Boost Oxygen

Aviators breathing oxygen is dry, medical oxygen may have some moisture in it. That came about many years ago with the first high altitude flights. The oxygen could freeze and then the pilot would not get any and pass out.

Very interesting and a factor for sure. Why would it freeze in a warm cockpit?

Very interesting and a factor for sure. Why would it freeze in a warm cockpit?
Because it’s not in the cockpit of every airplane…installed bottles are often in unheated areas of the fuselage.

but if you read the other threads on oxygen systems, you’ll note that there is no longer any difference between the oxygen in the bottles for different uses. The medical folks add moisture in the line to the mask.

I keep a bottle in the plane and use it when below 10,000' and use my regular oxygen system higher than 10,000

I think the bottle works just as intended - if I get to 89 or lower on my pulse oximeter a quick "blast" from the bottle gets me right back up to 97. You have to use it as instructed - a quick blast through your mouth and hold it in your lungs as long as you can before exhaling.

You have to allow time for your lungs to absorb it.

There is NO difference between almost all readily available oxygen in the US right now.
There is no physical difference between "welder's" and "medical" oxygen.
There are several places this can be verified.
I was at our gas shop and the tech showed me all the oxygen bottles, "medical", welding etc and he then showed me how they are all filled from the exact same supply.

I have used "welder's" in my 2 aircraft for years. I use the same bottle, at work, on animals - typically 15-30 surgeries per day.

There is NO difference between almost all readily available oxygen in the US right now.
There is no physical difference between "welder's" and "medical" oxygen.
There are several places this can be verified.
I was at our gas shop and the tech showed me all the oxygen bottles, "medical", welding etc and he then showed me how they are all filled from the exact same supply.

I have used "welder's" in my 2 aircraft for years. I use the same bottle, at work, on animals - typically 15-30 surgeries per day.
Duff_lite_%26_dry.png

There is an old, unofficial FAA article still around that continues to spread this misinformation.

Today I learned something!

Not if you take as correct what you quoted. I can't recall the number of times people have stated that welding, medical and aviator's oxygen are different based on information that might have been true 50 years ago but is now considered old wives tales. Oxygen today comes from the same bulk oxygen supply and manufacturing process. The only difference is the price you pay for the paper trail. Medical oxygen has the same amount of moisture, none, as the others. Hospitals add moisture at the point of delivery to the patient. If there was a difference in purity, professional welders would be the ones insisting on the highest purity, but there is no difference today.

I have been around lots of oxygen tanks used for welding and cutting ... nearly always outdoors and often at -30 degrees ... never heard of oxygen "freezing up" ... not saying it doesn't happen , just never heard of it.

We were always scrupulous not to get any oil on fittings or hoses or regulators because oil and oxygen combined can self ignite

I don't think inhaling oxygen out of my welding tank would be very good. Medical O² is much cleaner than welding gas.
The actual contents are identical in every respect. The cleanliness of the tank itself may be slightly different, but they fill medical and industrial tanks from the same source where I get my tanks filled.

Today I learned something!
Aviators breathing oxygen is dry, medical oxygen may have some moisture in it. That came about many years ago with the first high altitude flights. The oxygen could freeze and then the pilot would not get any and pass out.

Neither has moisture in it. Any moisture in a medical setting is added at through a humidifier at the point of use. Moisture in any of these tanks (industrial or medical) would cause corrosion.

If there was a case of a pure oxygen tank freezing up, it would not have been because of any moisture in the tank.

But, as the ad proclaims, it's All Natural Oxygen! For Wellness! And it is Free from Simulants and Additives like Caffeine and Sugars!!

It is clearly better than all those other oxygen products on the market, with their caffeine and sugars. And it's only $28 for 20 liters! That is just under 3/4 of a cubic foot at sea level. Typical air consumption for an adult male, at rest, at sea level is about 0.5 cubic feet per minute, but hey--you can't put a price on Wellness!

Apparently, you can put a price on Wellness. :rolleyes:

You can make an oxy set up for a few hundred dollars using a medical regulator. If you use the welding type oxy top.JPG connection could even refill at a welding shop with a simple homemade adaptor.

Back