ACF-50 seepage/weepage and hangar

Narwhal

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
?
Hello,

I have a corrosion treatment scheduled next week for a '59 C182B next week. I don't think the factory treated these planes back then and our IA said it would be a good idea. Anyhow, they're using ACF-50. The shop doing the work said it's going to have fluid seeping out of its joints for a few weeks.

Does anyone know if it's OK to keep it in a hangar with a concrete floor during this time? Can the seepage be easily cleaned off the floor or should I put some plastic down or something?

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if it's OK to keep it in a hangar with a concrete floor during this time? Can the seepage be easily cleaned off the floor or should I put some plastic down or something?
Yes and yes on clean easy. If they apply the ACF50 as per OEM recommendations there will be minimal "seepage/leakage" but that always seem to be subjective to the person applying the preventative.

Dust and spiderwebs will be attracted to that stuff and before you know it it’ll be sticky gunk that’ll discolor every seam through your paint. I’ll never do it again.

The 310 had been treated yearly. It did continue to seep, but it was never a problem on the floor. I agree with your mechanic it’s a good idea.

I treated mine in my hangar a few years ago using a Harbor Freight engine cleaning wand. You can finely adjust the tip for just a fine mist. I did one wing at a time and placed a plastic drop cloth under the wing for a few weeks. I did not see any evidence of leaks. One of the secrets on this is spraying very lightly. The mfg of ACF-50 will tell you the same.

I agree with the others. Just finished my 2nd application. 1st application was 5 years ago. This time we did a much more thorough job. Removed ALL interior. Then lightly sponged the inside walls and ceiling. Sprayed wings, tail, aft fuselage, and under floor panels. Wish we had done a better job during the 1st application! Doing the same to our other airplane during it’s annual this winter.
I had some dripping, but not much. It didn’t seem to hurt anything in the hanger. I probably won’t have noticed . My hanger is total piece of junk!

I heard ACF was thicker, it was corrosion X that seeped everywhere, and ACF was more like soft wax, less seepage?

I heard ACF was thicker, it was corrosion X that seeped everywhere, and ACF was more like soft wax, less seepage?
FYI: it all depends if you follow the OEM recommended application process regardless the product. The only corrosion preventative compounds (CPC) that do not "seep or leak" are the LPS3/Hardcoat or similar products. But it takes 20x the amount of that product to achieve a similar protection with the obvious negative issues. A number of commercial operators have switched from ACF50 to Corr-X for various reasons but mainly for better protection and easier application. While there will always be some seepage, following the OEM process keeps it at a very manageable limit.

Unless Narwhal’s Alaskan 182 was dipped in water? It shouldn’t need corrosion treatment.

If fluid seeps, an excessive amount was used.
Spray very lightly.
I have treated my airplane a few times and have never had a drop afterwards.

Back