09J Jekyll Island (Georgia)

vfsit

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
vfsit
Flew down to Jekyll today just to get away from the stupid thunderstorm cycle around the Atlanta area that we have had for a week or so. Nice flight that included a KC-135 flying close to us on an approach to Robbins AFB (really cool when he reports seeing my LED landing lights from a long way out).

Landed at Jekyll, parked my bird and walked in the little FBO ready to rent one of their "Red Bug" souped up street legal golf carts to use for a few hours so my friend and I could explore the island. When I walk in the gentleman that was behind the counter (I think his name is Rich) was helping an older couple that was renting a 2 seat Red Bug. After he helped them through the process he turned his attention towards us. I was fully prepared to rent when he asked how long we were going to use it. I told him 3-4 hours and then jokingly asked if I got a coupon to their pizza restaurant if I was renting a Red Bug. He replied "No, but I hope you go there for lunch since I'm giving you the car for free"... WOOHOO win! and sure I'll go there for lunch. He gave us one of the 4 seaters and explained that we have to stay on the roads and not to go on the beach or cart paths, gave us a map, and got us on our way.

Quick report on the Red Bugs.... great little electric vehicles that have a range about 25-30 miles. (Jekyll is about 8 miles end to end) Max speed is 25 mph but the highest speed limit on the island is 35 mph to no a big deal. They ask that you plug it in if you are stopped for a decent time like lunch. Just make sure when you plug it in that it is charging ;) ohhh and when you don't make sure its charging and you get it down to about 25% power a little turtle starts flashing and max speed drops down to 19 then 17 then you're happy when the airport comes back into view. ...Not that I would know anything about that LOL

The island has been doing some "modernizing" as a new Westin hotel just opened within the last month with a shopping center at about 90% completion when we saw it today. Nice little water park that my son will love when I take him for a day trip this summer. Its just a nice little coastal island.

Once I was back at the airport I had a little longer talk to Rich. I asked if the complementary usage was more standard or just because they were slow today. He told me that they were really trying to attract more pilots and that although he could NOT guarantee a complementary Red Bug that he would make sure that any pilot had transportation available whether that be a Red Bug, access to a minivan, or if wanted brand new bicycles that he was supposed to take delivery this afternoon that he said were only going to be available to pilots and their passengers. If all that failed someone would drive you...

We also had a short talk about fuel. He said he had all the permit approvals but is trying to figure out how to install something without going broke doing it. He fully understands if he gets fuel he will have to beat Brunswick and St Simons Island right at him to have people stop. Possibly trying to be near the lowest cost around the area. He is even looking into the option to get a fuel truck just to be able to provide fuel. I really wish him well in this because I think it will give them the more business he is looking for.

After talking to him we blasted back off from the complete sunny skies to head back north back to the soggy weather. Landed back at Tara Field between rounds of storms with a nice drizzle. All in all a great day trip that exceeded my expectations.

Now that's a good deal. Might have to plan a stop next time I'm heading down the coast.

Nice pirep on Jekyll,always a nice stop for lunch,after stopping,I usually fly over to SSI for self serve fuel.

It's going to take some time to get that little strip up to a point to compete with SSI. Although, when SSI is packed with jets for some event, Jeckyll would be great alternative.

It's going to take some time to get that little strip up to a point to compete with SSI. Although, when SSI is packed with jets for some event, Jeckyll would be great alternative.
That might be true. But it's better than landing at SSI and renting a car to go to Jekyll.

Actually all he has to do is get fuel and do his best to match the lowest cost in the area (which currently is $0.85 cheaper than SSI or BQK) and that little strip will be a lot busier.

Actually all he has to do is get fuel and do his best to match the lowest cost in the area (which currently is $0.85 cheaper than SSI or BQK) and that little strip will be a lot busier.

I hope he doesn't. Jekyll is one of my favorite places to fly to. I went on July 4th last year and there were maybe 5 planes there. It was nice.

I hope he doesn't. Jekyll is one of my favorite places to fly to. I went on July 4th last year and there were maybe 5 planes there. It was nice.

The problem is that he says he isn't getting enough business... He said that they lost their Federal funding last year and he has been fighting to keep the airport from being closed and bulldozed. Said there was some time last year that a meeting was going to happen about the airport and he put out an SOS to pilots to fly in one Saturday promising to buy lunch. Supposedly had 55 airplanes fly in and out that day and was thankful.

I like 09J. Before kids, my wife and I made a couple of "I'm bored. Let's go get shrimp." trips down there. The whole island is definitely slower pace than other beaches, which is fine by me.

What do you fly out of 4A7? I have a RV-7A hangared there, but I will admit that I haven't been over there in several months due to biz travel. :(

What do you fly out of 4A7? I have a RV-7A hangared there, but I will admit that I haven't been over there in several months due to biz travel. :(

PA24-250 Comanche, keep it in one of the large corporate hangars (2nd one from the road across from the blue hangars).

