Spirit Pax Get To Ride The Slides

More people get injured going down the slides, than a contained engine fire. Also you have a very hard time controlling the crowd on the ground as people wander all over the place, and are exposed to dangerous things they don't understand. They also get in the way of first responders. So taking a moment to assess the situation, get everything in order for an evacuation is time well spent. The cockpit crew usually can't actually see what's going on. They are only getting a light and fire bell. So they need to gather info from the Fight attendants, and ground support, such as tower or fire crews, maybe even other planes before making the decision to evacuate. And where to evacuate to? do you want passengers to evacuate where there is a running engine,( that running engine will suck people right into it) or to where there is a fire? There is a lot that goes into it, and it takes time. I didn't watch the link, but I will.

That is some serious fire, initially. Kudos to the filmer, likely nowhere to go for a bit anyway.

Seems it all worked out fine, under the circumstances. I’ll gladly give the crew a handful of seconds for evaluation of the event. Reading the title then seeing the flames makes it easier. For the crew it happened in real time, no early notice or video.

Now what kind of bird was that? Where’s my 12 ga??

I didn’t really need another reason to avoid Spirit airlines. But that evacuation video is probably enough on its own. The passenger screaming fire needed a size 13 boot in his mouth. And the FAs needed to remember that their job involves a little more than monitoring Covid mask compliance. The dog at the end was epic.

I didn’t really need another reason to avoid Spirit airlines. But that evacuation video is probably enough on its own. The passenger screaming fire needed a size 13 boot in his mouth. And the FAs needed to remember that their job involves a little more than monitoring Covid mask compliance. The dog at the end was epic.

Spirit Airlines…the trailer park that flies.

Interesting the slide on the engine fire side was deployed.

Cheers

https://onemileatatime.com/news/spirit-airlines-engine-fire/

Engine caught fire after taking a bird through it. I'm wondering how the video of the crew not immediately evacuating and telling pax to remain seated while the engine fire is growing will play out for them in the court of public opinion.

are you typed in the 320? didn't think so. the L2 and R2 slides are right in front of the engines. if the doors are popped before the engines are shut down, the slide and most likely a few passengers are going right into the running engine. the standard procedure in a 320 is to finish the evac checklist, which is not that long first. that ensures the engines are shut down before the slides are blown. you can hear the engine winding down then your here the captain call evacuate, evacuate, evacuate. sounds like the crew did a good job of doing it by the book.

More people get injured going down the slides, than a contained engine fire. Also you have a very hard time controlling the crowd on the ground as people wander all over the place, and are exposed to dangerous things they don't understand. They also get in the way of first responders. So taking a moment to assess the situation, get everything in order for an evacuation is time well spent. The cockpit crew usually can't actually see what's going on. They are only getting a light and fire bell. So they need to gather info from the Fight attendants, and ground support, such as tower or fire crews, maybe even other planes before making the decision to evacuate. And where to evacuate to? do you want passengers to evacuate where there is a running engine,( that running engine will suck people right into it) or to where there is a fire? There is a lot that goes into it, and it takes time. I didn't watch the link, but I will.
I'm aware of and agree with all that. The general public for the most part is not. Hence the reason for my comment. Spirit is already the airline people love to hate. I would imagine that clip won't help that perception.

I do not know this. Is there a left side/right side slide selection?
The flight attendants are trained to evaluate conditions outside of an exit prior to opening it. That is why many US airlines ask passengers to open their window shades for takeoff and landing. Some countries make that a requirement for their airlines.

The safety briefing card also instructs passengers to evaluate the outside conditions prior to opening an emergency exit.

The evacuation time certification, which sets the maximum number of passenger seats an airplane type may have, allows only half of the exits to be used in the test and the test subjects are not informed ahead of time which exits will be useable.

The flight attendants are trained to evaluate conditions outside of an exit prior to opening it. That is why many US airlines ask passengers to open their window shades for takeoff and landing. Some countries make that a requirement for their airlines.

The safety briefing card also instructs passengers to evaluate the outside conditions prior to opening an emergency exit.

The evacuation time certification, which sets the maximum number of passenger seats an airplane type may have, allows only half of the exits to be used in the test and the test subjects are not informed ahead of time which exits will be useable.

Thank you! I probably should know that but haven’t flown commercial for about 20 years.

Beats watching someone getting sucked into an engine.
True. But it takes about a second to move the fuel levers and kill the engine. So if you're telling the FA's to evac the cabin but not killing the engine, well then your airline deserves whatever lawsuits they get a result IMO.

True. But it takes about a second to move the fuel levers and kill the engine. So if you're telling the FA's to evac the cabin but not killing the engine, well then your airline deserves whatever lawsuits they get a result IMO.

It is my understanding that the crew did what had to be done and that is to allow the engines to spool down before calling for an evacuation.

You don't like Spirit and the people use them, beyond that I am not sure what your point is.

Issuing the evacuation order is near the end of the evacuation checklist. Completing the rejected takeoff checklist, then the evacuation checklist, is why the evacuation order is not immediate. The command to remain seated is first, then the checklists, then the order to evacuate, if needed.

Back