Hip Replacement

Pirep. My surgeon told me day #3 would be the worst and he was right. Pain pills were the order of the day. The 4th day was much better and day 5 is better yet. My doc wants me to use a walker for at least 7 days and I think that’s reasonable. I hope to be walking with a cane this weekend. Pain and stability are still better than before and improve every day. The biggest inconvenience is sponge bathing for 2 weeks. The surgical dressing stays on until the stitches come out and it can’t get wet. I can handle it. The procedure room was seriously high tech with the robotic arm and special procedure table. My left hip got replaced but I also have an incision and dressing on the right, apparently from anchoring the robot. The procedure was 3D mapped with CT scans so the robot needed a reference point. Very interesting technology. I’m guilty of underestimating the post-surgical impact on life. It’s labeled minimally invasive but it’s still major surgery. Now to focus on regaining strength and endurance. It’s shocking how quickly we lose those things.

Pirep. My surgeon told me day #3 would be the worst and he was right. Pain pills were the order of the day. The 4th day was much better and day 5 is better yet. My doc wants me to use a walker for at least 7 days and I think that’s reasonable. I hope to be walking with a cane this weekend. Pain and stability are still better than before and improve every day. The biggest inconvenience is sponge bathing for 2 weeks. The surgical dressing stays on until the stitches come out and it can’t get wet. I can handle it. The procedure room was seriously high tech with the robotic arm and special procedure table. My left hip got replaced but I also have an incision and dressing on the right, apparently from anchoring the robot. The procedure was 3D mapped with CT scans so the robot needed a reference point. Very interesting technology. I’m guilty of underestimating the post-surgical impact on life. It’s labeled minimally invasive but it’s still major surgery. Now to focus on regaining strength and endurance. It’s shocking how quickly we lose those things.

Wow, thanks for the report. I think we all underestimate such things. You take little things for granted until suddenly they become difficult or impossible. That technology sounds much better than the hip replacement video I saw many years ago of the old school method which was so brutal I swore I’d never do it no matter how bad my hip got. Now I will definitely consider it. Glad you are trending in the right direction.

Be aware that if you are on a pre Obama Care insurance policy $500 co pays don't count towards your out of pocket max. Added an extra $1000 to my out of pocket cost.

Good information regarding all these posts. One "heads up" that some don't see. I work in the health field and Obamacare/Medicare does not have any exclusions in writing, **BUT** if you're over 75 with no secondary, you can COUNT on being denied any of the big surgeries (heart bypass, knee or hip replacement).

My left hip got replaced but I also have an incision and dressing on the right, apparently from anchoring the robot. The procedure was 3D mapped with CT scans so the robot needed a reference point. Very interesting technology. I’m guilty of underestimating the post-surgical impact on life. It’s labeled minimally invasive but it’s still major surgery. Now to focus on regaining strength and endurance. It’s shocking how quickly we lose those things.
Back in the old days they would just make an open incision and do it manually. Then they started using a real time x-ray called fluoroscopy to guide manual repair through smaller incisions. Fluoroscopy exposes everyone in the room to a good amount of radiation. One way to get away from that and to move to computer guided or assisted more precise repairs was to move to what is referred to as stealth technology. With stealth, they take a CT to 3d map, then in the OR they place a fixed mount into the bone being worked on. The mount has a small grouping of 3 balls that may be seen with a computer "eye". Then they do a 3d fluoroscopy scan with the mount/balls in place. The computer interpolates the CT and the fluoroscopy image. Surgical instruments then also have a series of 3 balls which the computer can see in relation to the fixed 3 balls. By seeing the relative positions, the computer can aid where the instrument works. A large side benefit is no need to do repetitive fluoroscopy intraop thereby reducing radiation exposure to everyone in the room.

Hang in there and do your PT.

As a side note, we've been wanting to come up your direction on vacation for a couple years now but seems like everything is still on lockdown up there. Even if not really locked down... when hurdles are placed in the way of free travel, we're not going.

Lockdown? Not around here. Maybe they’re still testing at the big airport for visitors but everything’s wide open once here.

Lockdown? Not around here. Maybe they’re still testing at the big airport for visitors but everything’s wide open once here.
Yes, mandatory testing is what I was referring to along with Canada's move to block cruises with 100+ passengers in their waters.

Three week pirep. The first 11 days were miserable. I weaned off Oxy after 5 days and Tylenol wasn’t very effective. At day 11 my Doc took me off blood thinners and that opened the door to taking Ibuprofen, AKA my wonder drug. Immediate improvement. Now at 23 days I can walk without a cane although I still carry one most of the time. Rotate a few degrees and I’m reminded that I recently had major surgery. I’m walking 2 miles a day, can sit at a desk without pain, and can get in and out of a car without lifting my left leg, which is pretty exciting. I figure I’m 2-3 weeks from being able to fly, which means getting in and out without any drama. So far, so good.

Day 33. No cane. Walking the dog twice a day. Easily exceeding 10K steps a day with zero pain. Up and down stairs is a non event. 100% satisfied.

Great to hear this! Let us know when you take your first flight

Hear hear!
Yes, ibuprofen is amazing stuff, ain't it?

Just as a data point I'm 3 years 3 months since my right hip replacement. I literally go weeks without thinking about or remembering that I even had the surgery.

10 weeks later? My new hip is clearly my dominant hip. A right hip replacement is on the horizon. In the meantime? It sure is nice to be flying again. I was anxious when I got in the seat but it’s getting better with time. My goal is to get the right side done soon so I can avoid challenged walking on ice and there’s no way I’m wasting another summer. I don’t have enough summers left for that!

My 2nd replacement surgery is booked. The first one was in-hospital with a one night stay. My insurance reports cost at $141,000.00. That’s nuts. My second will be at a surgical center that’ll send me home same day. I’m looking forward to seeing the final statement but not as much as saying goodbye to hip pain!

Lol... Get a copy of the actual charges and payments from the hospital. It will probably be way different. When I had an angiogram, the insurance company had a negotiated rate that was about half the original bill.

Just as a data point I'm 3 years 3 months since my right hip replacement. I literally go weeks without thinking about or remembering that I even had the surgery.
I am 13 years and 10 months post. The only time I actively think about it is when putting on my right sock*. I've been asked which hip and have had to think about it before answering.

(*That's mostly true but also a private joke. It what I used to say to my surgeon at my follow up visits.)

Yay!
Just in time for the "wintery mix" season!

When two docs said it isn’t if, but when? I said now. Before hard winter and there’s no way I’m sacrificing another summer! And, FWIW, doing it before your hip is totally gone appears to make the surgery easier.

I hope you’re doing well!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back