Diagnosed for Anxiety but denied coverage

• Thread starter NeedMedicalHelp1234
  • Start date
N

NeedMedicalHelp1234

During covid I went to a psychologist and was diagnosed with general anxiety. The doctor proscribed me Zoloft but I didn’t feel comfortable with taking that so I never picked it up. I felt my anxiety isn’t bad enough to need to take that. The gym did wonders for me. I also notified them but never heard back.

Will this be an issue when going for my medical?

During covid I went to a psychologist and was diagnosed with general anxiety. The doctor proscribed me Zoloft but I didn’t feel comfortable with taking that so I never picked it up. I felt my anxiety isn’t bad enough to need to take that. The gym did wonders for me. I also notified them but never heard back.

There is a chance it can be because you have a diagnosis on your record.

Search back through this forum for threads that discuss “situational” anxiety and depression diagnoses. That should enlighten you as to how to proceed

So you blew off the doctors orders and stopped going. Yes this will be a problem as there is no recorded resolution. As far as the FAA is concerned, you still have general anxiety and are refusing the perscribed treatment.

So you blew off the doctors orders and stopped going. Yes this will be a problem as there is no recorded resolution. As far as the FAA is concerned, you still have general anxiety and are refusing the perscribed treatment.

I agree. I’m not an AME and this is just my opinion:

It might be best to go back to that same doctor, tell him you never picked up the prescription (true) and that you are doing much better now (true). Hopefully he will write all that down… or rather, type it into his laptop while not looking at you, as they do it these days. The FAA is going to want all the records and they’ll want the treating physician’s statement that it was temporary, situational, and now resolved, which he can’t give if you never went back and told him.

Of course if you have any history of any other psychological issue that’s a whole other matter.

I also recommend scheduling a consult with the AME before filling out the MedExpress application.

In the real world if you don’t need the doctor anymore, you don’t need to go back. But in the FAA world of medical certification all the i’s must be dotted and t’s crossed.

Psychologists can’t prescribe. They are just for talking. So you mean psychiatrist??
I get that. Totally is the way it will be perceived. Just in the real world i can see a guy going to get some info and talk it out. Seeing a psych can be a bit overwhelmingly. You agree to a course of med. you get home and face the reality that you really don’t need or want to go that route. But now from FAA standpoint u are porked. Just tough.

We need doctors anonymous we can get medical treatment our name will be listed as "Guest"

Psychologists can’t prescribe. They are just for talking. So you mean psychiatrist??
Not yet. The APA is working on changing that. A psychologist friend went through all the pharmaceutical coursework required by the proposed prescriptive authority rules in anticipation of being able to do so.

Frankly, I'd feel a whole lot better about a shrink prescribing than some random GP who suggests "try this and see if you feel better."

Not yet. The APA is working on changing that. A psychologist friend went through all the pharmaceutical coursework required by the proposed prescriptive authority rules in anticipation of being able to do so.

Frankly, I'd feel a whole lot better about a shrink prescribing than some random GP who suggests "try this and see if you feel better."

Not correct. Some states do allow limited prescribing for psychologists (PhD, not MD).
Jon

That is correct. Here’s a good article about it:

https://www.apaservices.org/practice/good-practice/prescriptive-authority.pdf

Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
New Mexico
Louisiana

Also the Public Health Service, Indian Health Service, U.S. Military and U.S Territory of Guam

That was written in 2017, to my knowledge no other states have been added but a couple (NM and IL) have expanded the options for training and supervision making it easier for psychologists to do so, and other states have legislation in the pipes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back