I now hate Fedex more than I hate the post office!

Maybe get hooked up with a significant other & ask her(?) to wait around? Of course it may be easier to just pick it up from the closest Fedex shipping depot.

When I was expecting a signed FedEx package, I would take the day off...and actually sit on my porch reading a book, waiting for the package. Numerous times, FedEx would show "attempted delivery" when they never showed. It reached a point that I stopped taking the first day off of the expected delivery, and just waited on the second day.
They also had lost numerous packages, and once a FedEx employee told me that during Christmas time, their part time employees ripped them off so bad, they did not bother to investigate when packages were reported lost...they just paid the insurance.

I'm having a real problem with the local FedEx guys. They never leave the boxes anywhere near my front door. I can understand them putting them in odd places in my garage when those doors are open, but leaving them in the driveway when they could walk 20 feet more and put them at the front door would be a whole lot better.

The real amusing one is one where they left a notation that they left the packages by my "back door." It took me a while to figure out where the "back" door they mentioned was. The left them on the steps leading to my screen porch which is up two flights of steps from any of the actual doors on the back side of the house. Amusingly, as far as the county building department goes, that's my front door (don't get me started...).

When I was expecting a signed FedEx package, I would take the day off...and actually sit on my porch reading a book, waiting for the package. Numerous times, FedEx would show "attempted delivery" when they never showed. It reached a point that I stopped taking the first day off of the expected delivery, and just waited on the second day.
They also had lost numerous packages, and once a FedEx employee told me that during Christmas time, their part time employees ripped them off so bad, they did not bother to investigate when packages were reported lost...they just paid the insurance.

One of the nice things about buying from Amazon (or I suppose other companies who are big customers of delivery companies) is that no matter what problems occur with a shipment, I just call Amazon. I don't have to deal with the delivery companies' endless phone loops that all end with some guy named "Bobby" or some gal named "Sally" in Bangalore (if you don't give up before then); nor with unresponsive manufacturers when there's a problem with the product itself. No matter what the problem, one call to Amazon makes it right.

That being said, other than in cases of extremely late deliveries when they were still using FedEx SmartPost, I don't think I've called Amazon more than half a dozen times, if even that many. I called once when a router didn't work, another time when a glass bowl was shattered due to inadequate packaging by one of their third-party sellers, and once when a padded envelope got torn up by a conveyor somewhere along the line and all the contents were lost. I'm pretty sure that's it.

My experiences with other vendors haven't been as positive. If there's a shipping delay, most of them basically say that there's nothing they can do about it. If a shipment never arrives at all, they refund my money and/or re-ship, but usually only after I threaten to dispute the charge.

Sam's club is sort of an exception. They usually ship by FedEx SmartPost, but after literally every package they shipped to me was stranded in New Jersey for more than a week, they started shipping my orders by FedEx ground or air. I guess they made a notation on my account. Most of the time, however, I just use their ship-to-store service these days. I usually have reason to go to Kingston at least once or twice a week anyway, and it's almost always the faster option.

Rich

Rich,

Did Amazon send someone to do the cleanup after a delivery driver pooped on your driveway? :D :devil:

Just being a bit of an intelligent donkey there. While I was working, whenever I ordered anything sent by UPS or FEDEX I had it sent to the shop because there was always someone there to sign for the package.

I used to live close enough to the distribution centers that I'd get the Amazon private couriers. It was pretty amazing. I remember ordering a book at 4PM one night and tripping over it on my way out the door at 8AM the next morning.

Most of the Amazon deliveries here seem to come UPS now. UPS has us fairly late on the route (those packages always seem to arrive around 6PM).

Doesn't UPS delivery guys have some sort of time limit to be out of their truck for a delivery.?? I have seen those guys run red lights after all other traffic has stopped. Stop signs seem to be a mere suggestion, and of course they leave their truck in the middle of the road to jump out and place a box somewhere on or near the property.