PS... I can help make sure that RV7 doesn't just sit while you are away on business LOL

Andy

I really don't think he needs to worry about competing. If Jekyll Island had fuel, I think most folks who are landing there to visit would buy it even if it was a little higher than SSI. I know I sure would. It is a little annoying to load the family up at Jekyll in the summer only to fly a couple minutes to SSI for fuel and have to go through the process again.

I really don't think he needs to worry about competing. If Jekyll Island had fuel, I think most folks who are landing there to visit would buy it even if it was a little higher than SSI. I know I sure would. It is a little annoying to load the family up at Jekyll in the summer only to fly a couple minutes to SSI for fuel and have to go through the process again.
I suppose my opinion would change if I actually went in there for pleasure. I fly over it all the time going into SSI for work.

i love going to Jekyll. It is a perfect day trip in my plane, although sometimes we prefer to stay over a day or two. I think the 'Red Bugs' are so much fun. When we go, I always have to go back and swap out for a second one because we run down the first one. If you stay at the old Jekyll Island Club Hotel (my wife's preference) they will send a van to transport you to and from the airport. I wish they would get fuel there. I can make it round trip but would gladly fill up there to support them.

Already have room booked at Club Hotel for Aug 14 and 15. Sue and I enjoy it there as well. Pretty short flight from Covington and sure beats driving.

We are planning September 7th-12th. Trying to decide on a hotel.

That Westin that just opened looked pretty good. We didn't go inside but it is in a good location and connected to a brand new plaza with shops and a few restaurants opening up.

My wife and I may go down on one of our longer weekends this month.

We often pack a picnic lunch and fly up there just to walk around and enjoy the scenery. I would gladly buy fuel if they had it, even if it was a bit higher than SSI even though it's an easy round trip for us without buying fuel.

Side Story:
About 5 years ago my wife and I knocked off work early on a Thursday to fly up there for lunch. About 5 minutes away from home and at about 1,100 feet, we noticed our CHTs and Oil temps going through the roof and we had little power. We diverted to XFL. Then the engine started knocking very very loudly and then suddenly the big fan in front came to a screeching halt. We landed on Hwy 100 and had to be towed to the airport. When we were on the ground, we found we had plenty of oil, but it was all on the outside of the engine and the underside of the plane.

$36k later we got the plane back and our first flight was back to Jekyll.

We flew to SSI last weekend. Couldn't decide between Jekyll or St Simons. I figured the "cute shopping" would be a no brainer for my wife. We had a great time, but I'd like to try Jekyll at some point.

We are planning September 7th-12th. Trying to decide on a hotel.
Gary, we stayed at the Westin on Jekyll Island in the past week. (I think we talked about it on Facebook. :yes: ) Started out at another hotel and didn't like it. The staff at the Westin were VERY accommodating, the facility was wonderful, and we loved the food. We had an oceanfront balcony view and spent a lot of time on our balcony. We rented the chairs and umbrella on the beach in front of the Westin. Very few people on our section of beach.

We rented bikes and rode around the island and enjoyed the west side of the island as well. The bike trails were fun. :yes:

Gonna bump this to update fuel situation. Was there this weekend and 09J has 100LL, so looks like they figured it out. Price was 2 cents lower than SSI.

No shortage of traffic. Rockwell Commander type club was having a fly-in, with 25+ Commanders lined up. I had to park in the grass between the ramp and runway. There were probably close to 50 aircraft on the field on Saturday. RedBug was sold out of carts.

If you go, Cumberland Island is a great aerial tour. Watch for the Dungeness ruins, wild horses, and the tiny church where JFK Jr had his wedding.

The Commander group had a great turnout. My bride and I came home from Jekyll this morning. We stayed at Jekyll Island Club where our group activities were held. We did travel around a good bit via a two seat red bug. Im thinking if we stayed again we would go the Ocean Club Resort next to the Westin.

Last edited:
The wife and I love it there. Hope to get there again this year... The RedBugs are a hoot to get around in.

Had fun flying into Jekyll Island with kids. Some gnarly crosswinds during landing..Kids had fun riding in the redbug and beach. Flew back to Atlanta the same evening.

Our Jekyll Island adventure with the Commander Owners Group. What a great bunch, we had a blast. Ten hours of flying, over an hour of IMC, I did a flying video presentation, and learned more about my commander thanks to the seminars I attended. My blog post also contains video of flights to and from 09J.

Miles- 1084
New Airport 09J- Jekyll Island
Flight time 10.3
IMC 1.3

http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2021...ly-in.html?m=1

I've been to Jekyll several times. Never flying, although every time I'm there I think it would be a nice flying destination. Sadly the only time I've ever been on the runway there was to park a car...actually my motorhome. A couple years ago we were there for their annual Christmas thing....at least I think it's annual. I dug up my old pics...it was November 24 2017 I was there. I think it might run basically from Thanksgiving through New Years.... anyway I was thinking that it was such a shame they closed the runway and turned it into a parking lot! ( I have no idea if it's closed that whole time, or if they even still do that...)

Had fun flying into Jekyll Island with kids. Some gnarly crosswinds during landing..Kids had fun riding in the redbug and beach. Flew back to Atlanta the same evening.

