what causes the noises that bleed into the headset

You probably could fix that by cleaning the right ground connection(s). So, basically, it's one of the wire connections or metal to metal connections on the airplane. You're welcome, I'll take my finders fee now.

I am going to clean the grounds tomorrow and I bought an alternator filter that I am going to find out if I can install or if my A&P has to do it.
Hopefully I can do it. Its 1 screw. Either way I am doing my first owner assisted annual so it should be fine.

You probably could fix that by cleaning the right ground connection(s). So, basically, it's one of the wire connections or metal to metal connections on the airplane. You're welcome, I'll take my finders fee now.

I think a "finders fee" is proper but you should be a bit more specific as to which connection to clean ... ;)

I am going to clean the grounds tomorrow and I bought an alternator filter that I am going to find out if I can install or if my A&P has to do it.
Hopefully I can do it. Its 1 screw. Either way I am doing my first owner assisted annual so it should be fine.
I might be dating myself and alienating myself from some but does anyone remember driving a car with points? A condeser (yes autocorrect didn't have it in the dictionary) that is failing on a points based ignition system will give feedback. Grounding straps that are broken or corroded will do the same.

I think a "finders fee" is proper but you should be a bit more specific as to which connection to clean ... ;)

And deprive him of the hunt?

Ok, fine it's going to be one of the ones that isn't connected to the + side of a circuit.

So I noticed some of the headset jacks are missing the fiber washer and rubber spacer. so metal on metal.
Where might one source these locally?

I see them on aviation websites but surely these exist at a brick and mortar store?

Radio Shack …. Oh wait

the local true value should have something you can use. I have better luck there than the big box stores.

So I noticed some of the headset jacks are missing the fiber washer and rubber spacer. so metal on metal.

I see them on aviation websites but surely these exist at a brick and mortar store?
Good luck with that. Might not even find them in a really good electronics store, which are few now anyway, since so few folks actually build or fix anything anymore.

An avionics shop will have them.

I might be dating myself and alienating myself from some but does anyone remember driving a car with points? A condeser (yes autocorrect didn't have it in the dictionary) that is failing on a points based ignition system will give feedback. Grounding straps that are broken or corroded will do the same.
Noisy points ignition will cause a low-frequency buzz or a bunch of crackling. The alternator whine is a distinct sine-wave howl, at a much higher frequency than ignition noise. If the condenser in a magneto goes bad, the spark get weak or dies, and hard starting is the usual result.

I see them on aviation websites but surely these exist at a brick and mortar
store?

Ok, if you have the jacks removed from the panel so they no longer can create a ground loop, go ahead and plug your headset up and see if the noise has gone away. If not, then that is not your problem.

I actually think that might have had a little to do with Radio Shack's downfall.... they actually stopped carrying a lot of those little things. Towards the end they didn't have much stock of little pieces and parts....switches, connectors, and the like. Instead they moved focus to compete with stores like Circuit City or Best Buy

Ok, if you have the jacks removed from the panel so they no longer can create a ground loop, go ahead and plug your headset up and see if the noise has gone away. If not, then that is not your problem.
Got to take all of them out, even those in the back seat, if there is one, and the handheld mike jack, too.

Other than amazon, maybe try to bring some of the intact ones to a hardware store and ask the old guy who seems to know everything if they have anything that looks like that. I imagine you could cut the fiber out of a lot of things like maybe gasket sheets(auto parts store) and rubber washers are a thing, just have to find one the right size.

I actually think that might have had a little to do with Radio Shack's downfall.... they actually stopped carrying a lot of those little things. Towards the end they didn't have much stock of little pieces and parts....switches, connectors, and the like. Instead they moved focus to compete with stores like Circuit City or Best Buy
I gave up on Radio Shack a long time ago. It's just a toy store now. Our society has changed a lot. People don't have hobbies like amateur radio or electronics. They don't have hobbies like metalworking and machining either. A few do some woodworking. Of all the people I know, only two besides myself have a metalworking lathe, and one of them is my son. He and I are the only two people I know who have built wooden boats. Even the EA-B world is almost all kitplanes; very few build an aircraft from raw materials and a set of blueprints. A kitplane is more like paint-by-numbers than real homebuilding.

Other than amazon, maybe try to bring some of the intact ones to a hardware store and ask the old guy who seems to know everything if they have anything that looks like that. I imagine you could cut the fiber out of a lot of things like maybe gasket sheets(auto parts store) and rubber washers are a thing, just have to find one the right size.
The insulator is a stepped fiber washer. You won't find it. It's like that to prevent the side of the jack's thread from contacting the hole edge. That hole has to be drilled larger to accommodate the step.

upload_2021-9-23_18-57-36.jpeg

I had the same issue with my strobes. I switched to AERO LEDs and it mostly went away, but not completely. When I switched recently to Bose A20s I got rid of the rest of the strobe noise.

I don't have an electrical system in the Vagabond, but every time I use a power pack to recharge my phone, handheld radio or action camera while in flight, the electrical noise renders the radio almost useless.

Ruled out the alternator.
Just did annual and cleaned up sow wiring around the alternator and installed the alternator filter.

Also did the obvious step of turning the master on while the engine wasn't running and there was that whining.
So having ruled out the alternator, what is the next step?

Test out the spark plug wire harness. Make sure there are good p lead grounds and contact.

does the whining get recorded when you do videos? Is it a high pitch sound that changes with RPM? Or more of a static “pulse” that changes with RPM?

I seem to remember the auxi audio jack(music input) being an area of concern on some new installations....read it on here I think.

I think your headset is just too good. If you had a crappy headset like mine, you'd hear so much engine noise you'd never notice these 'fine' noises. Does it get louder when you land? If so, did you check in back and see if it could be your kids screaming in fear? Anyway, back to serious answers now, I should leave the funny to you I think. I suck at it. :)

I thought it was a turbine STC.

Ruled out the alternator.
Just did annual and cleaned up sow wiring around the alternator and installed the alternator filter.

Also did the obvious step of turning the master on while the engine wasn't running and there was that whining.
So having ruled out the alternator, what is the next step?
Turn coordinator filter shot or disconnected? Strobe powerpack? Is everything turned off that can be turned off, with the master on?

Back