I remember the commercials where they always hoped Dale Jarret would "race the truck". Instead all they needed to do was put one of their drivers in the race and tell him to deliver this package to the flag man and no one would have been able to keep up with him.

I'm having a real problem with the local FedEx guys. They never leave the boxes anywhere near my front door. I can understand them putting them in odd places in my garage when those doors are open, but leaving them in the driveway when they could walk 20 feet more and put them at the front door would be a whole lot better.

The real amusing one is one where they left a notation that they left the packages by my "back door." It took me a while to figure out where the "back" door they mentioned was. The left them on the steps leading to my screen porch which is up two flights of steps from any of the actual doors on the back side of the house. Amusingly, as far as the county building department goes, that's my front door (don't get me started...).
At my old house, the UPS guys would leave packages against the garage door. Right behind my car. Fortunately, I never backed over one, but that was just luck. I called to compalin a couple of times, but it never helped.

I’ll add my FedEx ground story.

I’m in the process of preparing my garage to install an epoxy floor coating on the concrete. After repairing all the cracks and divots, and renting a grinder to remove the old flaking paint, the concrete is ready for the epoxy install. I ordered all of the epoxy coating supplies which were to be delivered in 5 separate containers under 5 separate FedEx teacking numbers.

I was home when the FedEx guy delivered 4 of the 5 shipments last Wednesday. That evening, I checked the status of the undelivered 5th tracking number, and the FedEx tracking site indicated it would be delivered the next day (last Thursday). Thursday evening, the package having not arrived, I checked the status of the tracking number, and the FedEx site now indicated that the package had been delivered with the others on Wednesday! No, that wasn’t true. It’s been almost a week now, and they still show the package has been delivered, and FedEx says they are treating it as a lost, unrecoverable package. I’m having to get the epoxy supplier to reship the material. How one can lose a bright yellow, large box weighing 50 lbs is a mystery...

What is most annoying is that their system allows them to mark a package as “delivered” when it hasn’t been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember the commercials where they always hoped Dale Jarret would "race the truck". Instead all they needed to do was put one of their drivers in the race and tell him to deliver this package to the flag man and no one would have been able to keep up with him.

That could never happen because NASCAR guys can only make left turns and UPS routes, when possible, are arranged so that they are almost exclusively right turns for time savings and safety. ;)

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=3005890&page=1

If I have a package coming it’s usually left in the garage, once in a while on the front porch. If it shows delivered and not here, I may check with the neighbors.

Not much risk of theft here, I do have to remind our dog to be nice to strangers though.

I chuckle when I see the UPS truck turn LEFT, can’t be going right all the time.

Doesn't UPS delivery guys have some sort of time limit to be out of their truck for a delivery.?? I have seen those guys run red lights after all other traffic has stopped. Stop signs seem to be a mere suggestion, and of course they leave their truck in the middle of the road to jump out and place a box somewhere on or near the property.
I don’t think it’s a time limit away from their truck, but rather a time trial each day to deliver the quantity of packages they carry. I’ve seen UPS out after 8pm before, and considering that it’s off to the races relatively early (7a-8a) every morning, that makes for a long day. I wouldn’t want the job, but I hear they get paid decently. Probably more than a FO at a regional airline coincidentally ;).

Friend of mine worked for UPS. High School grad, driver/warehouse worker, retired after 30 years (I think), owns two very nice houses, one in FL, one in OH, both houses fully paid for and living the good life.

Cheers

Truthfully, they all make mistakes. Whether USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL or Amazon. (am I missing anyone? sorry)
They all have the same potential for screw-ups due to the most common factor: humans.
I've had bad experience with all but don't really hate one specifically anymore. It is usually the last one to screw up that I hate temporarily but it gets normally superseded by a new screw-up by someone else. :)

Sorry to hear about your problem but you are not alone, nor are you the last to get gypped.

Now let's go fly!

Just tagging on.

