What's your go-to Concealed Carry weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone around you is a psychopath. Indeed, criminals with that level of psychosis are rare, I think most just want a quick score. Somehow I've managed to exist for numerous decades with no firearms at all. Imagine that.

The problem with that logic is the same as the people who say, "When I was a kid we rode bikes on the highways with no helmet and I survived." Those who didn't survive aren't around so it's not statistically relevant that you survived unscathed.

I used to think that way then I had a cousin who was raped and strangled by somebody who she was trying to help.

There is evil in the world.

I had a coworker whose pregnant wife was kidnapped, killed, and dumped into a river by a couple (man and woman) she was trying to help file for unemployment. That's what she got for being compassionate and empathetic.

My television gripe for the day: Real crime episode, reenactment of a 1922 murder of a husband. They find .25 casings present on the scene but no gun. Gun turns up later. It's a revolver.

Yes, there were .25 ACP revolvers that existed. But who ejects three and only three shell casings on to the floor from a revolver after shooting someone?

Well, if you want to trace back how it happened...

I asked for advice on how to use empathy to substitute for carry. You jumped in and questioned the request, suggesting that just being careful was enough. Examples were given where being careful was not enough and then you became the victim, persecuted by people who wouldn't accept you not carrying a weapon.

Did I summarize that accurately?..

I would just add what has become the standard way a conversation with a lib, er, uh,....a person like him goes:

person 1: let's discuss X
him: X IS KILLING EVERYONE X IS DESTROYING EVERYTHING X IS THE CAUSE OF ALL THE WORLDS PROBLEMS
person 1: site factual links please?
him: uh, well you don't have to get so worked up over it, sheesh, I think we see where the real problem lies......
person 1:

it's a cookie cutter template of how almost all of these conversations go these days.

The problem with that logic is the same as the people who say, "When I was a kid we rode bikes on the highways with no helmet and I survived." Those who didn't survive aren't around so it's not statistically relevant that you survived unscathed.

Good point. For many years I rode a motorcycle (and still do) while wearing a helmet. At times I wondered why I wore a helmet as I had no accidents and close calls were very few as I found training and awareness to be sufficient. But ten years ago, while on the interstate a driver at a high rate of speed came from nowhere and struck the bike from behind sending me tumbling down the road at interstate speeds. By the Grace of God and a helmet I survived with no real injury. The helmet was destroyed but it did exactly what it was designed to do.

Many Cirrus pilots have never had to pull the chute and might never have to but the option is there. Many are now vaccinated in an effort to protect themselves from something they may or may not ever be exposed to or survive if they were exposed. Humans have the right to take reasonable precautions to protect themselves. Responsible humans do.

Many Cirrus pilots have never had to pull the chute and might never have to but the option is there. Many are now vaccinated in an effort to protect themselves from something they may or may not ever be exposed to or survive if they were exposed. Humans have the right to take reasonable precautions to protect themselves. Responsible humans do.
The vaccine reminds me of High Points... or worse.

My favorite CCW is a phone.

And if it is one of those Samsungs, you can do real damage with it. :)

The phone call is indeed the first thing I do, same as when starting CPR or grabbing the AED, but help is a long way off here.

I did a course with he local sheriff's office where we got to meet with all the various departments and other emergency services. They had one of these situation simulators where you watched an ensuing situation and then had to draw and fire at the screen with an electronic pistol. On my turn I got off four kill shots at the appropriate time. The deputy running the situation asked if I thought I'd have gotten that off in real life. I told him I probably wouldn't have gotten four because the electronic pistol didn't have a recoil, but I figure I'd probably have gotten one.

Originally a Mae West quote.
Yeah. I was googlin for just that quote from her, but there wasn't a just that. Lots of the ' best of mae west' and long scenes from movies where that was in there somewhere. Then I saw this one. It starts with a pretty good impression of Mae

Yes, we all have small penises. Much smaller than yours certainly. Because it's always the guys with big penises who bring up penis size. So we get it, you've got a big one, and we all totally believe you. But did you have anything useful to add?

