What is your (affordable) dream plane(s)?

I’ve flown one of those. They are terrible airplanes to be honest. The only way to fuel it is from the roof. Stupid loud inside and not that great of a performer when loaded up. A twin otter is much better all around.
Casa 212 would be better if the ramp was mandatory. But the twotter is a nice flying airplane.

I don't think there is one that exists for me. I would love something that I could rear load my motorcycle into, head off to wherever, get the bike out and ride. But it's 500lbs 44 inches tall and 91 inches long. So, non-existent.

I pretty much have what I want for the time being. If I made double what I do now - pressurized turbine would be on the list, but not sure I'd even make the jump. So here's the pic:

308.jpg
Here ya go Ed, but not "rear load"...on Barnstormers right now:

upload_2021-6-28_7-7-43.png upload_2021-6-28_7-8-28.png upload_2021-6-28_7-9-30.png

Ha! I don't think I could even ride that motorcycle, unless that's a TW200, and in that case I don't want to ride it very far.
I'm betting it would take a long time to attach/detach that pod...then you have to assemble/disassemble the motorcycle too. Its cool, but a novelty.

Affordable is relative.

Right now? An early model Mooney, probably in the 60k range.

If some land investments come in well...Velocity XL. I put the build price around 250-300k, give or take. The airplane is frickin' amazing in terms of performance and inside space.

velwrgcf.jpg

Last edited:
A Cassutt. The dream is that I would have built (or at least assembled most of it) myself.

224616_800.jpg

If I could have a second airplane to keep my straight tail 182 company in the hangar, it'd be a Commander 114.

(yes, I know that the universe wills that I should want a Bonanza or a Mooney, but I still want a Commander)

Agreed - A 114B/115 (with FIKI) is on the short list here in a couple years (at the outside)

For just plain (or plane) cool you have to consider an Electra. No trips across the Pacific though!

03dolFQ.jpg

Agreed - A 114B/115 (with FIKI) is on the short list here in a couple years (at the outside)

For just plain (or plane) cool you have to consider an Electra. No trips across the Pacific though!

03dolFQ.jpg
That looks like Schloss Hohenzollern in that pic.

I don't think there is one that exists for me. I would love something that I could rear load my motorcycle into, head off to wherever, get the bike out and ride. But it's 500lbs 44 inches tall and 91 inches long. So, non-existent.

I pretty much have what I want for the time being. If I made double what I do now - pressurized turbine would be on the list, but not sure I'd even make the jump. So here's the pic:

308.jpg
Okay, so hear me out:

A reverse Spectrum SA-550 where you take a Cessna 337 Skymaster, and remove the rear engine and replace the front engine with a turbine. The rear engine gets replaced with a ramp that lowers down. W&B might be might rely on you carrying your motorcycle or some other ballast.

Okay, so hear me out:

A reverse Spectrum SA-550 where you take a Cessna 337 Skymaster, and remove the rear engine and replace the front engine with a turbine. The rear engine gets replaced with a ramp that lowers down. W&B might be might rely on you carrying your motorcycle or some other ballast.

I had considered that as a very very expensive possibility, and putting a TIO540 on the front.

I had considered that as a very very expensive possibility, and putting a TIO540 on the front.

That would be a very cool plane. I'm not sure if the ramp at the back would interfere with the landing gear or not. You might need a 336 instead.

I think it would have enough power. Those folks that mated half a 337 to a Ford Pinto got it to fly at over gross weight with a single 210HP engine.

I mean, it did crash when one of the wing struts came loose from the Pinto, but before that it was flying.

I’ve flown one of those. They are terrible airplanes to be honest. The only way to fuel it is from the roof. Stupid loud inside and not that great of a performer when loaded up. A twin otter is much better all around.

Who cares if the cattle in the back are uncomfortable?
Dang! Why does my wife ALWAYS walk past when I say stuff like that?

The whole point of having a SkyVan is to convert it into a flying RV with space for a motorcycle.
Taking glamping to a whole nother level.

Glasair III. Reality is I could afford the capex if I didn't have dependent overhead. Not a gripe, just a financial fact (there's more to life than pining for toys). Perhaps a good semi-retirement gift when I have to hang up the G-suit and Draken doesn't call lol. It'd smoke my buddy's epsilon on a fraction of the budget that's for sure. :D For now, a cheap-to-keep FT 1 or S-II will do until then.

3b5cd1465b22b5cdacd936c3464b8880.jpg
Check for issues with the gear. I would consider one as well, but hear from others more familiar the gear can be an issue.

Check for issues with the gear. I would consider one as well, but hear from others more familiar the gear can be an issue.

Thanks for the heads-up. In all likelihood (aka not dreaming), I'm probably settling into a nice II FT (short wing for the acro) just to keep saving on insurance, plus if I keep the thing into my 60s like I'm planning to, I don't have to deal with the insurance age kicking me out my hobby. This is going to be an acro centric and formation centric mission, with a secondary of VFR/light-IFR solo travel to retired pilot friends for fly-ins et al within the CONUS. 160ish Ktas from the FTs will be plenty for what I want out of it. Dreaming bout the -IIIs is free! :D

I like the Beechcraft Duke, and the Piper Aerostar for twins. Beech 36 series, Piper Lance, Comanche 400 for singles.

SR-22 with a chute. All the new tech in a proven airframe.

Not ready to jump to the SETP airframes yet.

RV-14. I have an -8A and it’s a blast, but just too tight inside. The rear ‘pit is too small for my regular passenger for much more than a burger flight. A -14 is big enough inside and still has the RV qualities.

Affordable is relative.

Right now? An early model Mooney, probably in the 60k range.

If some land investments come in well...Velocity XL. I put the build price around 250-300k, give or take. The airplane is frickin' amazing in terms of performance and inside space.

View attachment 97764
This would be my more realistic choice.

You know she and Frank planned that charade didn't you...

Back