[NA] As pilots, what are we switching to as we move away from cargo shorts and New Balance?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I only own cargo shorts and I am frequently told that that shouldn't be a thing anymore.
I own New Balance running shoes and Sandals.

Oshkosh was a sea of middle aged men in cargo shorts.

What are the current alternatives? I mean shorts need lots of pockets these days.
Are we going back to Jorts or something?

You only need two pockets. I'm amazed that shorts and pants weren't manufactured with only one pocket prior to the cell phone days.

That's a good point generally when I fly my accessories are only
  • Cellphone
  • Wallet
  • car keys
  • plane keys
However at something like OSH
I tend to ... wait nevermind. I wore a backpack.

Yeah, I almost never use those additional pockets.

So what am I switching to?

Every pilot on every layover except I need a phone holster. Prepping for when I upgrade:lol:

OUQXLxq.jpg

They will have to pry my cargo shorts off my cold, dead body. Way more comfortable to hold my wallet in a cargo pocket (and whatever other items my wife makes me hold) when we're doing outdoor events. The grey/blue nylon versions don't seem to have the stigma that khaki baggy cargo shorts do.

upload_2021-9-23_10-40-39.png

Cut off skinny jeans is what’s hot right now.

Why ruin a good thing? Next stop, pulled up black dress socks.
<looking down at legs> Hey, now!! What's wrong with that?! :confused::cool:

You need to complete that outfit with black compression socks that go up to your knees...:lol:
That's the new fashion craze. All the cool kids are doing it. Got 'em on now.

Last edited:
They will have to pry my cargo shorts off my cold, dead body. Way more comfortable to hold my wallet in a cargo pocket (and whatever other items my wife makes me hold) when we're doing outdoor events. The grey/blue nylon versions don't seem to have the stigma that khaki baggy cargo shorts do.

View attachment 100354
When did Members Only start making shorts?

Are you just trying to conform? Maybe you should look into lederhosen. Martin probably has a hook up for those.

They say men only have two hairstyle changes in their lifetime. I extend that to clothing style changes. I've already had my two changes for both. I'm done.

I only own cargo shorts and I am frequently told that that shouldn't be a thing anymore.
I own New Balance running shoes and Sandals.

Oshkosh was a sea of middle aged men in cargo shorts.

What are the current alternatives? I mean shorts need lots of pockets these days.
Are we going back to Jorts or something?

I've no New Balance shoes at the moment, but that's not by design (no Nike, that's by design). The current sneakers just happen to be from LA Gear, Saucon, and Browning. Teva sandals--you just can't kill them.
Shorts are a mix of cargo and non-cargo, and I don't expect that to change.

I don't own any guns (I am one of them) but I can't dress like the guy on the right.
I think I have to just go the jeans route.

I think that's a girl on the right. either way, shaved legs. cargo shorts all day!!!

Cargo shorts forever! (I need to be able to haul a load in my shorts.)

Xero Shoes for sandals, dress shoes, & in between.

Cargo shorts and Nikes or Puma is all I ever wear. I'll never be dressed as the girl on the right. Do we need to talk about the shirt in both pictures? What's with the tucked in front out in the back look? The girl on the right looks like the type who'd call triple A for a flat tire. But then again, they both do.

Last edited:
What about regular frickin' shorts? I mean, it's not that hard. I mean, just like a pair of pants. Two pockets front, two back. Done!

My summer casual uniform: T-shirt, regulars shorts, and Tevas or Birks.

How's this for size: I'm a right leaning person who carries a gun yet wears Birks and gets into a Subaru.

*BOOM* Mind blown...

This can't be the alternative.
Dude on the right looks like he walked off the set of friends.
Are we really going to ankle socks too? I thought those were for women.
#ImOld

View attachment 100352

I've gone to the shorts on the right, after being told a couple years ago that the pockets, especially the baggy ones are out. I have found shorts that look like the ones on the right with a flat, inconspicuous pocket on the right leg. Those sneak by, not blow back from the young 'uns.

Socks you can see have been out longer than pocket pants, although they may be swing back in style now. Welcome to being older, style trends blow right by you.

well I'll be damned......I didn't even know this was a thing.......

upload_2021-9-23_11-57-35.png
I just thought there were "slacker" shorts, like cargo and other "I don't care how they look or how dirty they get' kind of shorts, "dress" or golf shorts, and gym shorts. if it wasn't for golf being golf, I'd prob wear cargo shorts on the course.

Cargo shorts and Nikes or Puma is all I ever wear. I'll never be dressed as the girl on the right. Do we need to talk about the shirt in both pictures? What's with the tucked in front out in the back look? The girl on the right looks like the type who'd call triple A for a flat tire. But then again, they both do.

I used to wear almost nothing but Puma, but they lost me several years ago on shoe designs. I went to Asics and find them every bit as good, similar fit. I still look at Pumas when it comes time to buy shoes, but Asics seems to be winning at the moment, especially their Gel-Quantum lineup.

If you’re over 30, it’s likely that your legs are so unattractive that any shorts are equally bad. Might as well keep wearing cargos.

Teva, NB…including 2 pairs of golf shoes.
I tried Pumas a year ago, they didn’t hold up well.
No Nike, including clothes.

View attachment 100354

But the elastic waistband! That screams old man shorts. ;-)

Other than that they do look better.

Hair style, short and then bald.

Shorts, whatever is on sale at Sierra Trading Post and shoes, whatever’s on sale at Puma or Addidas outlet store.

BTW, NEVER let the lady or ladies in your life pick out ANY clothes for you. That WILL NOT turn out well.

Cheers

Back