Don't know how old your kids are, but bikes are great on both Jekyll and St Simons. My youngest loves the beach. We used to fly down for the day, walk over to Monkeywrench Bikes (St Simons), then bike around; the beach, the pier for lunch/putt-putt/checking out the lighthouse. I've also brought bikes with us on a trip to Jekyll with the middle daughter. That time the hotel picked us up, and we biked around all weekend until time to leave and the hotel brought us back over to the airport; we had some luggage and gear as I was doing the Turtle Crawl triathlon that weekend.

I believe the max speed limit on Jekyll is 25 mph, so biking on the road is not a big deal, if your kids are old enough for that.

Our Jekyll Island adventure with the Commander Owners Group. What a great bunch, we had a blast. Ten hours of flying, over an hour of IMC, I did a flying video presentation, and learned more about my commander thanks to the seminars I attended. My blog post also contains video of flights to and from 09J.

Miles- 1084
New Airport 09J- Jekyll Island
Flight time 10.3
IMC 1.3

http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2021...ly-in.html?m=1

Enjoyed reading about the adventure on your blog and the videos! I was there with a friend in his Commander. He won the COG Choice award in the 112 category. Great weekend!

Don't know how old your kids are, but bikes are great on both Jekyll and St Simons. My youngest loves the beach. We used to fly down for the day, walk over to Monkeywrench Bikes (St Simons), then bike around; the beach, the pier for lunch/putt-putt/checking out the lighthouse. I've also brought bikes with us on a trip to Jekyll with the middle daughter. That time the hotel picked us up, and we biked around all weekend until time to leave and the hotel brought us back over to the airport; we had some luggage and gear as I was doing the Turtle Crawl triathlon that weekend.

I believe the max speed limit on Jekyll is 25 mph, so biking on the road is not a big deal, if your kids are old enough for that.
Thanks, they are 2 and 6! Will definitely plan next time!

Enjoyed reading about the adventure on your blog and the videos! I was there with a friend in his Commander. He won the COG Choice award in the 112 category. Great weekend!

I wish we would have met. I don’t remember who won the COG choice for the 112’s. I think Bill from KMQS won for the 114. Did either of you attend my Saturday morning presentation?

We usually land at SSI. Jeckyl is nice from what I hear, but I've been told there is not a lot to do.

We usually land at SSI. Jeckyl is nice from what I hear, but I've been told there is not a lot to do.

And to a lot of people, that’s the beauty of it. I love how all of the islands, from Hilton Head down to Amelia, all have their own and very different personalities. My family enjoys visiting all of them.

I wish we would have met. I don’t remember who won the COG choice for the 112’s. I think Bill from KMQS won for the 114. Did either of you attend my Saturday morning presentation?

We were parked just to the right of the gate entrance. There was a beautifully painted 1973 model 112 next to us. Red bug was out of vehicles and we were not at the resort hotel. Got sidelined on Saturday morning and didn't get there in time. :(

We often pack a picnic lunch and fly up there just to walk around and enjoy the scenery. I would gladly buy fuel if they had it, even if it was a bit higher than SSI even though it's an easy round trip for us without buying fuel.

Side Story:
About 5 years ago my wife and I knocked off work early on a Thursday to fly up there for lunch. About 5 minutes away from home and at about 1,100 feet, we noticed our CHTs and Oil temps going through the roof and we had little power. We diverted to XFL. Then the engine started knocking very very loudly and then suddenly the big fan in front came to a screeching halt. We landed on Hwy 100 and had to be towed to the airport. When we were on the ground, we found we had plenty of oil, but it was all on the outside of the engine and the underside of the plane.

$36k later we got the plane back and our first flight was back to Jekyll.
That's quite a story. Glad the highway landing worked out for you. Just out of curiosity what caused the oil leak and why did it cost $36k to repair? Did you have to replace or totally rebuild the engine?

I was there almost a year ago, the state park and strip mall area leading to the beach was great, got fuel at the airport.

Once I was back at the airport I had a little longer talk to Rich. I asked if the complementary usage was more standard or just because they were slow today. He told me that they were really trying to attract more pilots and that although he could NOT guarantee a complementary Red Bug that he would make sure that any pilot had transportation available whether that be a Red Bug, access to a minivan, or if wanted brand new bicycles that he was supposed to take delivery this afternoon that he said were only going to be available to pilots and their passengers. If all that failed someone would drive you...
s.
One of my favorite posts this week. I constantly am looking for long weekend trips to convince my wife the airplane is a tremendous asset and smart :) purchase.

My question, being a relatively new pilot. How do you typically navigate all for the MOA going down the coast? we would be flying from KHGR so probably head toward the coast south of Norfolk area and take that scenic route.

Last edited:
One of my favorite posts this week. I constantly am looking for long weekend trips to convince my wife the airplane is a tremendous asset and smart :) purchase.

My question, being a relatively new pilot. How do you typically navigate all for the MOA going down the coast? we would be flying from KHGR so probably head toward the coast south of Norfolk area and take that scenic route.
Just ask ATC if the MOAs are hot. Usually, they are not. If they are, then just fly around them. If you are IFR, they will route you around them.

Back