Extensive radio check.

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
TLDR: how can I ask for an extensive radio check?

I have a new headset. It is ANR. It is not a name brand.

On intercom, I can hear myself in the headset as I speak, and passengers can hear me fine as well (with passive headsets).

When I transmit using PTT, I hear the first few words in my headset, and then it fades out. Uncertain whether my entire transmission is heard, I generally repeat most or at least some of it.

If I ask for a radio check, I get the "loud and clear" response, but I've only transmitted "Cessna 84U requesting radio check."

Is there a way to request an extensive radio check, like a read back?

I fly into uncontrolled fields, many without an FBO, and many FBOs don't seem to want to be bothered.

I hear others transmissions just fine. I have had an incoming flight ask my intentions when I have broadcast Downwind Base and Final for full stop...

So I'm not entirely certain all of my transmissions are being heard.

TLDR: how can I ask for an extensive radio check?

I have a new headset. It is ANR. It is not a name brand.

On intercom, I can hear myself in the headset as I speak, and passengers can hear me fine as well (with passive headsets).

When I transmit using PTT, I hear the first few words in my headset, and then it fades out. Uncertain whether my entire transmission is heard, I generally repeat most or at least some of it.

If I ask for a radio check, I get the "loud and clear" response, but I've only transmitted "Cessna 84U requesting radio check."

I fly into uncontrolled fields, many without an FBO, and many FBOs don't seem to want to be bothered.

I hear others transmissions just fine. I have had an incoming flight ask my intentions when I have broadcast Downwind Base and Final for full stop...

So I'm not entirely certain all of my transmissions are being heard.
I’ve had pilots ask for a count up to like 5 and back. That would be them checking their receiver/setting volume. Never had one ask for the reverse, but if you asked the Tower, better Ground, if you could give them a count to check your your transmitter they’d oblige. Or come up on 122.75 and see if anyone is around and ask them.

I’ve had pilots ask for a count up to like 5 and back. That would be them checking their receiver/setting volume. Never had one ask for the reverse, but if you asked the Tower, better Ground, if you could give them a count to check your your transmitter they’d oblige. Or come up on 122.75 and see if anyone is around and ask them.
Maybe more than a 5 count... Like I said, I can hear myself for my call sign and a little more before it fades out in my headset.

But thanks...

Set up a handheld next to a recorder (phone, tape, video cam) and go fly.

Ron Wanttaja

Go to an uncontrolled field and talk to the FBO. If the airport is not busy, they will accommodate you.

Borrow a handheld and test with yourself.

FYI: in the past when I had to troubleshoot a radio issue in flight I would call the tower on the phone and explain what I needed. Never had a time where we couldnt work something out regardless the time requirement.

File a long lengthy IFR flight plan on the radio...

No friends with aircraft or handhelds? "Hey, Joe Unicom, can you hear this entire transmission?"

Are you supposed to use 122.75? I see almost everyone using 123.45. Is it a bad idea to use 123.45?

I could use 121.5 and sing the meow mix jingle. Would that work?

J/K thanks for all the ideas... It seems I don't run into a plethora of fellow flyers at my home drome, so don't have much available fellows to call on...

Are you supposed to use 122.75? I see almost everyone using 123.45. Is it a bad idea to use 123.45?

Well, now that [insert he who's name must not be mentioned here] isn't here anymore, maybe its okay now? 123.45 is supposedly reserved for flight testing although I've never heard anything on it except other pilots yacking. 122.75 is the designated pilot air to air frequency so really, we don't have a designated frequency we can use for testing radios on the ground. Pick one and use it. I don't really have an opinion.

J/K thanks for all the ideas... It seems I don't run into a plethora of fellow flyers at my home drome, so don't have much available fellows to call on...

Check liveATC.net to see if your airport/approach control/whatever is covered, and go to the "archives". You may be able to figure this out sitting at your computer right now.

I learned from another thread here that you can accomplish this simply by flying in Canada.
:)

I also hear a lot of air to air on 123.45...I have never heard anyone complain here in the Southeast.

Check liveATC.net to see if your airport/approach control/whatever is covered, and go to the "archives". You may be able to figure this out sitting at your computer right now.
Unlikely, I'm based at TN98, don't interact with approach at TYS... And most comms are on unicom...

Unlikely, I'm based at TN98, don't interact with approach at TYS... And most comms are on unicom...

Liveatc.net does cover TYS approach, so if you make it a point to call them on your next flight, it might* be recorded. Make a nice, long transmission. But preferably not when it's busy...

* "might" because the system monitoring TYS appears to be an older, scanner-based system where 10 frequencies are being scanned through. So if someone is getting a lengthy clearance on ground, for example, when you call, the scanner will be listening to ground and not approach, so your transmission will not be recorded (whether or not it's readable or not).

I see that GKT's unicom is monitored on liveatc, so if you ever get over there, or even have gone there in the last 30 days, you could use that as your test. Heck, you're close enough that you could probably just takeoff from home, tune in 123.0, make a test count, and it should record it.

This test does not have to be done on a frequency that ATC is actively using. a random frequency isnt being used nearby (CTAF, UNICOM, Remote clearance, etc) and have a friend/spouse with a handheld listen to you ramble.

Back