What's your go-to Concealed Carry weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would wager that a .22 would have stopped about the same amount of crime as a 9mm has. Most crooks want an easy score and the mere sight of, or more profoundly, the sound of *pop* makes them scurry.

Someone told a friend of mine that a his little .22 revolver wasn't gonna do much against a criminal except make him mad. He said, "well, I'll make him mad nine times!"

Similar to my Dad that carried a 5 shot snubby way before being completely sanctioned.... They would ask "What are you gonna do if six people come after you?" He'd say " Im gonna put four of them down then let the last two decide amongst themselves!"

In the books James Bond carried a .22. Its all about shot placement if it goes that far and with everything barrel length adds tremendously to the efficacy making even a .22 viable. Ive never seen a .25 with more than 2" but Ive heard some FBI stats that say a .380 is the most lethal single shot round. And with today's prices....

Similar to my Dad that carried a 5 shot snubby way before being completely sanctioned.... They would ask "What are you gonna do if six people come after you?" He'd say " Im gonna put four of them down then let the last two decide amongst themselves!"

In the books James Bond carried a .22. Its all about shot placement if it goes that far and with everything barrel length adds tremendously to the efficacy making even a .22 viable. Ive never seen a .25 with more than 2" but Ive heard some FBI stats that say a .380 is the most lethal single shot round. And with today's prices....
I don't recall him ever carrying a .22. The books started with him carrying a .25, which he was forced to give up in favor of the .32 because the .25 lacked stopping power. The .32 wasn't much of a step up. Larger calibers showed up from time to time in the books and movies.

Regarding the .22…

Would not be my first choice, but…

1) Watch the video of Reagan and Brady and two officers being shot with a .22. IIRC, one officer dropped like a rock, Reagan ended up very close to death and Brady suffered a grievous brain injury.

2) After the massacre at the Munich Olympics, Israeli agents were dispatched to kill those involved. Chronicled in the book “Sword of Gideon” and the movie “Munich”, my recollection is the agents in some cases used silencer-equipped .22’s to deadly effect. I further recall they carried empty chambers, loading a round only after the target was positively identified at very close range. The thinking was better to lose an agent than to accidentally kill the wrong person.

NOT defending it as a defensive round, just pointing out it’s hardly a toy round and can do a lot of damage.

Last edited:
As to the original question, it has varied. When I first got a permit, the small gun I had was a PPK/s, so I carried that for awhile. Now, it's either a S&W K-frame or a 1911, both in AIWB holsters. Sometimes, a Colt Detective Special in a deep AIWB holster. I have a S&W 442, which is good for pocket carry, but I can't tolerate it with anything more powerful than wadcutters.

I have several handguns, but the one I carry most often is my little KelTec P32. Were I shopping today, I’d get the P3AT, but it had not been introduced when I got the .32acp.

Ease of carry is the most appealing benefit.

Even with the extended magazine, that little peashooter is small enough and light enough to be pocket carried in almost any attire. Slipping it into a pocket has become as automatic as pocketing my wallet. It would be nice to have a bit more punch, but with Winchester Silvertips it’s not too bad.

I also first bought a P32 to carry from the advise from the local gun dealer about 20 years ago. My gun buddy laughed at me since it is so small and weak.
I tried to shoot a hole in a 55 gallon drum top and it ricocheted off and could have hit me!! lol I am guessing I am not using the best ammo?

Anyway I learned what my friend was talking about when he was laughing about it. So now I have a few P32 story's to tell. My wife carry's it in her purse sometimes.

I put this out to my friends all the time, and so, while our locations may prevent it, here's my offer: If you are in that boat, of being unfamiliar with firearms, I'd love to get with you (especially as fellow pilots) and let you handle some firearms, in a controlled, very safe environment, teach you about their operation, and let you experience what it's like to be behind a gun.

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. The only time I have fired a firearm was with my FBI agent friend who took me to a range and showed me how to fire his service weapon. Since I have already done some shooting with a federal LEO, in the interest of balance I think I need to go get some experience shooting with someone on the other side of the law.

I also first bought a P32 to carry from the advise from the local gun dealer about 20 years ago. My gun buddy laughed at me since it is so small and weak.
I tried to shoot a hole in a 55 gallon drum top and it ricocheted off and could have hit me!! lol I am guessing I am not using the best ammo?

Anyway I learned what my friend was talking about when he was laughing about it. So now I have a few P32 story's to tell. My wife carry's it in her purse sometimes.

With the right ammo, a .32acp can do better than you might expect.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/the-32-acp-can-it-be-counted-on-for-self-defense/

Regarding the .22…....

"Richie loved to use 22s because the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a 45, see, a 45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a 22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you die"

Since the subject is handguns, I have a question.

Did Winchester ever make a revolver pistol chambered for a .32.??

My intensive and exhaustive 5 second search turns up a lot of bolt action pistols chambered in rifle calibers made by Winchester, but no revolvers.

