[NA] Semi-auto shotguns

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I need direction on purchasing one.
I have minimal firearm experience.
I have a decent collection of pistols which I shoot a couple of times a year, and borrowed a 20ga slide last year for this mission;
Skunk mitigation in yard (they tear the living crap out of it despite electric fence, other aversion tactics). I can usually get within 100’ of the target.
Texas laws.

Friend says 12ga is overkill and will hurt the shoulder. So, 20ga?

i find that I am not my usual 20:15 at 3:00am so I need multiple discharges to complete the task. 4 rounds might not be adequate - don’t some have a “plug that can be removed” to increase chamber capacity? How to tell if they do, and what the new capacity is?

https://www.guns.com/used-guns/certified-used/all

Shooting a 12 gauge is no big deal. You do have to put the butt plate of the shotgun firmly on your shoulder. Why not go to one of the trap ranges and rent a 12 gauge and try it.

Shooting a 12 gauge is no big deal. You do have to put the butt plate of the shotgun firmly on your shoulder. Why not go to one of the trap ranges and rent a 12 gauge and try it.
Are you pushing the 12ga because you think it will be more functional for my purpose?

I am really close to getting one of these, for no good reason, other than "Effing Cool!"

I think an economical pump action. 12 gauge is fine, recoil isn't an issue. Semi auto probably is overkill.

Do you plan on missing the first four times?

Just like your handguns the recoil will depend on what you're feeding it. Those saying the 12 gauge is no big deal are probably shooting trap/skeet rounds.

I've got some 3-1/2" #4 rounds meant for coyotes and the recoil is, uh, abusive. Every time the gun goes off you think something malfunctioned in a very bad way. It hurts. The expression is "it kills on one end and cripples on the other".

Gas operated automatic shotguns generally have less recoil than a pump.

A 12ga will often kick less than a 20ga if you’re shooting the same load in each, since the 12 is heavier. Kick is all about the load. If you think a 20ga will be adequate (it is), just use a similar load (shot weight and dram equivalent) in the 12. But don’t use a light load for skunks.

For dispatching skunks at night, I suggest a “tactical” shotgun designed for home defense. Benelli makes a nice one as do several other manufacturers. This style of shotgun has an extended magazine (6 or more rounds), a shorter barrel for easier maneuverability, and a mount for things like a flashlight.

At 30yds, I would probably use a heavy load, something like a magnum load of 4 shot, and a full choke. You want a skunk instantly dead, not wounded and spraying you and the yard, and it’s not like you care about tearing up the meat or pelt.

So, you're probably going to hate this answer, but I think I'd put a red dot on a 22 target pistol, and use that. 100' isn't too far for that, and it would give you an excuse to get some shooting practice in.

If you're all set on a shotgun, I'd go 12 gauge, 1100 or 11-87, and 2-3/4" shells. I'm not a shotgun shooter either, on a couple of times, but know that the Remingtons are reliable and point well. As Half Fast and others point out, light loads in a 12 are probably less felt recoil the equivalent loads in a 20. And in my mind there's no reason for 3+" 12, unless you're hunting geese or something else high flying and large. It's a good point that you don't want to wound it, but I think that's WAY more likely to happen from poor shot placement than lack of power from the round.

Final thought....re-reading my last note and thinking about the miss problem, if you have a lot of land, maybe go .223 at keep a nice healthy 100+ yard distance from you. 22 rifle would probably be fine for that, too, at 100.

I’m going to give you a weird recommendation but this is my go-to varmint gun.

5456693F-3970-4B97-85D7-DEADB77EE18A.jpeg

6fb10fcd-ffa2-4256-bab2-ecb34791fb47-jpeg.100412

IIRC it's a Sears brand made by Mossberg. It's a 20gauge bolt action(yes bolt action) shotgun with a full choke and rifle-style rear sights.

The reason I like this is it's light and the action is so simple that very little can go wrong with it- it almost never jams and if it does it's incredibly easy to clear. If you need more than the 3 shots(2 in magazine + chamber) it holds you can can carry shells in your pocket and load them single shot style. The full choke and rear sight gives you considerably better effective range than a typical shotgun.

