a bit more relaxing in a new airplane. MOAs and Alert areas are no big deal.

<snip>

I've done the Panhandle E/W transit a dozen times. The beach VFR corridor south of the restricted area is cool, but the north corridor over Crestview is fine too, and perhaps a bit more relaxing in a new airplane. MOAs and Alert areas are no big deal.

Thank you. Very helpful..

Well, looks like it's getting closer. A couple months late but I'm excited none the less!

"Dear Scott,

First, thank you for your order for the 2022 Tecnam MODEL P2010. Everyone at Tecnam appreciates the trust that you have placed in us to build, deliver and support your new aircraft and we are getting very close to your delivery.

Please accept this letter as confirmation of the upcoming delivery of your P2010. As you know, we have been delayed due to a few supply chain issues related to our industry. At Tecnam, we produce over 80% of the total aircraft in Italy which allows us to not only control the component build times throughout production but more importantly to maintain the quality that is one of the hallmarks of our brand thus allowing us to expedite this process.

Scott, your aircraft is in transit to Florida and the delivery is reforecast to take place in the first weeks of January. Once the aircraft reaches Florida I will contact you regarding the physical delivery date and process.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly at any time.

Again, thank you and have a safe and happy holiday!

David
David Copeland
Director of Sales
Tecnam Aircraft
316-558-1901"

Nice! I'm about 50 miles away at FD77 and share the same pattern freq as Sebring. I'll let you know if I hear TPA calls from "Scott's Tecnam.". :goofy:

well, true but I am wondering about other ports. I’m not well-informed on where his plane would arrive. I guess Miami or Jax or ? Being uninformed, is why I said “such as”.

I know, I just never miss a chance to make a joke, especially at someone else's expense. :fingerwag:

There are a ton of ports along that part of the coast. Savannah is a monster for RORO's.

One of my neighbors just got one. I've seen it but haven't been up in it. Looks sweet.

I believe it's coming into Miami, and then unloaded and trucked up to Sebring. I'm told I will be notified when it's placed on a truck. I'm guessing it will be available for pickup the week of January 17. Or should I say hoping...

BTW Sebring is a pretty cool airfield. The racetrack is directly adjacent to the airfield. Downwind on 01 and 32 takes you right over the track, and from the FBO you can walk across the street and watch cars coming out of a 90 degree turn and hammering down a straightaway.

Good breakfast at the restaurant, too. I’m there about once a week.

Back