I did a powered parachute ride and it was awesome.

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
This was far more fun than I had imagined.

My wife got me a gift cert almost a year ago but work and weather never aligned. This week they did and it was really awesome.

Sort of like flying a plane, I didn't mind flying lower but once we got up ~2000k, I had to really focus on not thinking about getting hit by a plane or one of those dental floss lines snapping.

I am seriously considering adding this to my list of hobbies.

Whose done it?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

"Foot Cam"

5.jpg

This might actually be more fun than flying planes but zero utility and completely impractical for anything other than just a rush.

This was far more fun than I had imagined.

My wife got me a gift cert almost a year ago but work and weather never aligned. This week they did and it was really awesome.

Sort of like flying a plane, I didn't mind flying lower but once we got up ~2000k, I had to really focus on not thinking about getting hit by a plane or one of those dental floss lines snapping.

I am seriously considering adding this to my list of hobbies.

Whose done it?

View attachment 100340

View attachment 100341

View attachment 100342

View attachment 100343

"Foot Cam"

View attachment 100344
You da man. That was a high wing parachute. Welcome to the dark side:)

Powered parachute (PPC) or powered paraglider (PPG, paramotor)? They look similar but are very different. The pix you posted are of foot launch PPGs, which are light and agile, and near the most fun you can have in the sky, especially if you have a few friends to buzz around with. PPCs are larger, much less maneuverable, and (IMO) much less interesting.

Nice! I haven't done it but have SERIOUSLY considered it. Can't find anyplace convenient near me to do some training. The place that Tucker Gott is always talking about has a satellite location I could get to on weekends but they only do training in continuous blocks....like 2-3 weeks straight. I have a job with old school vacation and desk hours...and a family, can't do that!

I've gotta say.... for just local area fun, the most fun I had flying was in the little old Aeronca Champ....it just felt right low, slow, with the window open, and simple. This PPG thing looks way funner than even the old Champ!

I suppose with the fan there is less change of a collapse, so I guess its good!

I'd kinda be interested, but shiznit, I don't have time for all of the hobbies I have now lol.

I actually would probably own one if my wife would let me. She doesn’t like them at all, I think they look like a blast.

It’s funny what a woman who flew helicopters off shore in icing down to 300 ft on an NDB approach considers unsafe. :rofl:

There was another poster here who got into that quite a few years ago. Met him, I think during one of the WV do's. I recall his videos. In one he nearly ran into a car. I suppose its Ok if you really like flying in the early morning and toward dusk on nice days during the summer (here).

I actually would probably own one if my wife would let me. She doesn’t like them at all, I think they look like a blast.

It’s funny what a woman who flew helicopters off shore in icing down to 300 ft on an NDB approach considers unsafe. :rofl:

Increase your life insurance. She’ll buy you one. :devil:

Reactions: Ted
Before I became a pilot, I took a PP ride at a fly-in back in 2003, and it was wayyy cool! I was on the verge of ordering one, one day away from writing a check, and I happened to run into a local pilot/CFI who talked me out of it, told me to put that money towards actual flight training. I came to my senses and did just that. The feller selling the PP was understandably disappointed.

Powered parachute (PPC) or powered paraglider (PPG, paramotor)? They look similar but are very different. The pix you posted are of foot launch PPGs, which are light and agile, and near the most fun you can have in the sky, especially if you have a few friends to buzz around with. PPCs are larger, much less maneuverable, and (IMO) much less interesting.

This was PPG then. I have done both.
This was the other that I think you were describing.

PICT_20160213_164810.JPG

My brother and I decided to add PPC Sport privileges a few years bac, and I was going to add it to my instructor privileges. We did some ground school, I got a dual flight, and soloed.

turns out it’s a really good thing it only takes one hand (throttle) to fly it, as the other hand was occupied with hanging on for dear life. One of those situations where my fear of heirs kicked into overdrive.

Ok first. Yes I am sold!

Second, did you see the one where he flew that thing up to 15000 feet?
Holy Crap no!

15,000 (15k) too low for you? After all, you were at 2000k (378 miles!!)

These do look like fun.

Sort of like flying a plane, I didn't mind flying lower but once we got up ~2000k,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There’s a guy who flys one of those from the park across the street from our house. I was in the garage and heard the engine and caught him as he rose over the houses.

A502580F-D600-49A1-8D75-294441CD8500.jpeg 833DB00B-18CA-48AE-80D3-FFF4029FF715.jpeg A2491A60-39A5-43D6-BB1C-39B0D8F785A4.jpeg

Worked with a guy who had one. He had a lot of problems with the landing gear and was always waiting for it to heal before he could fly again.

This might actually be more fun than flying planes but zero utility and completely impractical for anything other than just a rush.

The is exactly what they are! They are like a jet ski in the sky and the cheapest form of aviation let alone and motorized hobbies once you buy the gear. Burns about a gallon an hour, virtually no Mx that will cost anything, can store in your garage or shed, and can transport on a cargo hitch carrier on almost any car. You get into them to just zip around for fun.

The biggest limitation is flying conditions. For most it is two hours after sunrise and two hours before sunset and even then the conditions have to be just right...plus you need access to a suitable landing and launch site.

I have a Scout parmamotor but have not actually flown in a while as where I am we did not have any good launch sites and I need to travel at least an hour if not 2-3 for a good site...and trying to do that for a morning launch gets tiresome.

I cant recommend it enough but make sure you consult with a trainer or those with experience to understand the actual limitations before you make the investment of time and money.

Here is just a quick edit of a trip where we tried to summit Mt Shasta over two days and two attempts...that was a freakin blast...except when my engine cut out over 150' redwood trees!

Last edited:
Back