Plane's in for annual. I need a new wheel half. I order one and pay extra for 2 day shipping to get it last Thursday. It doesn't show. Check the tracking number. Their website indicated that it made it to STL Wednesday night (60 miles away) and got stuck there. "Delayed due to incliment weather."

It was 80 freakin' degrees and sunny in Saint Louis last Thursday! They set a new record high. "Incliment weather" my ass.

But they're sticking by their story and won't refund the shipping costs.

United Parcel Service.

Oh, it was finally delivered yesterday.

I'm resurrecting an old thread because the title fits...

My flight club's 172 recently suffered a prop strike (engine start with the tow bar still attached. Teardown required, and since the engine was more than 50% of the way to TBO, the board decided to swap the engine for a rebuild. They found one available from a reputable shop who had it waiting for another customer, who had recently decided they were going to fly behind their current engine for another year or two. So in short order, the engine was being shipped out to us, via FedEx. It was due to arrive this past Tuesday.

On Thursday, the club president was notified that FedEx had LOST OUR ENGINE. How that is possible remains a mystery. Fortunately, they found it a day or two later, and it is now expected to arrive next Tuesday.

I have found that signing up for 'myUPS put an end to the 'waiting for the UPS man' routine. I can transmit a temporary garage code, if it's a 'signature required', I can redirect the delivery to a store.

Since the old thread has been revived, USPS is at the top of the list for ordering something from the U.S. to Canada. FedEx is so-so, and UPS is abysmal. When a package crosses the U.S./Canada border, UPS Ground will charge the recipient an extra $60-100 in "brokerage and handling fees" at the door, on top of whatever you already paid for shipping (it's $10 for USPS, if customs brokerage wasn't prepaid).

There are least used to be entire web sites in Canada dedicated solely to hating UPS Ground, because U.S. shippers will keep using it for Canadian orders even when they've told us they wouldn't.

Actually, I also hate UPS more than the post office now too, but this isn't about that.

Last month I was awaiting a Fedex delivery that required a signature. Scheduled delivery date was before end of day on a Monday. I waited till about 11am and checked the tracking. It was updated to say delivery would be between 1pm and 3pm, so I left the house for a half hour. The package came (and went) around 11:30. Of course I wasn't here, so I had to wait at home all day on Tuesday. It came around 6:30 while I was busy burning dinner.

Now, I was expecting another delivery on Monday, by end of day. I figured it was fine if we went to Atlanta for the weekend for a friends 40'th anniversary and get back early Monday, but the package came (and went) on Saturday. The nastygram said it would be scheduled for the next business day, which is today (Monday). Well, I got home early today and waited all day until just now. I just checked the tracking site and they now say it will be delivered tomorrow between 11:50 and 2:10. Yeah, sure. So now I have to stay home all day again tomorrow. If this wasn't an important health related item, I would just tell them to eat it and take it back. But I really need it.
I have had the exact same frustration. Twice we know we stayed at home and they still marked us as not home/ unable to deliver. Plus,I asked the vendor specifically to ship ups, three times they screwed it up. Unfortunately they are the only vendor that has what I want. I have found ups to be much more reliable and flexible. If requested they will drop off at a ups store for later pick up. Sometimes they don’t even bother with the signature.

I think it all depends on your local area and especially the particular driver. FedEx and UPS are good where I am but the USPS has gone completely to sheeeet. Tracking says delivered but it’s nowhere in sight, may or may not show up after another week. Stuff delivered to the wrong address. Hopefully you have good neighbors that’ll get it to you. The mail person never shows up at all, but maybe early the next day you’ll get yesterday’s mail. Then you’ll get today’s mail at 8 pm that night. (Or did yesterday’s get delivered at midnight last night?) Or they do deliver the mail on time but fail to take the outgoing. It was bad before but since covid it has really gone into the toilet. I know the post office is overwhelmed but somehow UPS and Fedex, also overwhelmed, are dealing with it, at least in my area. Those drivers seem happy while the USPS people seem on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

The biggest problem I see with signature required is that was fine back when most homes had a stay at home housewife. Times are different now.