LOL! Mine is so small you can’t even see it. It’s like I don’t even have one. That must be the only reason I carry a gun, yep, that’s it, penis envy. :)

Last edited:
LOL! Mine is so small you can’t even see it. It’s like it I don’t even have one. That must be the only reason I carry a gun, yep, that’s it, penis envy. :)
Freud was right? :D :p

So's ya ain't gots one, buts ya wants one. We have the technology now. Do they have like model #'s

I’m having a little trouble visualizing the Militia being called up and going into battle with pistols in their pocket.:ihih:
That would have been better than the reality. When the War of 1812 started, the Mass militia had mostly pikes rather than muskets. The NY state militia initially refused to cross the Niagara River into Upper Canada because their mandate was to defend the U.S., not to invade other countries. And almost none of them was able to get adequate blankets or winter clothing to their troops, so the cold killed more Americans than the British did.

After the war, the U.S. realised that the citizen-militia concept was pretty-much useless (while their small professional navy had done very well against the British), so they invested in building up a bigger federal professional standing army like the European powers had. The concept of a citizen militia has been mostly just a matter of national mythology since then (national guards notwithstanding).

To bring it back to aviation, the reason I carry is the same reason Cirrus is the number one seller of single engine aircraft.

They have a chute. Why? For that very rare chance you lose an engine or something catastrophic happens. A very large number of us will never have that happen, but I can tell you, my wife wants a Cirrus for that very reason. She used to CC until she went to work for a company based in California that had strict rules against it.

Ever have your window broken out on you sitting at a stop light by some vagrant? I have. Ever been approached at a gas station in the middle of the night by a group of people up to no good? My wife has. In both cases a gun wasn't drawn, but rather it was verbally communicated the consequences if they didn't leave immediately.

Reactions: cdb
That would have been better than the reality. When the War of 1812 started, the Mass militia had mostly pikes rather than muskets. The NY state militia initially refused to cross the Niagara River into Upper Canada because their mandate was to defend the U.S., not to invade other countries. And almost none of them was able to get adequate blankets or winter clothing to their troops, so the cold killed more Americans than the British did.

After the war, the U.S. realised that the citizen-militia concept was pretty-much useless (while their small professional navy had done very well against the British), so they invested in building up a bigger federal professional standing army like the European powers had. The concept of a citizen militia has been mostly just a matter of national mythology since then (national guards notwithstanding).

Situation would be a little bit different today. Most citizens would be well-equipped to deal with the climate, not to mention the quality of weapons owned by the common citizen. It doesn't do much against advanced artillery, but that's why we have the standing army.

This is hysterical. The thread asks what you concealed carry. When I answer nothing you all act like the world is caving in.

Obviously, it’s the attitude you said it with that rubs people the wrong way. Clearly, you can understand that.

If the title of the thread was “What color horse do you own?”, would you feel compelled to respond that you don’t own a horse? How’s that for an exceedingly poor analogy?

Last edited:
To bring it back to aviation, the reason I carry is the same reason Cirrus is the number one seller of single engine aircraft.

They have a chute. Why? For that very rare chance you lose an engine or something catastrophic happens. A very large number of us will never have that happen, but I can tell you, my wife wants a Cirrus for that very reason. She used to CC until she went to work for a company based in California that had strict rules against it.

Ever have your window broken out on you sitting at a stop light by some vagrant? I have. Ever been approached at a gas station in the middle of the night by a group of people up to no good? My wife has. In both cases a gun wasn't drawn, but rather it was verbally communicated the consequences if they didn't leave immediately.

One of the problems evaluating whether carrying a gun pays is you never hear about all the times it saves people but no one got shot. My brother was approached in a lonely parking lot by three men pretty obviously bent on robbing him or worse. They were flanking him when a breeze halfway blew his jacket open so he went ahead and pushed it all the way back revealing the handgun on his hip. They saw it, stopped dead in their tracks, got back in their car and left. No words spoken, no one hurt. He didn’t even draw.

You will never hear about stuff like this on the news but it happens all the time. Even just having conceal carry in an area seems to lower crime because criminals know there is a chance a would be victim is armed. So when people talk about comparing handgun accidents to handgun saves the data is pretty skewed.

