Arkanstol- three crashes and the event hasn't started

I’ve had the “is ArkanSTOL too dangerous” conversation several times in the last couple weeks. All I can say with any authority is that the first one was the damndest show I’ve ever seen, and several times over that weekend I felt lucky to have been there because, I thought, “there’s no way they’ll let this happen again.”

I’m for it, but an argument that it’s over the line is entirely defensible.

OMG the trees. For the love of God, think of the TREES!:rolleyes:

So whats the deal there?

The Ozark Backwoods Challenge is an entirely unique experience. Inspired by the challenging terrain of the Arkansas Ozarks, this competition tests not only a pilot’s skill but demands extreme knowledge of equipment and unparalleled judgment. The terrain involves actual backwoods flying while adding the exciting elements of time trials with unpredictable river valley winds. All of these aspects combine to make this experience more complex than your average STOL competition!

“An accident looking for a place to happen” found a place.

It’s competitive motorsport. Is the Baja 1000 too dangerous?

It’s competitive motorsport. Is the Baja 1000 too dangerous?
The argument is that the Baja 1000 does not race through and jump over people’s houses. Three crashes into back yards in a week before the event is noteworthy, FWIW.
I don’t think the neighbors have a leg to stand on until a plane crashes into a house or kids birthday party tent, but it certainty doesn’t help GA overall for there to be so many crashes near residential areas.

The argument is that the Baja 1000 does not race through and jump over people’s houses. Three crashes into back yards in a week before the event is noteworthy, FWIW.
I don’t think the neighbors have a leg to stand on until a plane crashes into a house or kids birthday party tent, but it certainty doesn’t help GA overall for there to be so many crashes near residential areas.
I raced Baja for many years, we DO race through back yards, city streets, and the like. The driver I was riding with one time, drove THROUGH a tent and camp site. I was horrified, there could have been people in the tent. Or, while on the dry lake bed doing 105 in dust that prevents vision past the end of the hood to see an EZ up go by 5 feet from the side of the car!

Back