The biggest problem I see with signature required is that was fine back when most homes had a stay at home housewife. Times are different now.
Yeah, now everybody's able to work from home during the pandemic. :)

But prior to last year, most everyone I know had the smaller stuff delivered to work or to a locker.

I think it all depends on your local area and especially the particular driver. FedEx and UPS are good where I am but the USPS has gone completely to sheeeet. Tracking says delivered but it’s nowhere in sight, may or may not show up after another week. Stuff delivered to the wrong address. Hopefully you have good neighbors that’ll get it to you. The mail person never shows up at all, but maybe early the next day you’ll get yesterday’s mail. Then you’ll get today’s mail at 8 pm that night. (Or did yesterday’s get delivered at midnight last night?) Or they do deliver the mail on time but fail to take the outgoing. It was bad before but since covid it has really gone into the toilet. I know the post office is overwhelmed but somehow UPS and Fedex, also overwhelmed, are dealing with it, at least in my area. Those drivers seem happy while the USPS people seem on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

My wife and I are both retired, but we are definitely the "stay at home" type. We have lives and commitments. We have to rearrange schedules to stay at home to wait for deliveries, which is ok, unless they don't come and we waste a day.

Worst I've worked with is DHL. They're like the Buffalo Bills of package delivery. They can get a package from China to Latham NY in 4 days, then lose it going across the river 12 miles into Rensselaer County. Consistently.

Remember the story of the DHL jet that landed after an attempted shoot down with a SA-14? They weren't terrorists. They were just trying to get their package delivered.

A bit OT, but I note that posters in the pre-resurrection part of this thread included Rich, RJM62. He seems to have vanished around July 2020. Anybody know what became of him? I always enjoyed reading his posts.

Dave

Regarding FedEx, I have generally had few issues with them, although I had one just this past week. I ordered a radiator and hoses for one of my cars - and was promised delivery Thursday. Coming from
two different places, the radiator showed up on Tuesday - but not the hoses. I had a mechanic scheduled to do the job Saturday - and right on cue when he finished (using the old hoses) FedEx shows up
with the replacement hoses. I suppose that I should be happy that I got exactly what I ordered, they were the correct parts, and all arrived in good condition. Oh well...
Years ago I had a run in with UPS over repeated attempts to deliver packages when I was not home. I asked them to simply hold them at their handling facility and I would pick them up - and was told
"We don't Do That". Huh? Why he hell not? However, my complaint seems to have had an effect, because ever since they have left all packages on my porch - which is fine with me, since it is out of sight
of the road, and protected from the weather. I don't recall losing anything to theft. I have heard horror stories (via a Neighborhood Forum) about package deliverers leaving boxes out on the street or
otherwise in plain sight - to be picked up by thieves in short order. One person even claimed that thieves were following the delivery trucks around, picking up packages they had just dropped off. Hope I
don't have that experience. I do have a dome security camera prominently on display on my house. It will capture an image of anyone approaching the door. Hopefully the camera serves as a deterrent.

Dave

I find all three (UPS, FedEx, USPS) absolutely horrible...like literally the worst businesses I have to deal with nearly daily as a business owner myself (well, 2 are "businesses"). I think part of the reason they are so horrible is because for at least the two businesses, they make keeping costs down their ONLY concern, while the third (USPS) is typical government waste in action, and it only has to be as good (or only has to be not markedly worse, would be a better way of saying it) as the other two. Customer service, or reliable service, are not concerns.

One person even claimed that thieves were following the delivery trucks around, picking up packages they had just dropped off.

Oh yes, that is a thing. I saw a documentary about how they tracked and caught some of those. Yet one more reason I will never live in a densely populated area ever again. In my neighborhood porch theft is non-existent (knock on wood). We have problems but that’s not one of them.

