Because it's Illegal

Yes, same deal, the GT was still pulling well when the computer pulled the plug. I assume it's due to some combination of aerodynamics, suspension, and possibly tire speed ratings.

I'm sure it's mostly manufacturer liability concerns, but there are likely other components like driveshafts that may need attention when running 180mph. Little vibrations become big vibrations pretty quickly.

Exceed the posted speed limit.

Oh, wait...

Actually, in California, and I suspect a few other states, you can legally exceed a posted speed limit....

Drumroll....

CVC 22350, the basic speed law, makes no reference to a posted limit. You can exceed a posted limit in a Prima Facia speed zone, and not break the law. And it works both ways. You can be under the posted limit, and still be found to have exceeded a safe speed.

CVC 22349(a) covers the exceedence of a maximum speed, in a posted maximum speed zone, usually found on freeways and some highways. So, 56 in a posted maximum 55 zone violates 22349(a). 22350 may or may not be violated.

Actually, in California, and I suspect a few other states, you can legally exceed a posted speed limit....

Drumroll....

CVC 22350, the basic speed law, makes no reference to a posted limit. You can exceed a posted limit in a Prima Facia speed zone, and not break the law. And it works both ways. You can be under the posted limit, and still be found to have exceeded a safe speed.

CVC 22349(a) covers the exceedence of a maximum speed, in a posted maximum speed zone, usually found on freeways and some highways. So, 56 in a posted maximum 55 zone violates 22349(a). 22350 may or may not be violated.

upload_2021-9-23_10-17-37.png

Yes, same deal, the GT was still pulling well when the computer pulled the plug. I assume it's due to some combination of aerodynamics, suspension, and possibly tire speed ratings.

Often it is tire speed ratings, but sometimes also other things like prop-shaft bending modes that get excited by small imbalances and halfshaft angles that cause excessive heat/ballooning of the CV joint boots due to aerodynamic downforce. Just two of the stranger reasons that I have seen that begat lower than planned electronically limited top speeds on cars.

Not pay my taxes....I could retire in two years

Bike? Bake in the day 1998 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird, 177 indicated.
How ironic, 03 Blackbird 178 mph speedo healer verified. Car? Back in the early 80s my buddy had a Pantera with a 427 CJ and tall gears. Speedometer went to 180. I buried that and then some. Another friend of mine owns an NHRA top fueler and is currently in the series. He won’t let me drive it. I told him I’d give him my left nut. No dice :(

I prefer to think of laws, especially traffic laws as guidelines.

This is why I taught my Daughter values instead of rules. It is harder to do but you end up with a better person.

Too funny, you sound like my dad. :)

Anyway, someday I might just put a full 75 lbs. in the baggage compartment instead of the 69.8 lbs. that is permissible with a full fuel tank.

I'm just happy that I got to fly under a certain nearby twin bridge a dozen or so times before ADSB was a thing, said a friend of mine.

All I'll say is that I'm glad my younger years were spent in a world where everybody didn't have a camera and 24/7 connectivity...

I have always wanted to tear the tag off of my mattress...

I knew some engineering students who pulled a prank ..... instead of removing the tag they blacked it out with a marker pen and then sent a picture of it to the regulators

Back