I do not like semi-auto shotguns personally. You've got 3 or maybe 5 shells with the plug removed, with the recoil you'll have to re-center your target anyway, and all that mechanism adds weight/complexity and a chance at jamming. 20 gauge with #6 shot or maybe even #8 is going to be more than enough to take down a skunk.

I'm not sure what the intended use of these bolt action shotguns was but if you look around a few used gun stores you'll likely find one and they tend to be very cheap because it's not really something most people are looking for. I really think they're underrated.... I have several much nicer shotguns and rifles in my safe but this one is still the go-to for varmints. It never fails me.

Attachments

• 6FB10FCD-FFA2-4256-BAB2-ECB34791FB47.jpeg
    6FB10FCD-FFA2-4256-BAB2-ECB34791FB47.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 248
Unless you buy one of the extended magazine tactical shotguns, semi-autos and pump action have similar capacity, usually about 5 with the plug removed. The plug is because hunting some game limits you a capacity of 3. For 100’ or greater, you need a pretty good load. I would go with 12ga if I were you -- more shot. Browning makes an excellent semi-auto. You may be able to hire an animal control firm for less dollars.

Last edited:
a Remington 12 gauge 11-87 or 1100 with the plug removed shooting 2 3/4 loads # 6 will give you five rounds of pest control that a 120 pound woman could handle…cheaper to buy and feed than a 20 gauge but if you run across a 20 gauge, that will work as well…older chambered for 2 3/4 loads (1100’s) would be the best value for both gauges…

Semi-auto may be softer shooting if you are worried about recoil.

They make softer shooting shells as well.

Pick a brand, any brand. I like Rem 1187s

:) A bolt action shotgun is nice. I've never liked the pump action, either in shotgun or 22. I don't know why, it's a personal thing. They seem "rattley", clumsy, like a gallery toy at a fair.

Semi-Auto - go Bennelli M2 or M4

I suppose someone recommended the 20 gauge semi-auto for reduced recoil? If you don't like 12 GA kick, you can add a recoil pad to the butt of the shotgun to help absorb the shock (works quite well.) Or you can adjust the load. Going with shot won't be as stout as slugs.

Personally, a have a Mossberg 500 and a KelTec KSG. I like the Mossy, but love the KSG. If pump action is OK, I'd recommend the Mossberg or the Remington as suggested above.

Do you plan on missing the first four times?

Ok I thought I explained this.
In the middle of the night, I am not a good shot.
It has something to do with blurry vision at 2am, please don't tell my AME.
I should put a lamp on the gun too because it is damn hard to hold a flashlite on the buggers (it's pitch black outside at 2am here)

So, yeah I will take a shot that I don't have completely pegged and once I miss, it takes too long to pump or slide a new cartridge, the bastard is gone! They are wily, and they learn. It got to where they would scatter upon hearing me rack the slide which I do as quietly as possible!

So a semiauto is a requirement of this search.

With a typical varmnit load shell I don’t think OP will notice a huge difference in recoil between 12 and 20 gauge.

I also think OP’s chances of hitting a moving target at night after a missed first shot in the span of time it will take to re-orient the sights on target are poor. I have good eyes, good night vision, and shooting experience and I doubt I could do it.

Might be fun to try, just don’t put any holes in your garage/shed/car/etc :D

Probably people are thinking that if you miss the first shot, while the target isn't moving, the chances of making the second short, with the target moving, are approaching zero. But you'll figure that part out on your own. Sometimes woodchucks sit around waiting for you to take a second shot, but I wouldn't bet on a skunk doing that. For skunks, I'd look for traps or bait, but that's just me.

:) A bolt action shotgun is nice. I've never liked the pump action, either in shotgun or 22. I don't know why, it's a personal thing. They seem "rattley", clumsy, like a gallery toy at a fair.

I live in a county that used to be 'shotgun only' for white tail. I have a 12Ga rifled Browning A-Bolt with a scope. With a 3in saboted slug it is quite accurate out to 150yards, but that statment of 'kills at one end, maims at the other' is quite accurate.
Of course, the mysterian forces that write hunting regulations now decided that an straight-wall rifle cartridge is good to go, so now you can use an AR in '350 Legend' or a 45-70 lever action and the 'rifled shotgun' is just a curiosity.