So, as a former FedEx Ground/Home delivery driver, I'll weigh in on a couple issues brought up in this thread. First of all, the timing of a Saturday vs. Monday/Tuesday delivery. If the package was marked with an "G" on the label, those may or may not be attempted on a Saturday depending on the situation. Conversely, if it had an "H" on the label, it may or may not get attempted on a Monday. Ground (hence the "G") delivery days are M-F while Home Delivery ("H") are typically delivered T-S.

As was mentioned before, FedEx Ground and Home Delivery are not FedEx employees, but contractors. As such, FedEx has little control over the drivers directly. I would occasionally get a call from the terminal stating that a customer has XYZ request. I was one of the most proactive drivers out of my terminal and would ask for the customer's number, call them and see what arrangements I could make to work between their schedule and mine including meeting them at their place of business for a package that was scheduled for delivery to their home, etc. That is not the average driver. For the average driver, that is viewed as an inconvenience to them, and if you inconvenience them, they aren't going out of their way to help you out. On the other hand, I viewed it as, "If I don't get this package off today, I'm going to have to deal with it tomorrow, so why don't I see what I can do to get rid of it today."

As far as what is on a truck in a given day, that actually has to do with the official FedEx company (ie. not the contractors) as they are in charge of the over the road portion.

Lastly, a few things you can do to frustrate your FedEx driver:
1) Ask a Ground/Home delivery driver to take a FedEx Express package (has an "E" in the box on the label) or vice versa. They operate as independent companies and don't even go back to the same terminal, so it's not like I'm just being lazy for not taking your package. If I take it, it will NOT get where it's going or at least not in the timely fashion you are hoping for.
2) Don't respond when a driver calls you trying to work out a way to get your package. Ok, with this one, I get it. I don't answer calls from numbers I don't know anymore either. But I'm going to leave you a voicemail and probably text you too. If you don't get back to me until 4:30pm and I've been back at the terminal 40 minutes away since 4pm, I'm not coming back out today to give you your package. I made an honest effort to help you and, be it due to circumstances within or beyond your control, it didn't work out today. I'll make a good effort tomorrow and if you're polite enough, I might even try to run my route around your schedule. If you're rude, don't expect me to go out of my way for you.
3) Try to get me to take a package from UPS or USPS and then argue with me when I tell you that I don't work for that company. I PROMISE the GIANT letters FEDEX on the side of my truck are not there to trick you! I do not work for the "Brown Truck" Company!
4) I have 120+ stops today. I'm an extremely outgoing and friendly person and I'm MORE than happy to talk to you. Just don't go on and on with pointless stories. I didn't get paid by the hour or by the package, I got paid by the day (each contractor is different) so the longer I spend talking to you, the less I'm making per hour. (Side note, UPS drivers make good money and have benefits. FedEx Ground/Home Delivery drivers usually make mediocre money and seldom have benefits.)

If you have any questions regarding FedEx, tag me in your post. I no longer work for them, as I landed a job in federal law enforcement, but I spent enough time working my way up that I can answer a lot of your questions.

I am just now working a problem where someone signed my name but never delivered the package.

I'll make a good effort tomorrow and if you're polite enough, I might even try to run my route around your schedule. If you're rude, don't expect me to go out of my way for you.

It’s amazing how many people don’t get this. They’re rude to everyone then wonder why things don’t go well in their lives.

Lastly, a few things you can do to frustrate your FedEx driver:
1) Ask a Ground/Home delivery driver to take a FedEx Express package (has an "E" in the box on the label) or vice versa. They operate as independent companies and don't even go back to the same terminal, so it's not like I'm just being lazy for not taking your package. If I take it, it will NOT get where it's going or at least not in the timely fashion you are hoping for.

I get it 100% that this is not the driver's issue, but what a stupid way to structure the company. If it says FedEx on it, anyone with a FedEx uniform should be able to handle it. Having delineations between capabilities that isn't apparent to customers is setting everyone up for failure.

