19 year old solo around the world

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
0C1A5470_500px.jpeg

Ran into this young woman today on the field. She is 19 and is flying solo around the world. There were 4 or more folks trying to help her out. I guess she ran into some strong turbulence. They were trying to figure out why her ailerons were not symmetrical. One is slightly higher than the other. Here is the link to her flight http://www.flyzolo.com/. Will keep you all posted as new info develops.

Was she worried her ailerons were out of rig? Hopefully she gets it sorted out before launching across the North Pacific.

Was she worried her ailerons were out of rig? Hopefully she gets it sorted out before launching across the North Pacific.
Yes, not sure how the ailerons are rigged in this plane. Sounds like its a torque tube set up but honestly I have no Idea
edit: I think they were worried something may have bent in the turbulence

I was wondering what happened as Anchorage is her next stop and today would have been a great day to make the hop along the coast. Hope she gets it figured out soon!

The wing is not big, and the ailerons look especially small, with most of the trailing edge devoted to flaps. I’d guess that large deflections of the ailerons are required.

I looked at the mfg website, and it says:

Composite wing with carbon-fibre main spar and an auxiliary spar carrying flap levers and aileron hinges has 60 % of the trailing edge occupied by powerful single-slotted flaps. Wings and horizontal tail can be quickly detached for transportation or storage.

Back