Thankful for PoA

Um..no. I use my phone and texting to get updates on distant family. I had a Facebook account many years ago and it was more like a job trying to keep up with who said what and yes, there was a lot of things I didn't really need or care to know about some people who posted there. Since most people didn't seem to have filters and I do, I deleted my account and have never regretted it. I didn't post that I don't have an account to "feel better about myself" nor did I post that to make anyone else feel like they're less of a person if they do.

If you take any of my posts the wrong way, I meant it the other way.
I have way too many family members to keep up with all of them. I like to see when my niece does well in a cheerleading competition, but I don't need a text every time.

Again, you just don't know how to use it. This is not meant to offend you. I don't see anything offensive from those I choose to follow. If I do, I click "unfollow" or "unfriend" and they're gone. It's such a great resource for aviation, better than any other. You post an event here, you will reach very few people in your local area. I'm not trying to convince anyone, just my opinion.

Maybe you didn't post it to feel better about yourself, but I find it odd when someone posts something and people feel the need to say they don't use it.

Recently Facebook announced they would censor , remove , and no longer allow posts such as anti-vax people and certain political content.

Maybe somebody decided to censor Facebook

There is a god !!!!!!! hehe

Kind of sticky when the offensive person is also a family member. I choose my battles and not having a FB account deletes at least one field.
LOL, I understand that. That's why I use "unfollow" vs "unfriend". They never know I don't see their posts. I understand not being on Facebook too.

Facebook whistleblower steps forward ....

NEW YORK (AP) — A data scientist who was revealed Sunday as the Facebook whistleblower says that whenever there was a conflict between the public good and what benefited the company, the social media giant would choose its own interests.

She said Facebook prematurely turned off safeguards designed to thwart misinformation and rabble rousing after Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump last year, alleging that contributed to the deadly Jan. 6 invasion of the U.S. Capitol.

https://apnews.com/article/facebook-whistleblower-frances-haugen-4a3640440769d9a241c47670facac213

She said Facebook prematurely turned off safeguards designed to thwart misinformation and rabble rousing after Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump last year, alleging that contributed to the deadly Jan. 6 invasion of the U.S. Capitol.
I have a simple policy on my FB account. You say the words Biden, Trump, Clinton, etc, I'll unfollow you. Keeps my blood pressure down. I've always said, not one person ever saw a political or religious post on FB that made them change teams.

Maybe you didn't post it to feel better about yourself, but I find it odd when someone posts something and people feel the need to say they don't use it.

Perhaps we feel the same when people have to come here and defend all the reasons they have for using it. Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Perhaps we feel the same when people have to come here and defend all the reasons they have for using it. Just sayin' :rolleyes:
Not sure how you think it's the same. The thread is about Facebook being down, yet instead of ignoring it because it doesn't apply to you, you feel the need to tell everyone you're above using it. I'm talking about how it does impact people in good ways. You still continue to follow a thread about something you say you don't use... to each his own!

No need for me to defend anything, I use it, it's had a huge impact on the world, yet it could use some improvement.

No need for me to defend anything, I use it, it's had a huge impact on the world, yet it could use some improvement.

I simply agreed with someone else and you indicated I did it to make myself feel better. Now you're still defending it.

For me, Facebook is the quickest way to get updates on distant family. It's also a great way to talk about aviation with an extremely large audience (way bigger than POA)! You can seriously make it what you want. If you're seeing junk, well, it's probably the type of friends you have or the junk you've input that triggers it to send you more of the same.

It's always good to see the people on here who want to tell us they don't use it so they feel better about themselves though!
I wear boxer briefs and don’t use Facebook. It doesn’t make me feel anything sharing that information with you. It’s just what I choose and seems relevant to the conversation.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear boxer briefs and don’t use Facebook. It doesn’t make me feel anything sharing that information with you. It’s just what I choose and seems relevant to the conversation.
Understood. If we all agreed on everything, it would be a boring world! At least we agree on boxer briefs. Surely someone will disagree with us on that though!

Understood. If we all agreed on everything, it would be a boring world! At least we agree on boxer briefs. Surely someone will disagree with us on that though!
Perhaps. I expect it actually. Kinda figured it would be @eman1200 talking about no under wear. Next thing you know we are talking about bourbon cigars and we have forgotten what every one was on about to begin with.

I started a Face Book Page called "Sweet Grass Hills - Sunrise to Sunset" It has been a joyful scenic page of pictures of this unique area.
The rules are in the title. If the postings are not about the title , out it goes.
When my wife got sick I turned the page over to another fellow to monitor and run. Not quite as nice as it used to be but still a nice photos page of the "Hills" and the foreground items of cows , kids , harvest machinery, all against the backdrop of the "Hills".

Fb, Instagram, and WhatsApp being down all day mean that the world is 1/365 in better mental health.

If you want a truly sad barometer of society at large, check out how inundated numerous 911 centers get with calls by people reporting that Facebook is down…

They are outnumbered by the individuals calling about their McDonald's order being wrong.

Facebook whistleblower steps forward ....

Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump last year...

That's hilarious.

Nearly? The underwear I describe in that thread ARE boxer briefs. ;)

Yep, I got some because of your recommendation. Don't know that they changed my life but they are a good deal.

I have a simple policy on my FB account. You say the words Biden, Trump, Clinton, etc, I'll unfollow you. Keeps my blood pressure down. I've always said, not one person ever saw a political or religious post on FB that made them change teams.
That's a good policy. I hope you don't say names from the other side in your posts.

This is the only social media I use...and I am anti-social for the most part.

Quit FB years ago when I got hacked. I got an email from a friend who had been dead two years. Na Ga Do It..

Again, you just don't know how to use it.
I think that's just it. But in some ways, that's almost "despite FB's best efforts" .. if you leave it "alone" it tends to cater to our most primitive and damaging emotional traits; anger, jealousy, etc. If you actively manage who you follow, what you post, etc., in can be wonderful. For most that's just a bridge too far.. myself included. It didn't provide me objective value. My friends and family have their own active group chats either via text or, incidentally, WhatsApp. I was one of the first to join Facebook around 2004.. it was a good journey until 2017/2018 but I don't miss it

It's such a great resource for aviation
That's the part of it I miss.. luckily through group chats I keep up with that but it's a great way to organize groups of like minded individuals. And.. for anyone running a small business, it's truly valuable

sadly it is. My local 911 had to put out a PSA telling people that Facebook/Instagram outages are not an emergency.

The worse part is that in some places, if the Internet goes down, so do some of the 911 capabilities.

Most important for me is FB marketplace. Way more car parts, etc there then on Craigslist for the stuff I want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is appearing that this is more than just a simple website hack. It may be a deeper IP address issue that could have broader impact if the bad guys spread their attack more widely.
If someone is keeping Farcebook down, they are not the bad guys, they are the good guys.

I made the mistake of walking 18 holes of golf while going commando. BIG mistake. 0/10 do not recommend. there's more to the story but I'll save that for cigar night.

Two things:

TMI

Tommy Johns.

I make it a point to have a minimal profile on Facebook but never post there. Same for Linked In.

My Facebook feed is stuff about tortoises, stuff about Origami, stuff about sourdough, stuff about airplanes. I've scored a nice tortoise (used the airplane to get her), learned some nice Origami, and helped folks with their sourdough (my 40% spelt bread came out wonderfully). I advertise my books to thousands for free. I fail to see the harm.

If someone is keeping Farcebook down, they are not the bad guys, they are the good guys.

Until they take down credit card processors, hospitals, and electrical distribution systems.

Back