Our biggest issue with FedEx in this area (ATL) is that the sorting center in Austell is a black hole, or maybe a teleporter where things magically get transported from the FedEx truck to EBay. I have actually told online companies that I want to buy their product, but I can't trust that it will arrive because they ship via FedEx - it's THAT bad.

Earlier this summer, I ordered a trolling motor - big cumbersome hard-to-miss box. On the day it was supposed to be delivered (via FedEx), we were away from the house and got a call from our neighbor saying "Uhhh.. There's a police officer here that wants to talk to you." .... Oh man.. They found me! ;) .. He said that he found our trolling motor on the side of the road somewhere and it still had the label on it, so he brought it to our house. I drove for UPS as a delivery driver one Christmas season as 'seasonal' help. I get it that sometimes you would put a small box on your dash as your next delivery to save a trip to the back of the truck, but you're not putting a big stinking trolling motor box in the front of the truck - there's nowhere for it to go! And if it WAS up front, you're sure as heck going to notice if it fell out on the side of the road. My best guess is that it was 'dropped' there by the driver so his buddy could come pick it up - it was in the original packaging, no generic brown box, so everyone knew what it was. If you go read the reviews of the Austell FedEx location on Google Maps (or anywhere else it can be reviewed) it's pretty apparent that my situation is not a one-off.

UPS is the best bet in this area - maybe because the sorting center is nearby and it's not in a slum somewhere. USPS is usually OK, but they have pretty consistent 1-day slides in delivering larger packages. FedEx is.... well... flip a coin on whether you're going to get your package at all - don't even think about if it will get here ON TIME.

It’s amazing how many people don’t get this. They’re rude to everyone then wonder why things don’t go well in their lives.

probably some people have had "success" taking advantage of squeaky wheel getting the grease or "the customer is always right"

I must be blessed in some strange way. Fed Ex, UPS and others. I've use them all and have never lost a package, except perhaps the one that got delivered to my across the street neighbor. Sat on their porch forever before I realized what had happened.

I once had to run some conduit and cables outside a customer's house while there was no one home. The customer had a very large, very protective Rottweiler named DeNiro whom she knew would have none of that, so she locked the dog inside the day I was coming.

Unfortunately, her dopey brother had stopped by and let the dog out, not having the good sense to figure his sister probably had a reason for locking him in that day. So when I showed up, opened the gate, and walked into the yard like I owned the place, DeNiro was not happy. He started running at me with the sort of determination that usually means bad news.

Just as I was debating my options, however, he changed posture and slowed to a walk. He then stood in front of me, barked, and started walking toward the gate. I was a bit surprised and didn't follow right away; so he came back, gently took my boot in his jaws, looked up at me, barked, started walking toward the gate again, turned his head, and waited for me. He was literally showing me the door.

I walked toward him and started toward the gate, talking to him as he heeled next to me. "I'm just here to do a job, DeNiro. I also know that you're just doing yours, so no hard feelings." That sort of thing. He continued to calmly escort me to the gate with a relaxed posture. When I was out of the yard and closed the gate behind me, however, he leaped up on it like, well, a mad dog and kept barking and pushing up against the gate until I got back in my car and drove away.

I know it was all a show. DeNiro could have leaped over the fence if he really meant me any harm. He also could have taken chunks out of me in the yard if he wanted to. But at some point he figured out that I meant no harm, so he just escorted me out.

Still, I sometimes wonder if I could have stayed and done the job that day. I've made friends with many other "mean" dogs, usually to their owners' great surprise. But that day, I decided to play it safe. DeNiro seemed pretty insistent that I get out of his yard, so that's what I did.

I went back to finish the job on a day when the customer was home. With the customer around, DeNiro just stayed close by me while I ran the conduits and cables. When I moved, he moved. When I stopped, he stopped. His posture was watchful, but not threatening at all. We had quite a nice chat while I finished the job.