A revolver is indeed dirt simple, but a semi-auto pistol isn't much worse. If you never fire it, it doesn't really require much if any maintenance. If you do fire it, you just need to clean it (as you should any weapon).

Revolvers and pistols are different:
And most pistols will not cycle if the barrel is pressed up against a "solid" surface or if fired from a "contaminated" area like a jacket pocket. Revolvers on the other hand will give you every round they have in the same situations.

Ruger 101 in 38 special for the above reason also less recoil and just as effective as the .357 it will also take…

Since the subject is handguns, I have a question.

Did Winchester ever make a revolver pistol chambered for a .32.??

My intensive and exhaustive 5 second search turns up a lot of bolt action pistols chambered in rifle calibers made by Winchester, but no revolvers.
Family has a Winchester rifle in .32-20 WCF and a revolver of the same caliber but I don't remember who made their pistol.
Very different from a .32 ACP, if theres any confusion.

Last edited:
All revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers. ( Dont PO the pedantic police so excluding Gattlings or Taurus Circuit Judges or LeMats etc. rifles.)

There's this but not sure if it counts: https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifle...fg.-rough-rider-rancher-revolver-new?p=355749

727962703922_1.jpg

LOL Couldn't delete it fast enough in my attempt to be more cordial:)
But ya, thats one of the ETC. Rifles. Similar to the Circuit Judge since I cant remember what Colt called them if they even had a name beyond revolver rifle.

Blued S&W mod 38 with walnut grips in .38 S&W Spl, loaded with Buffalo Bore #20D 150 gr HCWC, in a Wm Brown Pancake holster. FWIW: I have found Hornady One Shot to be nonstaining.

Sometimes, a Colt Detective Special in a deep AIWB holster. I have a S&W 442, which is good for pocket carry, but I can't tolerate it with anything more powerful than wadcutters.
Before carrying a DS I'd check its current value, some are "up there." 442s are really nice and wadcutters coming out of a light weight 2" barrel are really a perfect SD "compromise." Light enough to always carry, reliable enough to always fire, and the shape of the wadcutter dissipates all of its force in what you hit.

The point of SD is to make a criminal stop threatening your life. Dissipating 200-250 ft lb of force is a serious way to make one stop. I like the low flash, regular velocity, quick burning powder snubby loads as they don't blind you, and allow for a quicker aimed second shot.

I'm glad I have lived in places where I have never felt the need to arm myself... from the Middle East to Europe to rural Nevada. I once bought a Coke from a guy carrying an AK-47 in Yemen, and just about everyone else had a similar weapon slug over their shoulder too. Its the one thing I found in common between America and Yemen - how well armed everyone was.

AK-47 - go big, or go home. :D

Last edited:
I like you guys!

Been carrying since I was old enough, sig 9mm with HSTs

Family has a Winchester rifle in .32-20 WCF and a revolver of the same caliber but I don't remember who made their pistol.
Very different from a .32 ACP, if theres any confusion.

Wow...a .32 Winchester rifle, I have only seen pictures of one.

What I have is a revolver, 6 shot in .32 caliber, double action. I can't make out the medallion on the grip. It sure looks like a Winchester medallion but I can't be sure. It is dirty so I don't want to take a chance ruining it by scrubbing it clean. I got the one in question along with a few other pistols through an inheritance.

I also have 2 double barrel 12 gauge shotguns, double trigger with rabbit ear hammers.

I once bought a Coke from a guy carrying an AK-47 in Yemen, and just about everyone else had a similar weapon slug over their shoulder too.

Years ago while travelling in Turkey there were a few folks that had what was commonly referred to as "grease guns." They were actually there for our protection (or so the story went). Never been to Yemen and plan to keep it that way. ;)

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. The only time I have fired a firearm was with my FBI agent friend who took me to a range and showed me how to fire his service weapon. Since I have already done some shooting with a federal LEO, in the interest of balance I think I need to go get some experience shooting with someone on the other side of the law.
Lol, I hear the storm trooper convention is always willing to teach. ;) I think there might be some sarcasm hidden in there, but working with criminals every day, I'd recommend not taking their advice unless you, A) don't plan to actually hit anything that you aim at (bystanders, the neighbor's dog, and your mama's house will probably get hit though) and B) plan to come visit me at work. :D

I'm glad I have lived in places where I have never felt the need to arm myself... from the Middle East to Europe to rural Nevada. I once bought a Coke from a guy carrying an AK-47 in Yemen, and just about everyone else had a similar weapon slug over their shoulder too. Its the one thing I found in common between America and Yemen - how well armed everyone was.

AK-47 - go big, or go home. :D

Not surprising. Most coke dealers are well armed.

"Richie loved to use 22s because the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a 45, see, a 45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a 22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you die"

Everybody thinks they have a sense of humor, but then they don't all!

One of these guys?

e8cf33j4cco71.jpg

I'm anxiously awaiting the Nov 3 hearing of the New York gun case in the supreme court. I live in California. We can use all the help we can get. Mostly the legal choice around here is a pocket knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back