PIREPs KEKS (Big Sky, MT)?

Jim Rosenow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Rosenow
Headed for Montana within the next couple weeks. Will base out of Ennis for a few days, doing the touristy thing. Buddy we're meeting there has a daughter who is a guide in Yellowstone, so it should be a cool trip.

We'll be in the R182 (non-turbo, but only 2 bodies), and thinking of running the river valley/ Rte 287 from Henrys Lake up to KEKS, to avoid the highest stuff on the way in and out.

Anybody in the area or with experience care to share thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Jim

Last edited:
Although I have not flown through Raynolds Pass over Henry's Lake, going up and over Island Park through Raynolds Pass and into the Madison Valley is how my CFI and I flight planned for a flight from KBZN to KIDA and this in a 172/180. Other pilots I know that have flown into KBZN from the south have flown over/through Raynolds Pass, too.

In other words, I have no direct experience but that is a common way in/out of SW Montana for GA.

Good information, allPrimes....thank you!

Jim

Live in the Paradise Valley and fly routinely the Madison Valley. Coming from the North easy flight down the Valley from Bozeman. From the South across Henry's Lake and across Raynolds early in the AM is usually good. For a visually spectacular flight turn South at Livingston fly down Paradise Vally to Gardiner across the Plateau of Yellowstone then West and North across Hebgen Lake and out the Valley of Earthquake Lake. If the winds are up would not suggest this route. Flying over Yellowstone and looking to the South to Jackson and the Tetons creates an awe inducing state. One should not miss the chance to fly over Yellowstone especially since you are making the trip.

Live in the Paradise Valley and fly routinely the Madison Valley. Coming from the North easy flight down the Valley from Bozeman. From the South across Henry's Lake and across Raynolds early in the AM is usually good. For a visually spectacular flight turn South at Livingston fly down Paradise Vally to Gardiner across the Plateau of Yellowstone then West and North across Hebgen Lake and out the Valley of Earthquake Lake. If the winds are up would not suggest this route. Flying over Yellowstone and looking to the South to Jackson and the Tetons creates an awe inducing state. One should not miss the chance to fly over Yellowstone especially since you are making the trip.

What would you consider as the winds being up for this route? I'm a recently-certificated PPL and am planning on making a day trip to KJAC in a few weeks. I'd love to fly through the Paradise Valley and over all of YNP to get to Jackson, but have heard that winds at Gardiner can just be silly, which is why I'll likely go through Raynold's pass.

Last edited:
If the wind is above 15 knots the ride is rough in Paradise Valley, past Dome Mountain to Gardiner and then across the Park. The prevailing winds are from the Southwest, if one continues to Jackson that places you on the leeward side of the Tetons with downdrafts coming out of the chutes, exciting is an understatement. Above 15 knots I fly to Bozeman through a small pass out of Paradise Valley and then down the Madison Valley as the winds are generally milder also placing me on the windward side of the mountains for more lift than sink. I try and complete my flying by 9AM or after 4PM. The Husky I fly of course is light and can get thrown around quite a bit so I tend to fly the valleys as the wind at altitude is much stronger. Usually check Windy.Com prior to flight to know what the winds are at the mountain tops in anticipation of strong sink. To fly above the mountains at the recommended 2000 foot clearance you are pretty much at oxygen levels. allPrimes the winds at Gardiner at times are beyond silly, coming across the plateau descending flowing into Gardiner and then racing back up the opposite side. The pass out of Gardiner into Paradise Valley is rather narrow. In the morning one will get a mild outflow from Gardiner and from Tom Miner basin the join at the south end of Paradise Valley, couple of miles North and tends to die down. In the afternoon can really start to churn. Sorry to be so verbose but this is what I have gleaned flying here and hope you have a smooth and safe flight.

I’ve flown the next valley west in a Beech Skipper, which is known to be underpowered. Had no issues at all through Monica Pass which is just slightly higher than Raynolds Pass. Beautiful area for sure

In the mid-70's I learned to fly in Livingston when I was a teenager at Yellowstone Air Service. I believe they're still in business. I used to fly down Paradise Valley when I practiced my maneuvers. Never when the winds were strong.

I actually did a solo X-C as a student to West Yellowstone. I flew down over Bozeman, then Ennis, & over Raynolds Pass. It was a beautiful flight as I recall in a brand new 172. I'm currently a full time CFI & can't imagine sending a student on that cross county today! Things were more relaxed back then.

Fly early in the morning if the winds are calm & prepare for some beautiful scenery.

I'm grateful I learned to fly in the mountains of the Big Sky country.

Back