Rich
I make delivery's to homes for many years now. Do not act afraid and 98% of the time the dog will back down since I am 6'4" tall. I also carry treats with me and have coverted many dogs to like me.

One time a home owner owed us money and I went to the house to try to collect. They kept a big mean nasty dog outside to keep people away from the house. I walked right through the gate into the yard up to the house like I owned it. The dog did not know what to do and kept his distance. I looked through the door window when I knocked and the home owners eyes got real big and was surprised I was there knocking on their door. They did come to the door and then complained I broke their dog since he was trained to protect supposedly. I got a big kick out of that. Being tall does have it benefits. I usually wear gloves so if I have to have a wrestling match I am ready. In 35 years I have never been bit other than by a couple small "drop kick" dogs on the ankles.

The USPS carrier I went to school with, so he puts our packages on the back porch under a awning. The UPS driver does so most of the time also. I don't think I get much from fedex and when I do I find it on the front porch. I have lived there for 30 years now and 2 of my neighbors are retired and watch our home for us.

I don't think I have ever had to sign for a package from any of them. I am never home during the day, why do you have to sign?

Last edited:
Being in the home delivery business, my house numbers are well marked on both the house and mailbox, I have a wide concrete driveway they can use and my house is close to the street. I like to think mine is a easy delivery. We have friendly happy standard poodle and everyone is his friend.

2-3 weeks ago we got a small order of food delivered to our front porch on a 90° day that we did not order. We did not find it for a few hour later when my wife came home. Some of it was spoiled. It was sitting 6 feet away from our house numbers on the front of the house. We never did hear from anyone and eventually ate the food that was still good.

Last edited:
IMO Aircraft Spruce has the best shipping dept in all of America. I usually get stuff within 24-48 hours and always get a UPS tracking number in my email. They are fast and sure.

I must be blessed in some strange way. Fed Ex, UPS and others. I've use them all and have never lost a package, except perhaps the one that got delivered to my across the street neighbor. Sat on their porch forever before I realized what had happened.

Same here. UPS/Amazon/FedEx/USPS all seem to be pretty reliable. Sometimes it will have a 1-day delay on when it was supposed to arrive, but in general they are on time. Drivers are always nice when I happen to be there to receive the package in-person. USPS is awful when it comes to tracking a shipment in-transit, but I haven't had them lose a package. Most all of them try to put the packages under the soffit of the house if weather is bad, or hide smaller packages behind a potted plant or such on the porch. We haven't had any problems with porch pirates around here, but I certainly appreciate the effort.

I usually wear gloves so if I have to have a wrestling match I am ready. In 35 years I have never been bit other than by a couple small "drop kick" dogs on the ankles.

Yep. My dad was a letter carrier for USPS, he said the same thing. The large ferocious dogs were always a concern, but it was almost always the little ankle biters that did the damage.

I get it 100% that this is not the driver's issue, but what a stupid way to structure the company. If it says FedEx on it, anyone with a FedEx uniform should be able to handle it. Having delineations between capabilities that isn't apparent to customers is setting everyone up for failure.

It's not that way anymore. It changed about a year ago (maybe more). The packages never used to comingle between Express/Ground/etc., but now they do "cross streams" and you can find "Express" packages in the Ground system and vice versa.

The biggest problem FedEx is having right now is a labor shortage. In the Memphis hub we are bussing workers 2 hours from central Mississippi to Memphis and back in order to try and have enough workers to run the midnight sort. FedEx can't get enough workers in the Memphis area to come to work. For some reason, the Pacific NW is also a huge trouble spot. Portland, OR was specifically used as an example in the latest earnings call of where labor shortages are really impacting the service. FedEx is having to route packages to the PNW through other outstations in order to have some sort of service reliability in that region.

Coupled with the fact that FedEx has been running "peak" volumes for the last two years due to Covid, I'm really curious how this holiday season is going to go. My only hope is that we can be somewhat close to our competitors when it comes to OTD during peak.

Back