Aera 660 hardwired to GTN650/GTX345

Ryan F.

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan Ferguson 1974
Finally got my Aera 660 wired up to my airplane. Photos and captions at this link:

https://imgur.com/a/X50ppI9

Pretty happy with it. Inexpensive and highly functional MFD installation which really enhances the SPIFR experience in my airplane.

I agree. I have a 796. I think its the most underated piece of equipment out there. So much bang for the buck when connected to a GDL 50 and a com radio. always readable, never overheats. battery back up, software is common to other garmin products

My 660 is fantastic. My favorite, primary and cheapest instrument in the aircraft.
PXL_20210320_185119911.jpg

I agree. I have a 796. I think its the most underated piece of equipment out there. So much bang for the buck when connected to a GDL 50 and a com radio. always readable, never overheats. battery back up, software is common to other garmin products
What do you do with it that is beyond an I Pad running Fore Flight? Will it mirror what you input into a GTN 650, and vice versa?

Last edited:
I have a 496 which supports XM but doing database updates is becoming impossible as I don’t have an older Windows machine, only Macs. Is there a way to get XM on the Aera 660?

Can you control a GTN or second radio with the Aera?

What fits in that dock between the GI275 and the aera underneath the compass correction card?
Custom 3D printed CO detector mount. My design... I keep meaning to do the work to put these on the market but other things get in the way. I have about 50 of them sitting in the house.PXL_20210103_215620623.jpg

So I see then no, you cannot control a radio nor GTN.

My 660 is fantastic. My favorite, primary and cheapest instrument in the aircraft.

It really is an impressive little piece of gear, especially wired up to external sources.

I've only flown with it twice but I find myself interacting with it a lot for weather and moving map display. Intuitive and easy. I like that my GTN650 works more like an FMS, not needing to be on the map page while flying.

What do you do with it that is beyond an I Pad running Fore Flight? Will it mirror what you input into a GTN 650, and vice versa?
It should presumably be more reliable and robust than an app running on a general-purpose tablet (iOS or Android), because Garmin has full control of the hardware, OS, and software, so it doesn't have to deal with a muddle of different hardware, OS releases, and other apps. No "my bluetooth is a little tricky" or "I have to put a fan behind to keep it from overheating" etc. etc.

I haven't bought an Aera 660 yet, personally, because I still want to keep the option open of not having to pay a subscription for my EFB data, if FltPlan Go finally ends up supporting Connext weather and traffic in the Android version. But I see the attraction of an appliance that just works, instead of fussing with a tablet.

I like the sun light readable. I can't tell from the description if it can pull up current approach charts.

Seems like it would be a good addition to see traffic, but you'd still have to look at a GTN to see your "magenta line" showing visually where your hold is, etc.

It's a shame it can't mirror things and act as a second monitor with touch screen control functionality.

I like the sun light readable. I can't tell from the description if it can pull up current approach charts.

Seems like it would be a good addition to see traffic, but you'd still have to look at a GTN to see your "magenta line" showing visually where your hold is, etc.
Yes it has approach charts, but you can’t load approaches into the flight plan. IIRC, it just shows the FAF. Garmin’s Pilot is now much more capable especially for IFR. They haven’t updated the firmware since 2019.
Traffic and weather, and it will show magenta lines and share flight plans if you have a Flightstream, so no wired connection.
It’s databases update is slow compared to Garmin Pilot on iDevices.
And if panel mounted, keep it in the left stack, it’s too small to be over on the right.

582999c2240aedf8634e090343e91915.jpg

For my application, the Aera 660 is purely being used as an installed MFD. Definitely wouldn't be a viable Foreflight or Garmin Pilot replacement -- an iPad running either of those two apps is far more capable than any of the Garmin portables.

The form factor of the Aera 660 and its ability to hardwire connect to the GTX345 and GTN650 is what makes it valuable as an MFD. Very sleek implementation.

The screen is too small to be used for approach charts in my opinion. It's not bad for VFR sectional, low level IFR enroute, etc. though.

Back