As for the unlikelihood of being a victim, first, even if it is unlikely, it is a high cost result. The worse the result, the lower the likelihood threshold where you take protective measures. It’s very unlikely my house will burn down but if it does the cost is tremendously high so I buy insurance and have smoke detectors.

Second, it’s not as unlikely as most people think it is. Thinking you’re safe from crime because it hasn’t happened to you yet is the same complacency that gets you killed when you’re a high time pilot with no erstwhile screwups.

Obviously you never saw the documentary Red Dawn. You apparently never read Mao either.

It’s always preferable to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have one.
I keep a Roger LCP 380 in my back pocket. Bigger guns stay in the truck.

*cough* southeast asia *cough*

One of the problems evaluating whether carrying a gun pays is you never hear about all the times it saves people but no one got shot. My brother was approached in a lonely parking lot by three men pretty obviously bent on robbing him or worse. They were flanking him when a breeze halfway blew his jacket open so he went ahead and pushed it all the way back revealing the handgun on his hip. They saw it, stopped dead in their tracks, got back in their car and left. No words spoken, no one hurt. He didn’t even draw.

That's not at all uncommon. The US Department of Justice estimates 100,000 instances of defensive gun use by private citizens each year, overwhelmingly without a shot fired. Other estimates put the number much, much higher. https://www.realclearinvestigations...heres_why_you_rarely_hear_of_them_794461.html

Those who have never carried probably wouldn’t know this but when you do carry it makes you more vigilant and more careful in general. There’s a literal and figurative weight of responsibility in your pocket.

You want to avoid trouble even more than you would otherwise because of where things potentially could go. You have to always be thinking about the law how it affects whether you can go into certain establishments or certain states. I think that all that generally brings a heightened state of awareness too.

I’m in my late 30s and have never been threatened by not threatened anyone else with a gun. I expect that trend to continue for the rest of my life. That said, having the option makes me feel better.

I have never had my house broken into, yet I lock the doors.
I have never had a house fire, yet I keep fire extiguishers around.
I have never had an engine out or other aviation emergency (well,there was one situation but, statute of limitations... ) yet I practice engine-out and other emergency procedures.
I have never been a victim of a violent crime, yet I (may or may not) carry items of self-defense.

It's not about the odds of being a victim of such happenings, which for most of us are typically are extremely low.
It's about the stakes, which can be extremely high, when such events do occur.

p.s. :cheers: for Bersa

In my lifetime so far I've only known one person (a cousin) to lose a house to a fire.

But,....
  • A coworker was shot during an attempted car jacking.
  • Another coworker was shot and killed during a stick-up in his apartment parking lot.
  • A high school friend was shot and killed on the sidewalk in front of her house.
  • An aunt and cousin were robbed and beaten at an ATM.
It seems to me the odds of being a crime victim are higher than the odds of being a fire victim (I confess to not having checked the stats; just going on personal experience). I have fire extinguishers and smoke alarms. It makes even more sense to be armed.

Last edited:
Your empathy would have been quite useful if you'd been in that pickup that got shot at randomly. /S

My empathy caused me to go to the scene to see if I needed to save a life, which I would have attempted to do had the assailants returned.

You do you, but can you try really, really hard to stop being a wet blanket on those of us who see the world differently? Maybe have a little empathy for our perspective?
I have empathy for those killed by accidental discharges and shootings.
There were at least 2,070 unintentional shootings by children, resulting in 765 deaths from 2015 to 2020.

