Odd decision leads to plane crash in Texas

And these are the ones we get to thank for making aviation more expensive? :mad2:

maybe someone double dog dared him?

I do think this is pretty funny:

"He said he doesn’t know how the plane crashed, but he believes weather was a factor."

OR, you can look at the video and see him tag a street light on take off.
This is like every car crash ever. “Speed was a factor.” Yes, it surely was. So were mass, direction, and tire pressure. Everything is a factor. Not every factor is a cause.

But the military did it in Michigan...

Some stupid can be fixed. Sometime the Darwin award goes to those that have fixed the problem themselves. :eek:
Funny, I was going to suggest the guy was a candidate for the Darwin award but had second thoughts. :D

If you know Winnie you could have easily run it a 1/4 mile out of town…but it’s the rice festival…and I am sure he flew it in there.

Why is vertical video a thing?? Am I the one that is stupid? Or is it everyone else?
What I want to know is why doesn't the phone correct it? We have phones with multiple cameras and as much processing power as the computers that used to run video editing software. It would be simple for the phone to have an option to "convert to landscape mode" when saving or uploading.

This must be part of a larger conspiracy.

How does some one conclude that there are too many Stearmans in the world?

What I want to know is why doesn't the phone correct it?
this is what makes me think I'm the in gross minority, or, that vertical video is the new "thing" now in order to cater to TikTok and various other social media that capitalize on a smartphone's portrait layout

Still, to your point.. the phone should always film in landscape, and give the user (or platform, IE, social media) the option of uploading that in the full picture or in ridiculous portrait format

I digress, but videos like this are basically unwatchable, it's even worse when they add the blurring to the left and right to spoof the viewer into thinking it's landscape, at least KHOU-11 didn't do that

upload_2021-10-3_16-14-50.png

What I want to know is why doesn't the phone correct it? We have phones with multiple cameras and as much processing power as the computers that used to run video editing software. It would be simple for the phone to have an option to "convert to landscape mode" when saving or uploading.

This must be part of a larger conspiracy.

Can't add pixels that aren't there. The sensor itself usually matches (roughly) what you're seeing in a portrait recording. So to convert it to landscape, you'd have to throw away the top/bottom, and reduce your overall quality/pixel count

Can't add pixels that aren't there. The sensor itself usually matches (roughly) what you're seeing in a portrait recording. So to convert it to landscape, you'd have to throw away the top/bottom, and reduce your overall quality/pixel count
I think you have it backwards. The idea would be to record the thing always in landscape.. and if the user is a moron and wants portrait just throw away the left 1/3 and right 1/3 of the landscape image.. thereby making it portrait; perfect for TikTok!!!

this:
upload_2021-10-3_17-10-58.png

or:
upload_2021-10-3_17-11-25.png

I think you have it backwards. The idea would be to record the thing always in landscape.. and if the user is a moron and wants portrait just throw away the left 1/3 and right 1/3 of the landscape image.. thereby making it portrait; perfect for TikTok!!!

this:
View attachment 100629

or:
View attachment 100630

That would make sense actually. Just rotate the sensor in the camera and you'd be good to go. Of course, those of us that rotate the phone correctly today would then end up with the problematic recordings. Maybe one day we'll go to square sensors so software can control everything.

That would make sense actually. Just rotate the sensor in the camera and you'd be good to go. Of course, those of us that rotate the phone correctly today would then end up with the problematic recordings. Maybe one day we'll go to square sensors so software can control everything.
The sensors are close to square. Much closer than the screens. This is almost certainly possible without any changes to the sensors. It'd be very counterintuitive though.

Accident started with nearly running off the road, pulling back and taking off behind the power curve a bit. The video is the final sequence.

Crazy. Guy had to feel the butterflies of a bad idea when he went full throttle.
He would’ve made it too if it weren’t for those damn pesky streetlights.

Why is vertical video a thing?? Am I the one that is stupid? Or is it everyone else?

It’s probably because everyone uses Snapchat and Snapchat won’t let you record in landscape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danmed Zapruder! Didnt he know there were 35mms and tele lenses available!

After being on a float in the parade, they wanted to fly back to the airport to beat incoming weather. The street was already closed for the parade, so they took off. Better short field technique and this would have been a non event. Still not entirely smart.

After being on a float in the parade, they wanted to fly back to the airport to beat incoming weather.

I'm guessing the incoming weather wouldn't have done the amount of damage to the plane that the pilot's decision did.

But we all do stupid stuff. Some go further than others and many get away with it. Some others don't. Not sure what went wrong here:

I think it's just easier and more natural to hold your phone that way.

Back