[NA] As pilots, what are we switching to as we move away from cargo shorts and New Balance?

Just get a murse. You won't miss the pockets.

man-purse_o_486233.jpg

Jeans, beer logo T-shirt, aviation related ball cap, and Merril Mocasins. After 22 years active duty, I must have a uniform of some sort. So, this is it!

I LOVE my Denali travel pants from Sam's Club. At $12.98, they are the right price, but still allow you to look like you belong in something more expensive than what you actually fly. On top of that, they are INCREDIBLY comfortable. I bought them originally for travel outside the US (South America and Africa hiking through the bush) but now I wear them all the time! (That's what I'm wearing in my profile picture along with a <$10 polo also from Sam's)

Those as long johns UNDER running pants, sure. As primary pants, just say no.[1]

[1] Rant: The feminization of men continues...

Over / Under for number of months before those become standard travel attire on Spirit?

I got a couple from Sams club called weatherproof or something. Liked em, went back to get some more... they were gone!

That's the thing about Sams/Costco, if you see something you like, you need to pull the trigger now. Come back later and it's gone, and usually gone for good.

I see an opportunity. LuLaRoePilot -- MLM leggings for men with aviation designs. I'll be the first distributor, so anyone who wants to sign up in my downline, do it fast (the top of the pyramid makes the most money). By this time next year we'll all have Bonanzas!

ATC Memes already beat you to it:

241715915_4050010821775711_5812736615746153980_n.jpg

ATC Memes already beat you to it:
But those aren't sold via a pyramid scheme with me at the top. Don't you want to have all the money you need without working? Don't you deserve to own a Cirrus or two? All you have to do is sell my overpriced mens leggings to all your social media contacts and I (oops, we) will become rich. Don't forget to sign up all your friends and family as distributors too!

Last edited:
But those aren't sold via a pyramid scheme with me at the top. Don't you want to have all the money you need without working? Don't you deserve to own a Cirrus or two? All you have to do is sell my overpriced mens leggings to all your social media contract and I (oops, we) will become rich. Don't forget to sign up all your friends and family as distributors too!

It's so crazy, it might just work!

But those aren't sold via a pyramid scheme with me at the top. All you have to do is sell my overpriced mens leggings...

I like ATC Memes marketing model better, simply because they focus on women's leggings. Which appear to be painted directly onto the wearer.

I had to give up cargo shorts because the pockets caught on everything while sitting at my desk.

I now have some Wrangler shorts with only a zippered pocket on one side and a phone pocket on the left side. Very comfy.

I don't even know what brand my shoes are. I wear boots every day.

What about regular frickin' shorts? I mean, it's not that hard. I mean, just like a pair of pants. Two pockets front, two back. Done!

My summer casual uniform: T-shirt, regulars shorts, and Tevas or Birks.

How's this for size: I'm a right leaning person who carries a gun yet wears Birks and gets into a Subaru.

*BOOM* Mind blown...
"Regular frickin' shorts" are cargo shorts.

I like ATC Memes marketing model better, simply because they focus on women's leggings. Which appear to be painted directly onto the wearer.

What, and you couldn't do that for men? You missed the "meggings" at the top of the page?

Just as a point of order, cargo shorts and New Balance themselves are not necessarily out of style...it is specifically white New Balance sneakers and kaki/cotton baggy pocket cargo shorts that emboldens the middle aged white Dad please drop me off a block from school out of touch with fashion look.

I have gone to more of a Under Armor/Sport/Golf cargo type shorts with flat pockets and solid grey or more earth tone colors on the shoes avoiding the gym shoes look.

You are missing the fact that WE ARE THE FRIGGIN PILOTS we set the standards! If we wear cargo shorts then cargo shorts are cool.

Step up your confidence game here boys. There are pilots and then there is everyone else.

I am not wearing some soyboy man bun shorts and dock shoes because someone told me my tried and true cargo shorts are out of style. I am the pilot in command of my shorts.

I am the pilot in command of my shorts.

FAA Hazardous Attitudes...

Macho: Pilots who are always trying to prove that they are “Taking chances (MA) better than anyone else are thinking, "I can do it – is foolish.” “I can do it. I'll show them." Pilots with this type of attitude will try to prove themselves by taking risks in order to impress others.

Do cargo shorts REALLY impress others?...Someone need a Biennial Fashion Review...

FAA Hazardous Attitudes...

Macho: Pilots who are always trying to prove that they are “Taking chances (MA) better than anyone else are thinking, "I can do it – is foolish.” “I can do it. I'll show them." Pilots with this type of attitude will try to prove themselves by taking risks in order to impress others.

Do cargo shorts REALLY impress others?...Someone need a Biennial Fashion Review...

Cargo shorts are a fashion RISK I am willing to take. I can see the 709 ride now it's these shorts or no shorts FAA guy your call.:happydance:

I only own cargo shorts and I am frequently told that that shouldn't be a thing anymore.
I own New Balance running shoes and Sandals.

Oshkosh was a sea of middle aged men in cargo shorts.

What are the current alternatives? I mean shorts need lots of pockets these days.
Are we going back to Jorts or something?
I don't know man, I've been wearing jeans and vans shoes for as long as I can remember.

Last edited:
+1 cargo shorts. Functional and adaptive. My wife jokes they are my man purse. And I don’t care that they are not fashion forward.

Dude…do you realize how many of us were wearing our NB and cargos at Oshkosh? Bout half the field was dressed in the fashion statement. Lol. ;)

I only own cargo shorts and I am frequently told that that shouldn't be a thing anymore.

What are the current alternatives? I mean shorts need lots of pockets these days.
This is the new standard for pilots, now. No need to waste time checking, because I'm 100% trustworthy. Go ahead and order one, and you can impress everyone by debuting it at the next big fly in.
61ZvtwEeNQL._AC_UX342_.jpg

This is the new standard for pilots, now. No need to waste time checking, because I'm 100% trustworthy. Go ahead and order one, and you can impress everyone by debuting it at the next big fly in.
61ZvtwEeNQL._AC_UX342_.jpg
What’s old is new again. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to provide adequate support for my belly, so I’ll have to pass.

Last edited:

I feel a video coming on....

Back