But I thought this was a pilot forum, not a gun-lovers forum. Perhaps I am wrong.
To each their own. Your post provides significant insight.
Your posts also provide significant insight.
If that were the case.....99.5% would be fine without the vax. :D
Care to bring up mask mandates as well? This thread could benefit from some thread drift.
Although I sometimes carried (before the boating accident), I also sometimes carried a couple of 20s in my pocket as well. If giving an aggressive person $40-50 gets them to go away peacefully, it's a win.
And ends up being cheaper than owning, maintaining, and registering a gun.
well....you certainly don't want to wait around for a firefighter to put the fire out. o_O
Actually, plenty of people have gotten killed from not waiting for the fire department. Putting themselves and others into harm's way when they were not actually prepared for the situation. Then that exacerbates the situation and puts more people into harm's way to rescue or recover them. If you don't have a SCBA, trying to put out anything more than a small fire is quite risky.
person 1: let's discuss X
him: X IS KILLING EVERYONE X IS DESTROYING EVERYTHING X IS THE CAUSE OF ALL THE WORLDS PROBLEMS
person 1: site factual links please?
him: uh, well you don't have to get so worked up over it, sheesh, I think we see where the real problem lies......
person 1:

it's a cookie cutter template of how almost all of these conversations go these days.
Please don't start talking about the vaccine here ;)
It’s always preferable to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have one.
I keep a Roger LCP 380 in my back pocket. Bigger guns stay in the truck.
That does not apply to all the victims of accidental discharge accidents or those kids that shoot themselves, parents, or friends, accidentally or not.

We don't ban cars because of stupid teenagers doing teenager things. 'nuff said. Life happens, it stinks, but you don't get to tell me I can't let my kid learn to drive, and same goes for the firearms. I'll teach mine responsibly and hope that others do as well.

XDs 45. I have carried others, but that one is the first 45 that no one can see in the manner I carry it.

There were at least 2,070 unintentional shootings by children, resulting in 765 deaths from 2015 to 2020.

But I thought this was a pilot forum, not a gun-lovers forum. Perhaps I am wrong.

Your posts also provide significant insight.

Care to bring up mask mandates as well? This thread could benefit from some thread drift.

And ends up being cheaper than owning, maintaining, and registering a gun.

Actually, plenty of people have gotten killed from not waiting for the fire department. Putting themselves and others into harm's way when they were not actually prepared for the situation. Then that exacerbates the situation and puts more people into harm's way to rescue or recover them. If you don't have a SCBA, trying to put out anything more than a small fire is quite risky.

Please don't start talking about the vaccine here ;)

That does not apply to all the victims of accidental discharge accidents or those kids that shoot themselves, parents, or friends, accidentally or not.
Why are you here? What is your purpose in all of this? I find your constant badgering hostile, abusive and not in keeping with the RoC

My cell phone on speed dial to my lawyer.
I don’t need a lawyer often enough to even have one’s phone number without looking it up. Of course I’ve had to defend myself with a gun even fewer times than I’ve needed a lawyer…. So there’s that, I guess.

If I were going to carry, it would be an LCP with an empty chamber. Just never have gotten around to it.

As does everyone. But that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. It wasn't their fault.

BTW, there are no accidental discharges. There are only negligent discharges, ones that happen because someone was negligent with a gun. Sometimes that's the person who shoots themselves, some times it isn't. Either way, every one should know enough about gun safety to not pick one up if they aren't completely versed in how to be safe. Regrettably, too many people are taught that gun safety can only be accomplished by gun banishment. The very thing that they're trying to accomplish makes guns less safe.

In the past, gun owner ship was far more common, yet there were less deaths. Why is that?

In the past, gun owner ship was far more common, yet there were less deaths. Why is that?
My parents took me to the family ranch multiple times a year every year as I grew up. My uncle kept a loaded rifle (that I now take care of) in the back of his pickup and we all knew where it was, and that we had no business touching it. Weird that we all survived. There were plenty of other firearms around, too, but we were also taught to mind. Undisciplined children and their negligent parents are the problem.

I beg to differ. I've been around a rather long time and don't seem to be continually victimized. Perhaps because I use good judgement in my surroundings, who knows. But I am unarmed, unharmed, and unafraid.
I’ve never been victimized either. A good friend of mine and his wife never had either, right up until the day both of them were murdered in their own home by some dirtbag who picked their house at random and shot them just for the hell of it. I’m sure it would never have occurred to Steve to carry a pistol out in their quiet little acreage.

I carry insurance on my house and airplane too, even though I plan to never crash my plane into the house. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back