[NA] As pilots, what are we switching to as we move away from cargo shorts and New Balance?

I used to wear almost nothing but Puma, but they lost me several years ago on shoe designs. I went to Asics and find them every bit as good, similar fit. I still look at Pumas when it comes time to buy shoes, but Asics seems to be winning at the moment, especially their Gel-Quantum lineup.
Didn't that get cold!?! Were you flying a 140?

They will have to pry my cargo shorts off my cold, dead body. Way more comfortable to hold my wallet in a cargo pocket (and whatever other items my wife makes me hold) when we're doing outdoor events. The grey/blue nylon versions don't seem to have the stigma that khaki baggy cargo shorts do.

View attachment 100354

If wearing cargo shorts is wrong, I don't want to be right.

That's a good point generally when I fly my accessories are only
  • Cellphone
  • Wallet
  • car keys
  • plane keys
However at something like OSH
I tend to ... wait nevermind. I wore a backpack.

Yeah, I almost never use those additional pockets.

So what am I switching to?
You're in Texas and that's ALL you've got in your pockets? Hmmm.

Every pilot on every layover except I need a phone holster. Prepping for when I upgrade:lol:

OUQXLxq.jpg

Dude, THAT is an awesome shirt!

I love Delta.

Only time I ever got into cargo shorts was when I was doing a lot of ferry pilot work. It really helped having extra pockets for battery packs and other stuff you might need quick access to in flight.

Never thought of cargo shorts as a fashion statement.

I'm fashion challenged. My sister bought me matching shorts and shirt one time in college and said that was the first time I had a matching outfit since I outgrew garanimals. I replied, "What? My clothes always match. My shorts are comfortable and my shirts are comfortable. They're both comfortable, so they are matching." :D

Yeah, I'll never be on the cover of GQ. :oops: Does that still exist?

There’s always ranger panties
7a541a5729bef3cfd3bb43ea16beeed3.jpg

..... Never thought of cargo shorts as a fashion statement.

ah em....it's an "anti-fashion" statement

I started wearing cargo shorts after having back problems from the wallet in my back pocket. I've trended away from them though now that I've reduced the amount of stuff in my wallet and started using one of those minimalist ones I can carry in a "normal" front pocket....

I buy cheap shorts wherever. I won't claim to know their style or who makes them.

Whatevs...just don't expect me to give up my tank top and mullett.

Without cargo shorts (and cargo pants in cooler weather), I wouldn’t have enough room for my 9mm, my .32acp backup, my extra mags, my tactical folder, and my pepper spray, not to mention the usual junk like wallet, keys, pocket knife, cell phone, money clip, etc.

But what underwear should you wear under? Something life changing..

At this moment, I happen to be wearing a pair of hybrid boardshorts.

P019720911_LRG.14012020010558.jpg

The reason I'm wearing them is that when 5 PM rolls around, I'm going to Fred Flintstone it out of here and go for a sunset waverunner ride.

If you're really concerned about the lack of style for cargo shorts, these would be an option. They do have nice zippered pockets and dry quickly, so they're practical. The first pair I got were as a Father's Day gift and were a little spendy. The second pair came from Costco and were like 18 bucks.

At this moment, I happen to be wearing a pair of hybrid boardshorts.

P019720911_LRG.14012020010558.jpg

The reason I'm wearing them is that when 5 PM rolls around, I'm going to Fred Flintstone it out of here and go for a sunset waverunner ride.

If you're really concerned about the lack of style for cargo shorts, these would be an option. They do have nice zippered pockets and dry quickly, so they're practical. The first pair I got were as a Father's Day gift and were a little spendy. The second pair came from Costco and were like 18 bucks.
Hybrid shorts are awesome. I basically only have hybrid shorts and workout shorts. They’re really comfortable and they stretch so I don’t have to worry about gaining weight:D

I only own cargo shorts and I am frequently told that that shouldn't be a thing anymore.
I'm frequently told a lot of things. I rarely bother to listen.

Giving a man a guitar does not turn that man into a guitar player. The man to actually play guitar in order to earn that distinction and until then, he is still just a man. Putting pockets on a shorts does not turn those shorts into cargo shorts. They have to actually carry cargo in order to earn that distinction and until then, they are still just shorts.

Back