Cessna Baggage Door Lock

Narwhal

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
?
I recently discovered part #8 in the diagram below (0413323-7) missing from the baggage door on a '59 C182B. I'm not sure how this happened, I can only speculate that it departed in-flight or during a takeoff or landing. This is the part that the key goes into to move the baggage door lock cam between the locked and unlocked positions.

Seems pretty straightforward, call salvage yard and get a new one (doesn't seem to be many of these on the retail parts sites). However, there is the key issue. Is there any way to match the key with the doors and ignition, or am I probably going to have to use a different key for that with the new part? Additionally, what is the likelihood that the salvage yard part would actually come with a key?

Just trying to go into this with an education before I take to a mechanic. Thanks in advance.

Edited to add, I found this: https://www.knots2u.net/cessna-182-206-210-lock-set-cabin-door-and-or-baggage-door/ and am wondering if it would work as long as I was willing to use a different key for the baggage door? The order form does have me select the aircraft serial number, is there a chance it will come with the same key that works the doors and ignition?

baggagedoor.JPG

Last edited:
I recently discovered part #8 in the diagram below (0413323-7) missing from the baggage door on a '59 C182B. I'm not sure how this happened, I can only speculate that it departed in-flight or during a takeoff or landing. This is the part that the key goes into to move the baggage door lock cam between the locked and unlocked positions.

Seems pretty straightforward, call salvage yard and get a new one (doesn't seem to be many of these on the retail parts sites). However, there is the key issue. Is there any way to match the key with the doors and ignition, or am I probably going to have to use a different key for that with the new part? Additionally, what is the likelihood that the salvage yard part would actually come with a key?

Just trying to go into this with an education before I take to a mechanic. Thanks in advance.

Edited to add, I found this: https://www.knots2u.net/cessna-182-206-210-lock-set-cabin-door-and-or-baggage-door/ and am wondering if it would work as long as I was willing to use a different key for the baggage door? The order form does have me select the aircraft serial number, is there a chance it will come with the same key that works the doors and ignition?

View attachment 100642

I am pretty sure a locksmith can make the new lock the same as the rest of your locks. He probably has the lock you need also.
I have had several locks keyed to match other locks over the years.

IMG_0070.JPG

Just trying to go into this with an education before I take to a mechanic
The lock itself is a standard type lock used on many aircraft and other things but dont recall the name. But you can find them every where if you look. If you want t o use the same key then usually buying new by S/N or go to locksmith are 2 of your options. Your mechanic may know of a 3rd like rekey all locks to a master screwdriver. As to buying used is a krap shoot as most always seem to be in bad shape in my experience.

FYI: a common reason you loose the tumbler like that is the screw/weld holding the clasp bar on falls out/breaks which is the only thing holding the tumbler in. If the bar is screwed on apply a little sealant/threadlocker to the screw.

Rather than make another project why not just leave a key in the

ash tray?

The lock itself is a standard type lock used on many aircraft and other things but dont recall the name. But you can find them every where if you look. If you want t o use the same key then usually buying new by S/N or go to locksmith are 2 of your options. Your mechanic may know of a 3rd like rekey all locks to a master screwdriver. As to buying used is a krap shoot as most always seem to be in bad shape in my experience.

FYI: a common reason you loose the tumbler like that is the screw/weld holding the clasp bar on falls out/breaks which is the only thing holding the tumbler in. If the bar is screwed on apply a little sealant/threadlocker to the screw.

My lock is using mud dauber mud to hold it together! No locktite needed! lol

Any locksmith can rekey that cheap-ass wafer lock to any key you like.

Get a key cylinder from Sutton Salvage and take the cylinder and your key to Northstar Locksmith on Norther Lights at C St for keying. Easy fix. You’ll probably find the locking cam in the bottom of your baggage door. Use red locktite when you put it back together.

I had a few spare keys made and experimented with filing/rounding the teeth until the key worked in the ignition, door, and baggage compartment. I still have the keys for each in storage, but now only need to carry one (and a spare in my flight bag).

Get a key cylinder from Sutton Salvage and take the cylinder and your key to Northstar Locksmith on Norther Lights at C St for keying. Easy fix. You’ll probably find the locking cam in the bottom of your baggage door. Use red locktite when you put it back together.
Blue Loctite. Red will make it impossible to get apart without destroying something. Blue will hold it plenty securely. Everything associated with that thing is really cheap and light, including the door itself.

Any locksmith should be able to do this. IIRC, it is basically a postal box lock. I'm not sure if the dimension are an exact match, but I've seen similar locks on Grainer for about $13.

I had to replace ignition switch so I lost drilled a hole in the handle of the door key to identify and use two keys. So what?

Back