GTN750 to GTN750xi

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Are there any other shops than Sarasota avionics that offer an upgrade deal?

Are there any other shops than Sarasota avionics that offer an upgrade deal?

I personally don't think the XI is a $5,000. improvement over the 750. But that's just my opinion.

I personally don't think the XI is a $5,000. improvement over the 750. But that's just my opinion.
At this point the new "Smart Glide" only comes on the Xi.
Bigger question is how much an upgrade in the future will cost, will it be less than $5k or more?

Agreed. In my situation, I would only upgrade my 650 to the 750Xi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

750xi has a better display, faster processor and several features like smart glide that would make it worth the 5 AMU increase in price for some. I am betting that the install cost is also a couple of additional AMU's.

At this point the new "Smart Glide" only comes on the Xi.
Bigger question is how much an upgrade in the future will cost, will it be less than $5k or more?

I see "smart glide" as a neat feature that I hope I would never need to use. It's just not a must have for me. I hope that Garmin has learned there lessons and the next generation fits in the same trays.

750xi has a better display, faster processor and several features like smart glide that would make it worth the 5 AMU increase in price for some. I am betting that the install cost is also a couple of additional AMU's.
We are doing the upgrade on the club V35. The existing 750 “vanilla” hasn’t been the best bit of hardware for us. We love the feature and functions, but have suffered frequent problems with the hardware recently.

We were told the install is mostly configurations to ensure everything works with the new unit. Short of that, it’s close to slide in. Very little behind panel work.

We have the the 650Xi in the 182. And everyone really likes it for the processor, graphics clarity, and functionality.

You lost that bet, it’s $4889 all in for the upgrade from old 750.

You lost that bet, it’s $4889 all in for the upgrade from old 750.
That is the offer from Sarasota in Florida, but I was wondering if anyone knows of other dealers offering this?
Given they are 825miles/ 6:30hrs from my location, it would be nice to have someone closer as an option

I don't claim to understand much about Garmin devices, but from what I've read in this thread I wonder. If the xi uses new hardware then the "upgrade" is really a replacement. It seems to me that is trading an old one in and your trade + $5k buys a new one. If I am correct why not just call your local Garmin dealers and ask them if they'll make the same deal?

I don't claim to understand much about Garmin devices, but from what I've read in this thread I wonder. If the xi uses new hardware then the "upgrade" is really a replacement. It seems to me that is trading an old one in and your trade + $5k buys a new one. If I am correct why not just call your local Garmin dealers and ask them if they'll make the same deal?
Many avionics dealers will not take trade in devices. When I did my panel upgrade, the dealer handed me a box with all my old stuff in it and said they don't buy it. I think the only way they would exchange stuff is if Garmin had an official trade up program for that particular product.

SA is a big outfit, 5 separate locations, and can resell used equipment because of number of customers, small shops can’t do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct it is replacement.
And asking my shop was the first thing I did, and while I could sell the GTN750 myself. This means I am out $20K plus before i recover the money from selling the 'old' unit.

You are correct it is replacement.
And asking my shop was the first thing I did, and while I could sell the GTN750 myself. This means I am out $20K plus before i recover the money from selling the 'old' unit.
That's what the classifieds on here are for. I ended up with a box of radios after my upgrade. Sold most of it to folks on here. Just don't expect to get anything close to what you paid:oops:

That's what the classifieds on here are for. I ended up with a box of radios after my upgrade. Sold most of it to folks on here. Just don't expect to get anything close to what you paid:oops:
I think you are missing the point.
With a dealer upgrade offer, I need to have $5k in the bank to do it
Without i need $20k+ in the bank and then have to hope and wait to recover $15k+ after the install is done

I think you are missing the point.
With a dealer upgrade offer, I need to have $5k in the bank to do it
Without i need $20k+ in the bank and then have to hope and wait to recover $15k+ after the install is done
If you can find such an offer take it. Its worth flying to Sarasota to save 15 G's! You will never recover anything close to 15G on the used market.

If you can find such an offer take it. Its worth flying to Sarasota to save 15 G's! You will never recover anything close to 15G on the used market.

FYI, Sarasota is selling the used 750s for $12589 with tray, antenna, installation kit. Saves someone $3000.
Theirs comes with 6 month warranty….

Have you looked at these guys? I don't have personal experience with them, but a fella at my former airfield did a complete panel & A/P upgrade with them, and was very happy with both quality and cost. It looks like they might be in your back yard, too.

Back