I us to shoot a Remington 1100 12 gauge as a teen. No problem with recoil shooting 100 rounds a day at trap. I always hunted with my 870 20 gauge because the gun was much lighter. Big difference carrying a 12 gauge vs 20 gauge all day in the field

The people that write regulations like that are hilarious. As if someone on the receiving end would say "oh yeah, that's just 30-30, no need to be alarmed, it's not like it's a .308". I think they read too many magazines.

That reminds me. What is your backstop for those 5+ rounds to put down an up-armored skunk ?

(I would probably get a gas operated tactical 12Ga for that job. Put a red dot on it and sight it in for your skunk distance)

The people that write regulations like that are hilarious. As if someone on the receiving end would say "oh yeah, that's just 30-30, no need to be alarmed, it's not like it's a .308". I think they read too many magazines.

Well, there is some logic to the shotgun restriction. Even a saboted slug will start dropping rapidly after 200 yards. There is less of a chance that you are going to kill someone a mile down the road as you could with a .308 or 300WM (which tragically did happen locally).
Now, oddly enough, for coyote or Fox, necked rifle cartridges are a-ok. I guess as there is no season, people don't sit on top of each other like they do during firearms deer season.

The shotgun restriction I understand. It's the straight vs bottleneck rifle cartridge I find baffling. Maybe in flat country it may make some sense, but here it's hilly. You miss something on the crest of a hill, firing uphill, and that round is going to travel a long way.

Don't spend the money on the semi auto, they cost a fair amount more than a pump. And within a box of shells you will find a pump is plenty quick.

12/20 ga is the only options and for shooting skunks it really doesn't matter. If you are going to use it well into old age get the 20ga, if you are younger and going to use it for other things use the 12ga. More important than the gauge selection is the shells. You don't need or want buckshot to shoot at varmints, and your shoulder will thank you. Hold it firmly against the shoulder, regardless of the gauge.

For small animals? A 20ga is plenty and semi-autos aren’t crazy expensive. Go to your local gun store and try one on. Fit is way more important than brand.

I prefer pump action.

For small animals? A 20ga is plenty and semi-autos aren’t crazy expensive. Go to your local gun store and try one on. Fit is way more important than brand.

I prefer pump action.

I meant a reliable Semi Auto Shotgun, vs a reliable pump :) You can find very cheap examples of each, if that is the goal and I'd pick the pump everytime.

I use to shoot skunks and porcupines all the time with a 410 Easy to shoot and carry although ammo may be harder to find, not sure. It is my favorite shotgun to shoot and I have several

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger 10-22 with a cheap red dot and Surefire TLR-1 on a barrel band mount. Hollow points in a BX-25 magazine cause you can never have too much ammo. Taken plenty of varmints with this setup and follow up shots at running varmints haven’t been a problem with the “recoil” of 22cal and a red dot.
The skunk will probably still stink or release in my experience but maybe a shotgun blast might have a different effect???

Put out a live trap. After you’ve had some coffee and breakfast the varmint will be waiting for dispatch. No need to be running around at 2am in your underwear blindly shooting a shotgun.

If you can't see well enough to hit it with a shotgun, consider placing Claymores. It's the same principal, so you'd probably be OK.

With limited firearm experience I would get a Pump shotgun not a semi. 12 gauge is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, yeah I will take a shot that I don't have completely pegged and once I miss, it takes too long to pump or slide a new cartridge, the bastard is gone! They are wily, and they learn. It got to where they would scatter upon hearing me rack the slide which I do as quietly as possible!

So a semiauto is a requirement of this search.
Sounds like an 11-87 remington would work well for you. It's a great reliable semi-auto, and has a safety. If you are having trouble with aim, I would recommend adding a scope to the shotgun. They make scopes designed for shotguns - don't try mounting a regular scope. An 11-87 with a scope would make it damn near impossible to miss.

If you shoot a semi-auto "wrong" (like not firmly holding it into your shoulder), it becomes a single shot. If your experience is limited, I'd stick with a pump shotgun. Either 12 or 20 should work for skunks...and the recoil difference isn't extreme.

Yup. Nobody likes shotgun recoil when you don’t have the shotgun properly buried in the pocket

but, as someone previously suggested, trapping is probably the better approach

If you use the proper pesticide you will get rid of the grubs in your yard the skunks are attracted to.

Back