using Foreflight in a Garmin plane?

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
How well does foreflight play with a garmin panel?
Do you still need to get a Stratus device to get all the foreflight features?

I've not been flying in a while. When I flew last I played around using Garmin Pilot on a tablet. I just didn't care for it. Nothing particular that I can put my finger on at the moment, just the interface overall I suppose.
I was in rental aircraft and never utilized any interface with the panel, and never got one of Garmin's portable ADSB devices...just used the tablet computer's onboard GPS.
Just daydreaming now, but seems like everyone on youtube anyway uses foreflight...and a lot of folks here.

ForeFlight works great with my GDL39.

I have a GNX 375, and it plays very nicely with Foreflight. It puts an indicator right on the map in Foreflight based on the GNX's data. It also puts ADSB weather and traffic right on the map in Foreflight. Flight plans automatically populate from one to the other. Nothing was needed to add the feature. It comes with that functionality right out of the box. Other Garmin devices I think require some kind of an add on (Garmin Flight Stream, I think ForeFlight - Connect with Garmin Flight Stream ). But for the 375, nothing is needed.

Last edited:
All works very well, only things you can't do are database updates to GTN navigators (Requires Pilot) or firmware updates to portable ADS-B products (GDL39/50/51/52). But you can do firmware updates, at least, with the free/unregistered version of Pilot.

Works most excellent with this Garmin panel

50CBC692-26AF-4290-9609-089CDDC442F5.jpeg

Via Bluetooth connection to the G3, we can transfer FF flight plans from the tablet to the GTN.

I have Garmin 345 transponder, Avidyne 540, they work great with Foreflight.

How well does foreflight play with a garmin panel?
Do you still need to get a Stratus device to get all the foreflight features?

I've not been flying in a while. When I flew last I played around using Garmin Pilot on a tablet. I just didn't care for it. Nothing particular that I can put my finger on at the moment, just the interface overall I suppose.
I was in rental aircraft and never utilized any interface with the panel, and never got one of Garmin's portable ADSB devices...just used the tablet computer's onboard GPS.
Just daydreaming now, but seems like everyone on youtube anyway uses foreflight...and a lot of folks here.

I have a GPS175 that connects with Foreflight on my iPad using Bluetooth. Foreflight gets position from the GPS175 and I can load flight plans from Foreflight to the GPS175 (coolest part!) with the touch of a button. I also have an NGT9000 (ADS-B) that connects simultaneously to Foreflight with wifi. Foreflight uses the most accurate position from the two and I get TIS and FIS on Foreflight. I really like the set up, but the Garmin won't display TIS/FIS from the NGT-9000. It's OK thought because I get that on my Aspen and the NGT-9000 has a display of it's own.

Really like how you centered the glass over the yoke.

How much to install all of that? $70k?

Really like how you centered the glass over the yoke.

How much to install all of that? $70k?
So do I. Old stuff was slightly left of center.

And other new items are well placed for a natural reach.

Good guess…. All in right about that.

Hello
I have a GNX 375 installed in my PA 28 Archer. I can share flight plans between the 375 and foreflight, but I do not see traffic. The traffic switch in foreflight goes away and the option does not exist. Am i missing something?

Great point Gary - I missed that. Connecting via Bluetooth should give you ADSB In traffic and weather on F Flight. Do you see traffic on the 375 screen?

- Was curious so did some digging. See this Garmin service bulletin. Might be a software issue? https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=1Edr597phH2d3DDBCPUhb7

Last edited:
The only complaint I have with FF and a Garmin panel is that Garmin requires a subscription to Garmin Pilot to use the DB concierge for updates. Not a fan of that policy.
I need to pay for the DB subscription, and subscription to Garmin pilot - and the only thing I use it for is DB updates.

The only complaint I have with FF and a Garmin panel is that Garmin requires a subscription to Garmin Pilot to use the DB concierge for updates. Not a fan of that policy.
I need to pay for the DB subscription, and subscription to Garmin pilot - and the only thing I use it for is DB updates.

Same here. If my FS 510 takes a dump I will likely perform updates via a card reader and toss the GP subscription. Thus far it has worked well.

Garmin Pilot records enormous amount of parameters emitted by various Garmin avionics devices. For example, the G3X Touch/GFC 500/GTN combo emits around ~50 parameters every second. These data are only available via Garmin Pilot and FlightStream and uploaded to the Garmin web site automatically, unless one manually downloads the data via MicroSD card and then uploads to Garmin’s web site for post analysis, which is inconvenient. ForeFlight does not have access to these data. Overtime that will become more important and I see ForeFlight’s role increasingly degraded with Garmin only avionics stacks.

“AirSync” solves this issue nicely though.

I use FF when I ride along with my friend who has a GTN750..it syncs up nicely.

I use FF with my GTN-650Xi and GTX-345. Works fine.

Only interesting thing is, FIS-B weather that shows as Yellow on the 650 (and on my 760 now) only shows as darker green on FF.

I get the traffic on the 375. When i create the flightplan in FF, it transfers to the 375. If I make a change, like add a waypoint, FF asks me if i want to update the FF plan, so I know that they communicate. I just do not get the traffic on FF

Forgive a stupid question. On the option page where you select what to show on the map, did you select “Traffic”?

That is the problem. When i begin to taxi, the traffic option in the layers goes away. When I have the ipad connected to wifi, i see the traffic

Congrats! I’m completely stumped. Might have to call ForeFlight.

Heck - try reinstalling ForeFlight

I love it when i come up with the hard questions. I think a rei stall is in order :)

Back